main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

San Joaquin, CA Video Footage Advice for CIII

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Kai_Vandekar, Apr 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Hey guys, this is a topic that got brought up over on the SF boards, and I posted the following there. However, I wanted to also mention it to you, since you're doing such a cool routine and (frankly) I'll cry if I don't get to see it one day. ;) Anyway, the word is that there is no video allowed at CIII, or at least specifically at the cabaret/masquerade. So, for what it's worth, here's my advice to y'all...

Plant friends in the audience with good digital still cameras with the video function enabled and on maximum resolution (plus a good large video card). A friend of ours took video of us (using his digital camera) performing at a LOTR convention a while back and kindly gave me the footage on a CD. I took it assuming it'd have crappy resolution once I put it onto a DVD and stuck it onto the TV, and was stunned at how good it was.

Even my camera, which only has a 300 or so resolution for video footage, produces video that looks pretty good when seen on a TV with its slightly lower screen resolution.

And the best part is that since STILL photos are allowed, nobody is going to yell at people in the audience for pointing a normal digital camera at the stage. While you can try to smuggle a real video camera in, make sure that you also plant people with the digital cameras on movie mode, so that if your video camera is confiscated, you have a back-up plan.

Seriously. My performing group's biggest regret was trusting an event organizer who told us we couldn't video, but that we'd get footage from them--and then forgot to roll the cameras. We have no footage at all from that, and it's heartbreaking to us as it was the routine with our most elaborate choreography and was only presented the one time.

Oh, and make sure the digital cameras you have out there on movie mode record SOUND.

- Kai (throwing in her two cents learned from hard experience)

2. MotherPalpatine

MotherPalpatine Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    Great advice, thank you. I don't have a digital camera that will take video long enough to try and get the performance. Maybe I could just get an Ewok, gut him and then stuff a video camera inside and hold him up during the show. Think anyone would notice?

Golda

3. Kai_Vandekar

Kai_Vandekar Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Not if you make the ewok head-bang during the performance. That will be regarded as totally normal. Sadly, it will f-up your footage. ;)

However, if you really want an ewok into which you can stuff a video camera, try here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=60360&item=7507069761&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Can't you just see a little lens poking out of his cute widdle mouf?

Damn, I'm earning Dark Side points up the wazoo. I need to quit while I'm ahead!

(Seriously, though, if you don't have a camera with video or video-with-sound, find someone in your group who does, or a friend who does, or SOMEONE. It's a really good contingency against anal-retentive con-organizers. Or, since you said yours can't take video for long enough, take up a collection and buy a larger video card! If memory is the problem, that'll do the trick, and memory has gotten CHEAP these days.)

- Kai

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.