main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST VFX Before and After: STAR WARS: The Force Awakens

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Iwannabekenobi, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xinau

Xinau Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2015
    Reminds me how much I liked that movie, and how tremendously effective the score is at key points.

Need another viewing, stat. :D

Satipo, Howard Hand and ShaneP like this.
  2. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    Very cool to see they used what appear to essentially amount to Force FX lightsabers.

Death Wizard, ukijedi and Trikuza23 like this.
  3. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I really hope that this gets nominated for Best VFX at the Oscars.

And yeah, the natural lighting really helped. It's the same reason Dawn of the Planet of the Apes looked so good.

4. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Well, the Milli Falcon said that she is hoping for TFA to win in the technical categories at the 2015 Oscars... Even if the "Best Picture" one is a long shot by several miles! =D=

This would be something like what "Inception" managed to achieve, back in 2010, by winning the Best Cinematography, Best Sound Editing, Best Sound Mixing, and Best Visual Effects, even if that movie missed out on the "Best Picture" gong! ^:)^

5. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    BB-8 is CGI for almost all the the film?
    I lost all respect for the movie.

im joking. stop it.

Dameron likes this.
  6. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    Same. I particularly love the moment when Kylo's theme plays as his shuttle emerges from behind the destruction of Maz's Castle. Very effective and frightening. It'll be a travesty of the score isn't nominated (especially if something like JunkieXL's overrated Mad Max: Fury Road score makes it in).

Xinau likes this.
  7. DisneylandFan4Life

DisneylandFan4Life Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 14, 2015

Here you go friends. Enjoy and maybe subscribe if you enjoyed the video?

8. Phteven

Phteven Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 5, 2016
    Im always reminded of Chris Nolan's approach in regards to the real vs cgi in a movie. That if you have as much real as possible, especially when filming the actors so they have tangible things to work off but also so the audience has something to hold onto, then it will come across much more organic and natural. I dont think there was a single time when I was taken out of the star wars universe whem watching TFA. Perhaps with Snoke but that may have been intentional narratively or just due to the nature of the look of the character.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Here's why I don't think TFA wins in the technical categories in all but one, visual effects, and that is it's facing a critical juggernaut in Mad Max Fury Road.

AMPAS voters will likely give Fury Road a bunch of nominations across the board but reserve the picture, directing, writing, and acting awards for the artiste films. So Mad Max will get a consolation prize by winning a handful of tech Oscars like Sound, Sound Editing, Editing, Art Direction, etc.

TFA's sole win comes from Best VFX in my opinion.

Luukeskywalker likes this.
  10. DarthBandersnatch

DarthBandersnatch Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2011
    Awesome vid. Thanks for sharing!

11. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    IMO, it's one of the primary reasons why a lot of CGI isn't believable. If I were a VFX director, I would focus a significant amount of attention on improving the way CGI is lit.

Darth Nave and Satipo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.