main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph VICTORY FOR THE DEMOCRATIC PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC OF KOREA AGAINST THE IMPERIALISTS AT SONY

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Guy, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Sony's already exploring VOD options, so no, it will never see the light of day! [face_skull]

2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    And how many cartoons have shown (or attempted to show) an image of Muhammad since that incident?

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Roughly as many as before.

4. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    They were afraid of losing out on Chinese money. So yes, they were "afraid".

5. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Exactly my point.

Also announced today was the cancellation of a Steve Carell movie set in North Korea. So sure, we won't see any "increase" in the number of threats because this particular threat has not only scared away Sony, but another movie production as well.

I'm not exactly losing any sleep over this whole thing, I just think it is a sad day for artistic freedom when there are 2 movies we won't be able to see as originally planned because people were afraid.

6. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    This is sad, now we will never get a prequel to Stealth. :p

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Except that is literally the opposite of your point.
    But hey, move those goalposts, you're concerned about artistic freedom.

8. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    This is all Sony's fault for messing up Spider-Man. [face_devil]

9. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Beezer plz respond.

10. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I seriously doubt this movie will get buried in the vault after all the money that's been spent. Depending on how afraid of violence supposedly connected to the movie Sony is, it'll either get a limited release with no publicity in February, when the weather's bad and audience levels are low, or a direct-to-DVD release later in 2015.

By then some other studio will get hacked and a new controversy involving another "offensive" movie will get started up.

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006

You think deciding not to antagonize a large portion of the market is akin to being 'afraid?'

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    What about all the movies that Sony doesn't greenlight, for whatever reason? Is that, too, an assault on artistic freedom?

I really wouldn't make a decision Sony made because of bad PR over their crappy data protection practices 1. a story about artistic liberty and 2. a story about power politics.

That's giving this whole thing way more gravity than it deserves. The only thing about this incident that I think is remotely serious is the data breach itself and the harm it may cause to Sony employees, contractors, and their families.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  13. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Afraid of losing China's dollars, perhaps.

Darth-Lando likes this.
  14. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    This has played out like an episode of Black Mirror. This is a scary prospect that sets a dangerous precedent for other movies or works of art. The intersection of cyber terrorism with entertainment is a new form of censorship. I don't know what options Sony is considering, this whole thing has cost them untold hundreds of millions between fixing their infrastructure to the loss of intellectual property and trade secrets. From a consumer standpoint (not sure what the business cost/benefit is) I'd love to see them release the movie on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and/or video on demand. I think that would be the ultimate statement that you cannot stop this from mass consumption and we cannot be coerced and extorted.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Firstly, this isn't a work of art. It is a product. Secondly, I'm not going to make a next point because I don't care.

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    At least we still have Leslie Nielson killing 8 real world dictators in the first 3 minutes of a movie

Kenneth Morgan and Darth-Lando like this.
  17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003

I'm not saying this movie is a work of art. I said it sets a dangerous precedent for other movies or works of art.

18. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Where were these bastards in 1999 when I was gleefully lining up to buy my tickets for TPM?

And now they've won, does that mean no more leaks? :(

19. EmpireForever

Mar 15, 2004
    Except it doesn't. A movie studio decided to pull it. It sets no precedent whatsoever.

20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013

@jabbadabadoo

Frank T. and Darth Tunes like this.
  21. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Decided to pull it in regards to threats. That's a precedent whether you care for the movie or not

22. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    So...what exactly is this movie about, and what does it have to do with North Korea?

Uhh no, actually it kind of jibes with the whole American respect-for-freedom-of-spech way of dealing with things.

23. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Art has always been threatened, from the destruction of the Phillips of Chrastanium in 500BC by the roman soldiers to the rape of Shia Lebuff last year. And yet it always finds a way.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Darth-Seldon likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Random hashtag Ebola has you agreeing? Releasing it so further secrets are revealed has you agreeing? I can only assume you disagree with reality?