main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph VICTORY FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF KOREA AGAINST THE IMPERIALISTS AT SONY

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Dec 16, 2014.

1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Doing an airdrop of 'The Interview' DVDs into North Korea is just going to make North Koreans think that american movies really, really suck.

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Read the article. The guy was inspired by Titanic. The bar is low.

anakinfansince1983 and EHT like this.
  3. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    The world has been waiting for a new franchise of buddy road movies to rival the classic partnership of Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. Coming in late 2015, Seth Rogan and James Franco take on Boko Haram with hilarity ensuing.

But who will be the next Dorothy Lamour?

4. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This movie is so bad I plan on collapsing the universe and starting all over again.

5. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
  6. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I wasn't quite sure about wanting to see this movie at first, but now I'm interested. Thanks, North Korea!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    **** yeah.

8. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  9. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's completely within their right to do so... but it's a fairly depressing decision. And I wasn't even planning on seeing the damn thing.

10. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Pack it all in guys. The terrorists won.

11. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    always bet on juche

12. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Now they can face cyber attacks from pro-American groups. Cowardice to intimidation and threats can't be tolerated after all.

Drac39 likes this.
  13. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, I was hoping they would just decide not to show it based on how stupid it looks.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I wanted to see it before all this mess and now just want to see it even more. It may look "stupid" but it still looks HIGHlarious.

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The point of your pun there couldn't be more blunt.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Honestly, I think that helps.

If this was say a threat against showing the Avengers 2 because it filmed in South Korea, no way in hell do I see theaters turning that one down. We'd sooner see them posting guards and metal detectors in every theater than pass on the audience numbers for that film. Same for The Force Awakens, Batman vs Superman, Hunger Games and the other big blockbuster films. Likewise if this had happened when Lincoln was released or the upcoming Selma, I don't see theaters backing away. But because of what this movie is and because it was probably going to do poorly anyway, most theaters are fine with not showing it rather than actually risk the mere chance of an attack. The fact is, the movie wasn't that appealing to people to begin with. It's another Rogen/Franco stoner looking comedy that would have mildly performed well but was never going to beat either Unbroken or Into the Woods to begin with. The bulk of its money will be found in On Demand, HBO/Starz and Netflix. So for these theaters, that just might mean more screens for those other films and Hobbit 3. It's not a huge loss to them as I doubt they expected a lot of people to be packing into the theater on Christmas day to see this film. For Sony however, this is just another massive blow.

17. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't think anybody cares about Unbroken.

Yodaminch and Darth Tunes like this.
  18. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Trailers are still out though?

19. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've seen TV ads for it every day this week.

20. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I agree, but they're not afraid of terrorists as much as they're afraid of lawyers. This is a "cover our butts" decision, no less.

People are laughing and joking about it but personally I think it is a blow to artistic freedom.
    What makes you think it was going to do poorly? The last Rogen/Franco movie pulled in a very respectable $100 million domestically. Not exactly my type of film and I really am not planning to see it, but I'm disappointed to see these decision made out of fear.

21. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    In other news the Necromancer and Smaug have threatened to attack any theatre showing 'Battle of the Five Armies' with their legions of orcs in retaliation for the film's negative portrayal of the worker's paradise of Mordor...

Sith-I-5, Frank T., Alpha-Red and 9 others like this.
  22. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    It is, it also sends a message that a bunch of idiots online can stop any movie now. Just start saying there will be violence and theater chains will pull it rather than risk law suits.

Beezer likes this.
  23. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012

Ghost of Adolf Hitler demands that Criterion pull all copies of The Great Dictator.

Drac39 likes this.
  24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    "A bunch of idiots online" should be the Time Magazine Person of the Year just for Gamergate, let alone this.

Frank T., EHT, Point Given and 2 others like this.
  25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Can I steal this?

Jabbadabbado likes this.