main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Victoria. BC Victoria's SECOND EVENT/MEETING

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Qui-Dawn, Mar 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Well, on the whole I think we had a very productive and enjoyable second official meet tonight, those of us who were there....and naturally we missed those of you who couldn't make it - get better right soon, Derisa! :) And, in particular - I daresay that we *really* missed those folk(s) who were supposed to show up, and rather eagerly expected to do so....yet did not. And, yes, I'm aware that was a hint as broad as all outdoors and subtle as a brick to the head. Oh well, there's nothin' for it. ;)

Here's *really* hoping all the more that we'll actually see some of these new faces, so eagerly anticipated already, at our next meet.... Don't worry, Rani's already workin' on that one and she'll let us all know - right? - so I'd say we're in very good hands with her. :)

Dawn.

2. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    ::looks askance:: Well, the amount of enthusiasm and/or interest that's being displayed on our board here is positively *remarkable*....gosh, I'm so *stunned* about how gung-ho we all are. And yes, that was sarcasm, in case it was ever in doubt....

I've been thinking further on lining up for Episode II, doing it where it is at present tentatively planned for....or, at the very least, where ideas have been bruited about for us to hold it....and I now have some concerns about that. If our main reason for lining up and suchlike is that it's part of the whole experience of seeing the movie itself, and it's *fun*, more importantly, and *that* is our main motivation....if that's the primary reason we're doing it....then, great. On the other hand, if the primary motivation for lining up and doing everything else is in order to garner media attention, to get local station coverage and whatnot....if *that* is one of the main reasons, if not *the* main reason, period, as it seems to me it might be just now....well, *that* is what I have a major concern with.

Because, to me, the whole issue about "oooh, how much attention can we get?" just isn't the best reason to do the whole lineup thing; there are *far* better reasons for it, and if they're not even considered, well....I just have reservations, that's all. And, yes, this in turn leads me to think again of holding it - whatever "it" turns out to be - at Silvercity. I know I've mentioned this before, but so what? *I* don't feel it's totally resolved.... I mean, if media coverage is the big priority, then people may be thinking of the downtown theatre for it. Then again, if media coverage is the major priority, then that in itself is a problem to me. But in terms of actually enjoying the *movie* itself to the fullest, best extent....which *should* be our main objective, and it's *my* sole priority at least....well, we just can't do any better than Silvercity. Which is why I still think that we should go *there* for it.

You see, if we then do what we want to *there*, at Silvercity....if we do the whole lineup thing, the whole schbang, *there* instead....then the attention and any media coverage will follow. If we do it right, what we really want to, then the rest of it will follow, and be a nice result only.

For me - the *movie* is the main priority right now, it's *my* sole focus....enjoying the *film* to the hilt, in the best possible surroundings....*that* should come first. Everything else can be worked out around that....

In my purview, anyway,

Dawn. (feeling outnumbered but still emphatic)

3. Master_Dao_Rin

Master_Dao_Rin Jedi Youngling

Mar 17, 2002
    Well, like I said - I cannot make it on any day except FRIDAY OR SATURDAY. If the meetings continue to be on Wednesdays, I won't be able to meet you ...

Email me and I'll give you my phone number, since this forum thing doesn't seem to be working out.

I agree with you QD, I'm not doing this for the media attention, I just want to see the film with a bunch of pumped up fans on the first showing of the first day. You can't beat the experience of watching a brand new Star Wars movie that nobody has seen before - the cheering is awesome! :D

4. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    How many were there for the second meeting?

5. Qui-Dawn

Jul 8, 2000
    Master Dao_Rin,

Well, I'd gladly E-mail you except....I don't know your address. :) Eeeep! No worries, though....my E-mail is:

uu763@victoria.tc.ca

Hope that works. :) And I'm so glad you agree on the whole waiting-in-line thing....that if the movie's the sole, ultimate payoff - as indeed it *is*, I'd be surprised if that was ever in doubt - then we should make that a worthy experience and, to me, of the highest priority. Really, we owe it that. :) And I know it may seem like I'm harping on doing the whole thing at Silvercity, but that's only because dollar for dollar, with the sound and screen and sheer encompassing quality of the theatre - you just can't ask for *anything* better, or more fitting and stellar environs for the film. Something like this, yet *only* this, should be seen the biggest, best, purest and most spectacular way possible. And to me, this is it....I honestly can't imagine settling for less! :)

Dawn.

6. _Derisa_Ollamhin_

_Derisa_Ollamhin_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2000
    Hey Dawn, et all.

I don't think anybody's main interest in planning the line-up is media attention. We're going to get attention by wandering around in robes and pilot's uniforms regardless. :) Rani's idea of doing Speaker's Corner in costume, either before or after the movie, was as far as we got in the theme of media attention.

I'm in contact with the theatre's media liaison, and I think we should work *with* them, especially if we want to have anything to do with whatever charity showings they are offering or their special events. If they want the attention at their SilverCity location, then we should be assisting them there. If they'd prefer downtown, then downtown it is. If they don't expect a lineup at SilverCity, (and frankly it's set up to avoid line-ups as a phenomenon, so...) then they won't have contingency plans for a line-up there. I suspect there will be a line-up downtown, and considerably less of one at SilverCity, simply by reason of the layout of the theatres, but we will have to wait and find out what they have planned or arranged.

As well, as Rani pointed out at the first meeting, there's no reason we couldn't go to see it in both locations. If the idea is to be with hyped up fans: we should be where they are. If there's a line-up, we should be in it, wherever it is. Looking at the two locations, I think it far more likely that there will be a line-up downtown, but it may be that SilverCity will be having an opening night gala, or an earlybird charity showing, in which case... we have a couple of us hold our line-up spots downtown, and the rest of us do whatever at SilverCity...

Regardless, I don't think we can make the plans until the Famous Players special events manager gets back to us with specific information. :)

Patience is the most Jedi of virtues... :)

*Derisa*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.