main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Victorville Christmas Parade 2008

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Symina, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    So guys, do we for real want to make a float for this parade? If we do, we need to get moving on it. At one of the 501st's SCGie meetings, general consensus was that our friends there are happy to help again, and like the idea of having the float for the parade, particularly to have Chris Cerillo's carbonite Han displayed on it.

First of all, we need to figure out a trailer situation. Does anyone have one or know of someone who might lend us one?

Second, we need to draw up a design for the float itself. I made a VERY ROUGH sketch of what it could look like. Don't laugh at Han. Okay, go ahead.

[image=http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e56/sohall/float.jpg]

P.S. Didn't realize there was a bunch of extra white area when I did that. Click on the orange square that pops up in the bottom right hand corner(if you hover your mouse there) to enlarge it.

The basic construction wouldn't be all that hard, just plywood, and for the lights, we could use those plastic sheets you use in kitchen lighting, painted orange/yellow, maybe with lights behind them (don't know how well that would show up in daytime, though.)

Third, we need a place for the fabrication. We'd also need to schedule some work days, or, have different people make different parts of it and then bring it together and finish it together on a work day. (I personally think that's the better option since it's so hard to schedule a time and place for different people to meet. We'd all be working on the same blueprint so we know what the measurements are of the other person's pieces.

What do you think????

2. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I have a place to store everything. It's actually a separate yard from the dogs.

FYI: The parade date it Saturday, December 6th.

3. jedi_onasi

jedi_onasi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    [face_laugh]

Just kidding. ;) I think it's cute actually.

Are we going to have Jabba Claus then??? lol
    Could we get santa hats for the troopers?

4. UsedToBeUndercover

UsedToBeUndercover Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2007
    YIKES! Less than four months to work! [face_worried]

I'm willing to help with anything I can.

So would this be on top of a flatbed? Which characters would be on the float? Which ones marching? It'd be cool if we could actually get a Luke this year. *shrugs* oh, well.

5. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    Maybe we'll get more assist from our Imperial and Rebel friends.
    Is someone going to post on their boards??
    And Sunrider's??

Oh yeah, do we know what the theme is?

6. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Yeah, I know, it's coming up fast. I know I could get Darren to do a good portion of it. Yes, that would be on top of the flatbed. I think if we had Vader and Boba Fett up there that would be good, there's not any Lukes around that I'd be able to say off the bat would come (since it is most definitely the outer rim, and we have a heck of a time as it is getting anyone to come out to the IE). I don't know if we'd have room for much more than that.I plan on having my Boushh Leia done so I can walk along the side.

So we need a flatbed trailer!

7. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    [face_laugh] hahaahaha![face_laugh]

:p

If we invite other groups we need to make sure we do all the discussions and arrangements on these boards so everyone knows what's going on.

8. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Sorry Nikol, I didn't see your post before I posted. I did PM Glen (and Curtis) to let him know we're discussing it here. Since we don't have all the info yet, do you think it's a good idea to post on other boards? When we do post on the other boards, we should discuss here, update on the other boards. We don't want to make people sign up here to be able to see what's going on.

*edit* I just called the Chamber of Commerce, they won't know what the theme is until the middle of September. Like Kari said, it's Dec. 6th, 10 am til noon.

9. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    'sok.

Well, I was thinking if we wanted some troopers and a Vader, we'd have to let them know somehow.

Could we have Vader reading Twas the Night Before Christmas to the Troopers on the float. And the troopers could wear their helmets and footy pajamas. ;)

10. UsedToBeUndercover

Dec 19, 2007
  11. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005

12. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Maybe making the float will be a little too much this year since we'll run out of time really quickly. Maybe we should do a "Vader as Santa" themed float (with the stormtroopers wearing elf hats!). We could have a Christmas tree and presents and a fake chimney! Just make it really silly this year. How does that sound? The rest of us can have hats on or tinsel or something fun.

Kari since it's your town do you want to be the go-to person? If not I'm willing to.

13. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    How do you feel about co-chairing it, Sonya? I've got a feeling it might be a bit too much for me to do alone.

One of the main things I want to do is get the car/parking logistics figured out. Third time's a charm, right? We did better last year, but still needs much improvement.

14. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Sure! I'd be happy to help as much as I can. Yes, we DEFINITELY need to have transportation down PAT this time. We'll need wranglers READY at the end of the parade with vehicles for pickup.

What do you think about the Christmas-themed idea, Kari? I think that will be so much easier than getting stuff built. I've got a fake tree that we can use. You're Madame President so I say you make the final call.

Oh yeah, and we can rent an 6' x 12' trailer from U-Haul for like $30. Anyone have a hitch?

15. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I like the Christmas themed idea. It'd be a lot easier. Maybe we can work our way up to a more detailed float design later.

What about transportation? A pickup? A flatbed? A trailer? What would pull it? My Blazer is set up for towing so if it's needed that's fine. Because it's basic white, it could be decorated any way needed.

If we're working on this together, Sonya, it will be a joint decision. No Madame President stuff.

16. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    Sure! I'd be happy to help as much as I can. Yes, we DEFINITELY need to have transportation down PAT this time. We'll need wranglers READY at the end of the parade with vehicles for pickup.

What do you think about the Christmas-themed idea, Kari? I think that will be so much easier than getting stuff built. I've got a fake tree that we can use.

Yeah, silly would work. And we can just decorate it up all Christmas like. Santa or elf hats would be really cute.

What would be the best way to get everyone back to their cars? Does anyone have a van??? Or should the cars be at the end and someone could leave one or two cars back at the beginning with everyone's stuff? Either way I think everyone is going to do a little bit of waiting unless we have enough cars.

Maybe Bill could record some music. "Womp rats roasting on an open fire. Salacious Crumb nipping at your nose." ;)

17. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Yes, your blazer would be a great idea. You need to find out how much the hitch can tow. I think for the 6' x 12' trailer (I think that's a good size) the hitch has to be Class 2 (able to pull a minimum 3500 lbs.).If not we can always figure something out. :)

Maybe we can pile everyone on the float after the parade and cart them back? That could solve that problem.

I'm excited!

18. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    If the police men let us tow everyone back. :p

We have some time. I'm sure we can figure something out. Ask the 501st men. One of them HAS to have something that can tow a trailer. :D

19. UsedToBeUndercover

Dec 19, 2007
    Oh, well. Maybe we can do serious next year. [face_tired]

Or maybe have the troopers/marchers arranged like a choir, each wearing a Santa hat, and a Jedi using his/her lightsaber to conduct!

"On the first day of Christmas, Darth Vader sent to me...." [face_laugh]

You know, I've got a few Star Wars Christmas parody songs we could do...;)

OR...! Play music from the 'Christmas in the Stars' album and have all the characters decorating the tree as we go; then by the end, we could have a fully decked-out tree to take to the Christmas party!

Or maybe have everyone opening a Christmas present on the way; and end with Vader dumping out a stocking full of coal. :D

20. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    I think all the other people on floats get to ride back on theirs, so I think we'd be okay.

21. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    We can also have vehicles parked at the end of the parade. We'll carpool to the beginning of the parade instead of the other way around. I don't know how long it would take to get the float back to the beginning with all the road blocks and such. There's time to figure that out. It's nice to hear some ideas!

I've got a pop-up tent trailer that I tow, so I don't think weight will be a problem. The Blazer is available if needed. Whatever works is good.

What we need to find is something to tow! :D

22. jedi_onasi

Apr 3, 2006
    I just thought the first year someone was going to give the troopers a ride back but police wouldn't let them. Dunno. Maybe there's a way we can find out??

23. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Honestly, I don't think they'll have any info at this time, so it would be useless to call the City Council. I didn't get a lot of final information until a week or so before the parade last year.

One of my top priorities is making sure everyone has a ride back to their vehicles in a timely manner. That's why I'm thinking a lot of cars should be parked at the end of the parade. As mentioned, we have time and that's number one on my list!

Sonya, how about each of us come up with a list of what needs to be done. Hopefully, once they're combined, we'll cover everything.

24. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    I like the idea of carpooling from the end of the parade. Very good idea.

Okay, we'll both come up with a list of stuff we'd need.

25. TK-602

TK-602 Jedi Youngling

Jan 3, 2006
    Hey guys.
    Sorry for the late responce. I'm not going to participate in the parade, just to let you know, and unfortunately Chris will be in Afganistan around that time, so there goes that idea. I have a lot to cordinate with Toys for Tots and I promised Tiff I'd stay home from events for awhile. So I'm gonna concentrate on the IES and T4Ts and after Loma LInda kinda disapear. I love parades so take lots of pics and I'll try to bring the fam out to watch.

Later,
    Glen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.