main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vice Presidential Debate Poll. Who Won?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Mischievous, Oct 5, 2004.

?

Vice Presidential Debate Poll. Who Won?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Dick Cheney

47.1%
  2. John Edwards

41.2%
  3. Tie

11.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JenX

JenX Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    This is a great thread for bumping your post count. I'll stop editting my posts and just start double posting.

Edwards is coming off as a bit over eager, and the rule breaking is an example of that (and it sounds more like Edwards is turning a page rather then ripping one).

Cheney is calmer, and has much better one liners. Edwards is coming out with long policy based answers.

And, ooh, the democrats need to find a better coin tosser ;)

2. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    Clearly, Cheney won this debate.

We'll have to see how the more important debate coming up this Friday night goes.

It is my hope that people can objectively assess the debate, but I know that objectivity is going to be lacking in this poll.

3. Roque

Roque Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 16, 2002
    If somebody can actually "lose" a debate, then Edwards definitely lost this one.

Thought I'd something more to say...

4. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    I'm going with a tie on this one. Great one liners from Cheney though.

5. Qui-Rune

Qui-Rune Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    They both did very well. This, IMO was a far better debate than Kerry/Bush's first one.

Cheney shined on foreign policy and and hit the facts home about Kerry's political grandstanding and flip-flopping on Iraq.

I am surprised Cheney didn't go into more detail about Kerry's "Global Test". Even from that Debate Kerry manages to confuse everyone one his position and needs Edwards to try to help clarify it. First says he will never allow an international Veto, yet claims we need to pass a global test before we can act unilaterally.
    Even the Moderator was confused on Kerry's position.

I think Edwards shined on domestic policy, although Cheney didn't fall too far behind.

One point of notice:

Edwards kept trying to spin the Iraq/9-11 thing. The Bush administration CLEARLY never said or implied their was a correlation. That is a huge misinterpretation and lack of understanding on the Kerry\Edwards side...and Cheney was wise enough to point that out.

6. J-Rod

J-Rod Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 28, 2004
    Cheney obviously won this one.
    Look, even I voted that Kerry won last weeks debate. Just like Cheney did tonight, Kerry made a clearer arguement and had better composure.
    This pole isn't asking who did you agree with nor did it ask who are you voting for...it is asking who had a better performance tonight.
    Anyone who believes Edwards won this debate is simply blind as this debate wasn't even as close as Kerry's.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Edwards kept trying to spin the Iraq/9-11 thing. The Bush administration CLEARLY never said or implied their was a correlation.

Rune, you're going to get hammered on this one.

They have most certainly implied or outright stated a correlation on many an occasion, and only now have backed off that.

8. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    KW,

Show me a statement made by President Bush that says Saddam was involved in 9/11. Please also provide your source.

9. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    They have most certainly implied or outright stated a correlation on many an occasion, and only now have backed off that.

Only the news implied that...not Bush. Pay attention to what is said in speaches, not to what the news said was in the speaches!

10. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    Anyone who believes Edwards won this debate is simply blind as this debate wasn't even as close as Kerry's.

Or they just have a different opinion to you (and me).

Edwards kept trying to spin the Iraq/9-11 thing. The Bush administration CLEARLY never said or implied their was a correlation.

Show me a statement made by President Bush that says Saddam was involved in 9/11. Please also provide your source.

You do see the difference between PRESIDENT BUSH and THE BUSH ADMINISTRATION, right?

11. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    Exactly.

Just like they claim Bush said "mission Accomplished", when in fact he didn't....at that moment on that carrier he reminded the troops of the long road ahead and that there was a lot more work to do in Iraq.
    Only the sign that General Franks hung up said "Mission ACcomplished"...as a moral boost for the troops.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

I'm in no position to do so. Not really something I know a whole lot about.

But, it's safe to say that others here do, and this will be an easy point for them.

13. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    I personally don't think it was nearly as lopsided as the Bush-Kerry debate was, but Cheney clearly was the winner here.

14. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    Cheney handidly won the debate. Cheney attacked Edwards time and time again and Edwards just took it and looked like he either wanted to deck him in the face or cry.

Cheney misled or flat out lied the whole debate and Edwards didn't call him on it.

I was also disappointed with Edwards's attack on Cheney and Halliburton. All he had to say was "how many no bid contracts did we give in Iraq? One, and you just so happen to have financial ties with them and was their CEO". Instead he basically talked around the issue.

I think overall Edwards did poorly, but not poorly enough to have any adverse effect on the presidential race.

15. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002

I'm in no position to do so. Not really something I know a whole lot about.

Well then you are in NO position to make your claim.

Cheney misled or flat out lied the whole debate and Edwards didn't call him on it.

Please...everything Cheney mentioned was fact. Anything inparticular that you care to mention?

16. Darth Mischievous

Oct 12, 1999
    It is refreshing to see objectivity coming from you, Cyprusg. :)

I mean this sincerely.

I also tend to agree that this won't have much of an overall effect. However, you can be sure the media criticism of Edwards will not be as pointed as it was towards Bush.

This may effect the GOP's base, though, and energize them a bit.

17. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998

I'm pretty sure in last week's debate I heard Bush say, "The enemy attacked us", in response to a question on Iraq.

18. Cyprusg

Nov 16, 2002
    But, it's safe to say that others here do, and this will be an easy point for them.

Actually it was never directly said, but it was implied in just about every speech the President has made since 2003.

70% of americans (in late 2003) didn't come up with the conclusion that Saddam had something to do with 9/11 out of thin air. It has to do with an uneducated american public, timing, and the misleadings of the Bush administration.

19. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Cyp...I was also disappointed with Edwards's attack on Cheney and Halliburton. All he had to say was "how many no bid contracts did we give in Iraq?

Good question. Halliburton recieved at least two other no-bid contracts. Both from Clinton. One for Kosavo and one for Bosnia.

He didn't answer it 'cause he knew the answer and doesn't want you to.

20. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    I'm pretty sure in last week's debate I heard Bush say, "The enemy attacked us", in response to a question on Iraq.

Yes...and our enemy is terrorism and the regimes that support them. Saddam Hussein offered safe haven and support to terrorism. As did the taliban regime in Afghanistan.

21. JenX

Jul 26, 2002
    Halliburton recieved at least two other no-bid contracts. Both from Clinton. One for Kosavo and one for Bosnia

Clinton just lost my vote ;)

22. Cyprusg

Nov 16, 2002
    Please...everything Cheney mentioned was fact. Anything inparticular that you care to mention?

When a transcript is put up I'll show you.

Anyone notice that Cheney misspoke about that website? It's factcheck.ORG not .COM. So now a million people are going to go to a website that is nothing but an advertisement and probably gives spyware. It's funny that he obviously used that to seem like an average joe that uses the internet but instead it had the opposite effect.

23. Jediflyer

Jediflyer Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 5, 2001
    Bush linked Saddam to 9-11 when he declared war on Iraq:

I have also determined that the use of armed force against Iraq is consistent with the United States and other countries continuing to take the necessary actions against international terrorists and terrorist organizations, including those nations, organizations, or persons who planned, authorized, committed, or aided the terrorist attacks that occurred on September 11, 2001.

24. J-Rod

Jul 28, 2004
    Cyp said...70% of americans (in late 2003) didn't come up with the conclusion that Saddam had something to do with 9/11 out of thin air.

You are right...they got it from watching what the news said Bush said, instead of listening to Bush themselves. That is also why everyone thinks WMD's was the main reason for the Iraqi war.

25. Qui-Rune

May 18, 2002
    70% of americans (in late 2003) didn't come up with the conclusion that Saddam had something to do with 9/11 out of thin air. It has to do with an uneducated american public, timing, and the misleadings of the Bush administration.

I agree with the "uneducated american public" part...but could you elaborate on the misleadings of Bush to aid in this misunderstanding?

IMO, it is the LIBERALS and the Liberal Media who have mislead America into believing that Bush made claim to a 9/11 & Saddam connection. Bush NEVER said it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.