main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC VicFF's Miscellanea (Working Title for Those Who Want to be Social)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by PulsarSkate, Sep 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I heard about these insane fires. I hope no one lives too close to them. :)

Bad fire, bad [face_shame_on_you]

2. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    What is "Gtown"?

3. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    Well yesterday, I was close enough to see the traffic effects. Apparently there were some fires burning around the Frankston Freeway, and therefore traffic was diverted basically down my street. I could see traffic banking up outside my window. But thats died down now I beleive. And yes I could hear the sirens and stuff too.

But it wasn't as close as fires have come to the area. 8 years ago they were basically burning about 1 km from home in the wetlands.

4. PulsarSkate

PulsarSkate Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2003
    Geelong.

5. Koroshiya_keefu

Koroshiya_keefu Jedi Master star 2

Jan 3, 2005
    Gtown. Word. SBtown is the place to be though...

6. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Well, as you've alluded to, the laughs aren't really because Borat is crude/rude. Or at least, they shouldn't be. In the film, I think I agree with you somewhat. The laughs are more on Borat the character, and less on the responses given by his unsuspecting interviewees. In the TV series, his character is extremely clever and the laughs are found in the poor natured responses of the interviewees and what they think they can get away with with Borat's audience. With the film, it's mostly just Borat turning up with feces at the dinner table. Not so funny, and yes, I agree with you.

7. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Eh, I laughed. I cringed repeatedly. I almost forgot he was acting. But then again, I never watched the Ali G show, so maybe it's justa novelty that will wear off. *shrugs*

And seeing as we've been inactive, and we are lacking in fun round these parts, perhaps I will start a competition!

Anyone who can provide a picture of what your fellow VicFF's are doing these summer holidays/working through xmas/retail hellzors! Any kind of montage, funny paint picture, elaborate and stalkerlike reaping of myspcae photos to produce a mini animation will be accepted and I'll figure out some sort of prize. Maybe board related, maybe REAL LIFE related!

I CHOOSE YOU VICFF-A-CHU!

8. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    I am soon gong down to ACMI to see the open exhibition of 80s software from Beam and Melbourne House

9. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    I'm quite looking forward to that! I'm going this week!

10. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Well Skate, I arranged Australia's 2nd and 3rd computer graphics artists who worked for Melbourne house to come to my uni and give talks, and I have the dvds lol. No.1, who by all accounts was Russell Comte I think still works for the company. which i think was digested by Infograms. I saw all the character sheets for the LOTF games and The Hobbit. Some of which were used as character guides by Peter Jackson beciase they were so detailed and accurate

11. Jedi_Knight88

Jedi_Knight88 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 18, 2005
    I found Tempest in Reader's Feast!

Yay!

12. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Yay! The owner of that place is A PAIN IN THE ARSE! I have to talk to her every day on the phone and she makes me want to vomit in TERRORS!

BUt yay for finding the book :D

13. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Hey Jess! Any jobs going at your work for my girlfriend? :p She loves books and wants to get a job anywhere involving books (part-time/casual, mind you :p ) but can't seem to nail one yet... :(

14. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    I'll check for you, but right now it's probably a bit lean on the ground...after christmas might have something. :)

15. TheBoogieMan

Nov 14, 2001
    Ah well, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. :p Thanks anyway. :)

16. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Hooray for bookstores.

Being in Tasmania, doing rounds in country second hand book stores is a must, because nobody picks up the good stuff. I found a 1978 edition of Han Solo at Stars' End. It's pretty awesome, being probably the first EU book ever written, and there isn't one mention of Star Wars, it's just 'characters and situations created by George Lucas.'

I also found some more old Fighting Fantasy books I don't own, in prime condition for a buck each! Hurrah!

17. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    Fighting Fantasy...:p

I found 4 Shadowrun books for the fella in Barwon Heads. Possibly the surprise awesome gift of the century!

18. Jedi_Knight88

Jan 18, 2005
    HAIL on Christmas Eve?!

That's truly Melbourne weather...hope you all have a very merry Christmas!

(Want me to break into song in the style of the Star Wars Holiday Special? :p )

19. Senator_Elegos_A-Kla

Senator_Elegos_A-Kla Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 18, 2001
    It is a Merry X-mas for I am not working - AT ALL. On X-Mas Eve w00t!

Merry Chrissie to all, and don't over-indulge yourself too much!

20. Koroshiya_keefu

Jan 3, 2005
    Yes Merry Christmas to all! Am sitting on Dad's iMac in the living room! We're all about to have lunch! Quiet un-eventful Christmas days for the win!

21. PulsarSkate

Nov 4, 2003
    A very Merry Holiday Thing to everyone! [:D]

I hope that wherever you are, you had a great day

22. SirNickTheTiny

SirNickTheTiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2005
    LOOK! I'M HERE!*

HO HO HO! (the Santa saying not....)

Merry Christmas from myself here in Belgium, have a good one (I know, I'm a day late :p)

Who is winning the cricket?

kbye

*Limited time offer. Only while stocks last.

23. Jedi_Knight88

Jan 18, 2005
    For those who braved the Boxing Day sales...kudos! After a tip from a friend, I popped into Reader's Feast today and found that they were indeed having 50% off selected Star Wars books!

And by 'selected', it was mostly stuff from the Bantam line- e.g Truce at Bakura, the Corellian trilogy, K.W Jeter's Bounty Hunter series, but I also saw Specter of the Past, and I finally got my own copy of one of my favourites, Wraith Squadron, for $9. In good condition too.

Hope you all had a great Christmas! How was Christmas in Belgium?

24. SirNickTheTiny

SirNickTheTiny Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 20, 2005
    Congrats on the bargains!

Christmas in Belgium is weird because my parents are in Aus...

They did send me some of the Christmas stockings with lollies in them and it was great to see a label in English. They also gave me $150 because they couldn't really get me anything else.

My Belgian family don't give presents on Christmas (the story gets better though). BUT my parents (after a little bit of persuasion) gave into the Light side of the Force and I made them buy me an Obi-Wan Kenobi ROTS LE Lightsaber from Master Replicas :)

Star Wars FTK!

So I'm happy.

And my Christmas present to VicFF is me actually being here (3 times in 3 days! :eek:)

25. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Great news Nick! :)

Hope you all had a good NYE. 'Cause now it's 2007! ;)

Have a good one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.