main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA Victorville Christmas Parade 2008

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Symina, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
  2. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    Okay...we have access to a 20ft trailer:)

3. Symina

Symina Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Hey Mike, did I happen to tell you how awesome you are? =D=

4. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Cara_Undercover_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2006
    YES!!!!!!=D=

Go Mike! [face_dancing]

5. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    A few ideas for decorations for the float:

A skinny Christmas tree

http://www.target.com/Curly-Garland-Red-Hoop-Tree/dp/B001A64BQM/sr=1-7/qid=1224003831/ref=sr_1_7/601-1008452-2008148?ie=UTF8&index=target&field-browse=1038616&rh=k:christmas%20tree,n:728011011,p_36:$25-$49&page=1

I like the red, but it also comes in green. I think the red gives it a different kind of look from the traditional green. We are, after all, anything but a traditional Christmas parade entry!

Metallic fringe to go around the length of the trailer

A fireplace for Vader to kick back by:

I was also thinking about getting some plastic candy canes to place along the sides of the trailer at intervals. We could probably find some used ones for cheap on eBay or Craigslist.

***ARRRR! for the life of me I can't get the link to Target's website to work. You'll have to cut and paste the link.***

Okay, I guess you can click on the link it created and it does work. Sigh.

6. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    Before anybody goes out and buys something, let's all check our stored Christmas stuff. Because I buy stuff after Christmas, I sometimes forget what I've got.

7. HanChewie

HanChewie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2006
    I know we have plastic candy canes that you are talking about. I think we have 12 or maybe less. Glad to donate. I think we might have some more tinsel, too. Yes, I do get stuff from after Christmas on sale/clearence. Not sure what else I have. I vote for the red tree. Yes we are so not traditional. Makes it more fun.

8. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    Hmm, sounds cool! Only when it's being decorated, remember to secure things tight; remember the wind last year? We wouldn't want to be 'Gone with the Wind' instead of SW. ;)

9. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Sandy, we're Star Wars people. I think we let a lot of 'traditional things' fly out the window many years ago! [face_laugh]

10. HanChewie

Jul 3, 2006
    Kari, you are so right. [face_laugh]

11. MommyJedi

MommyJedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 22, 2007

LOL! Carrie, that was funny...

Sonya, Darth Vader HAS to have a RED tree. I mean, come on, HE'S Darth Vader after all.... a Sith

12. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    I was at Target tonight and I saw the red tree. I hadn't looked yet at your link Sonya, but when I saw that tree I thought it would be perfect and was going to tell you guys about it. I think you had a GREAT choice!

13. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Oh good! I'm glad it looks good in person.

14. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    I need to use up some vacation time, so I've got the day before the parade off, so that should be good for getting the trailer together. I figure we can probably get most of it done the day before?

15. HanChewie

Jul 3, 2006
    Just thought I would let you know that Brittany and myself saw the red tree that is at Target. I almost purchased it, but knew we would talk about this at the next meeting. It is quite cute. I does light up. Were we going to try to light it up? I know we will talk about this later.

16. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Since it's going to be daytime, I don't think there's much sense in using lights on the tree. Saves us the hassle of trying to figure out a power source, too.

Okay guys, it's time to start collecting items for our float! If you think of something else that might look good, let me know! If you'd like to pitch in and pick an item to buy, that would be great. We can bring our stuff together at our next meeting on the 15th, or if you're not going, you can always tell me what you'd like to buy and send me the money for it.

Christmas tree: Kari
    Cardboard fireplace: Sonya
    Black ball ornaments: (like this)
    Black garland (if it can be found):
    Skirting for a 20' trailer: (something like this)
    Plywood for a back: (I really want something so Vader and the Emperor don't go tumbling off! We can either paint it or cover it in brick-printed paper, which brings me to:)
    Brick-print paper: (like this)

I'm sure these things can be found locally in stores. Mike, I'm going to need to come up and look at the trailer soon. Everyone let me know your thoughts and if I missed anything! Oh yeah, I plan on making a paper mache Death Star for the tree topper!

17. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Sonya, I love the idea of the black Christmas balls on the red tree!

I was thinking about Star Wars ornaments, but you wouldn't be able to see what they were from the street, so it would be a total waste. The red and black will make it all look really dynamic! So glad you're in charge of that part!!!!!! Can't wait to see your Death Star!

I'll probably put the tree up in my house for Christmas. It will definitely add some pizazz to the livingroom!

18. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    I found some black garland on line. I like the black balls, they look great. Do you think they'd be better in something other than glass if they can be found? I'm afraid if it's windy or the trailer jiggles too much they could fall off and break. I"ll check it out to see if there's any made of plastic instead. Sonya do you all ready have the fireplace? There's one on this site I found called http://www.partycheap.com that is $4.80. They also have brick fireplace paper. That's where I found the garland. Let me know if the fireplace paper and garland is ok and I'll get it. Also, if you don't have the fireplace yet, I can order that too. Just let me know.

19. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Thank you Debbie, plastic balls would probably be a good idea. There is a fireplace on Shindigz.com that is bigger, 30 x 38, which I think would be a good idea to get since it's bigger. I'm going to check the Party Plus in town to see if they've got one like it, if not, I'll go ahead and order it. If you'd like to pick up some plastic balls or garland, or both, that would be wonderful. :)

20. HanChewie

Jul 3, 2006
    Would you still need the plastic candy canes for the trailer? I have some, but can get more if need be. Tried the link and all it said was it was not working. Of course that could be our problem, but not sure. I think that plastic ornaments would be much better. Finding black garland should hopefully not be a problem since I saw some black trees at Walmart the other day. They were not very big in size. I will go back soon to look over more of their stuff.

21. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    We might still use the candy canes, Sandy, thanks again for offering them. Don't go out and buy more, though.

22. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I need to make a Target run (I LOVE the new Super-Target!), so I'll be picking up the tree!!!

Sonya, do you want to do something little to my Blazer for the parade? Just to Christmas it up a bit?

23. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    It's official... we have a Christmas tree!

24. Cara_Undercover_Jedi

Nov 3, 2006
    YAY!!!!!! =D= [face_dancing]

So how are we going to go about decorating that bad boy? Will there be a specfic place and time?

25. Symina

Nov 8, 2006
    Thanks again, Kari! What about garlands and those Christmas window clings for your Blazer? And maybe one of those pretty wreaths made out of ball ornaments for the grill? There's some more items to put on the list!

Cara, since the tree is only going to have those black ball ornaments and some black garland, it's not going to take more than a few minutes to decorate it. It'll probably fit into the backseat of someone's vehicle (or maybe your Blazer, Kari) already decorated without it getting messed up much.

I also checked again with Chris Cerillo to make sure he's still planning on coming and bringing Han/and/or R2. He said he's got to convince his wife about bringing Han, but I asked him if he could give me dimensions on Han so we can see if we can squeeze everyone on there. Otherwise, it'll have to be either Han or R-2. I personally am fine with whatever he can bring. If we get R-2 then we can make it look like he's decorating the tree or something like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.