main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vice Presidential Debate Poll. Who Won?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Oct 5, 2004.

?

Vice Presidential Debate Poll. Who Won?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Dick Cheney

47.1%
  2. John Edwards

41.2%
  3. Tie

11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guinastasia

Guinastasia Force Ghost star 6

Jun 9, 2002
    :eek:

Does that mean Bush is Waylon Smithers?

:eek:

2. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    So edwards must have had his cancer spots removed too.

3. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Does that mean Bush is Waylon Smithers?

[face_laugh] Man you guys are on fire tonight!

4. Darth_Deus

Darth_Deus Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    Cheney is the one with the faulty memory. (Add that to the list of ailments...) Edwards never said he and Cheney had never met. Did you have cancer spots removed too?

5. liberalmaverick

liberalmaverick Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 17, 2004
    I watched the debate and I decided to give the vote to Vice President Cheney, though I think it was a pretty close match.

Cheney was clear, articulate, and showed an impressive grasp of the details. He was the perfect example of an intellectual Republican, which is rare these days and can't be said for President Bush. He laid out his assertions and facts (some of which were misleading or untrue, as has been discussed extensively in this thread) in a deliberate and systematic manner which made it easy for me to follow what he was saying. Cheney wasn't as telegenic as Edwards though, and I noticed he had a hard time making eye contact. Needless to say, while his case was well-delivered, I completely disagreed with its content.

Senator Edwards held his own, though. He too was quite clear and direct and I appreciated how he defended Senator Kerry and attacked President Bush for his own flip-flops, as well as exposing Cheney's own spotty public record. He stumbled a few times with that particular question that didn't allow Kerry to be referred to by name, though, and he interrupted Cheney once when Cheney was accusing Kerry and Edwards of "demeaning" the Iraqis. I was also a little intrigued by how Edwards was talking about health care in response to "How do we unite the electorate?"; the least he could have done was explain how health care relates to uniting the country. Though, I did also feel that Cheney got a lot more in on health care and education than Edwards.

I could barely notice the Edwards paper-ripping; in fact, I could only hear it (and even then just barely) and the camera didn't even cut to Edwards. So I don't get what's the big deal.

All in all I think both candidates did well but I have to give the slight edge to Cheney, at least on substance (which matters most to me in a debate).

6. Qui-Rune

Qui-Rune Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    LM,

I agree for the most part. Clearly the threshold between Cheney/Edwards was so much closer than Kerry/Bush. I was impressed with how Edwards did against such a seasoned offical like Cheney.
    Secretly, I think many Republicans wish Cheney was running for office. ;)

7. Depa Billaba

Depa Billaba Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 21, 1998
    liberalmaverick: Cheney was clear, articulate, and showed an impressive grasp of the details.

That's certainly the illusion that Cheney created, I'd grant you that much. In fact, I cringed when I watched the debate because Cheney did such a good job of ripping Edwards up.

But Cheney said the first time he's met Edwards is when he walked on stage (or something like that), but Cheney clearly met Edwards before. And, also, I think Cheney acted as the presiding officer of the Senate all of two times. And we can't forget the factcheck.com error. :)

Depa Billaba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.