main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Victorian Fires - "All Wings Report In"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    Great to hear. We just got 6 inches of SNOW on March 1, whih is late for where I live, but I am sure you Aussies are scratching your heads. I used to live a bit further north (south is warmer for us and north is cooler) and we got snow on Easter sometimes. That was rare.

The last of the snow melted yesterday and we are expecting temps in the 70's (for you guys it is a little over 21 degrees) for this weekend. Also a few of my friends in the Nashville Fanforce are meeting on Saturday. But I still like being one you you guys! (Okay, here is somoe southern US lingo for you... "Y'all"---it means "You all.")

Okey-day, off topic, sorry. It is okay tha I chat with you guys in your fanforce, right? Even though I am not Aussie? This is the only place I have been in the Victoria F, but I would not mind venturng. Any suggestions? Also, a little late, but bug kudos to your own AUssie, Heath Ledger for winning the Oscar. He was awesome

Kim
    Friend of Australia and Aussie wannabe :p

2. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Chat where you like, we're not proud.

I do recall being in a Diner in Florida and the waiter walks over and says "Hey Y'all, Y'all ready to order now Y'all?"

I just looked at him and said "could you have fitted Y'all into the sentence one more time?"

He replied..."Nope" and just grinned at me.

3. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    That is so funny. And true. It is worse in Tennessee. I am from the north and we do not speak like that. I have been here, in Tennessee, for half my life and I do slip now and then, but for the most part, I have the generic American accent. I think ;) Thanks for welcoming me. I shall lurk and see where my bud Tahiri is. Well, she is on vacation (holiday) now, but since I want to move to Australia, I would like to learn a bit and make friends. You seem to be a very friendly lot.

[:D]

4. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    I just heard you had an earthquake. Everyone okay? The news says it was not major. Just checking on my friends!

5. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
  6. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    Thanks for the update. My hubby, who is from Los Angeles, just told me a 4.6 is not bad. SO I am relieved.

7. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    It was pretty mild...still made us jump though.

Australia is VERY stable when it comes to quakes, mostly we get temors....if we get anything...and that's all.

Last shaker I remember was about 25 years ago, and that was just a 5.2 tremor.

8. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    There was a good sized one in Newcastle a while back now, I remember it did a fair bit of damage. We live on a fault line where we are, but its a moving one. The roads in the area are constantly being patched up and fixed as the earth moves under them...so as long as they move, we are safe. I love Plate Tectonics!!!

9. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    For kicks, my hubby, who is from Los Angeles, took me on a drive along the San Andreas Fault Line(the one that causes all the Californial Earthquakes). You could see cracks all over the place. Eerie if you ask me. But at least I can say I was there. Yeah, my husband is not fearful of Earthquakes, but put him near a tornado warning and he is scared like a child. We have WARNINGS for those Dan so we can prepare. LOL!!!!!

10. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    Ah, good to be back from the holiday, but I miss it. All the family was there and we had soo much fun!

I didn't feel the tremor unlike a lot of people I know, I was kind of shocked. LOL

11. Jaden1138

Feb 2, 2009
    That is a relief Brooke, I was worried about you, youngling.

12. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    Being closer to the epicentre from the tremor in the East, I'll admit that I kinda crapped myself a bit.

I was watching a movie when the first part hit and it was like once of those huge gusts of wind that makes the house creak, then a second later everything shook quite a lot but was all over in an instant. My first thought was of a large 747 flying just over the roof tops but its sound wave hadn't hit yet - I was almost expecting to hear the crash of it a few doors down.

I went outside I saw that there was no wind and no airplane crash, in fact for a moment I thought I experienced the whole thing in my head because it was so quiet, then people started coming out of their houses and it was my neighbour who twigged that it was a tremor.

I tell ya what though, if it had lasted longer than an instant I'm sure my roof would've come down. As it is nothing was damaged and no collectables fell off the shelf :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.