main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video fx test(1 for now, but will use this topic to add more)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by BruceM, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Okay. Instead of creating a thread each time i make a video test, I am going to use this one, and add more video whenever I make it. Alot of times, i see a cool effect, and I would want to replicate it. So, yeah as you could guess, that is what I am doing now. In history class today, we saw the movie "The Patriot", since we are right at the American Revolution(sorry everyone in Britian). Anyway, I saw the effect of the guy getting his head blown off by a canonball. I thought it was pretty kool, and so did the rest of my class, based off all the clapping and such. I thought I would duplicate that effect. So i did. Using Windows movie maker, Adobe Imageready, and Debugmodes' Wax 2.0, I replicated this effect. Please tell me what you think. The one thing i dont like is that my head is too big when it comes off, that is why it would have been a better test if I used After Effects(my trial ended, :_|). PLease crit, and not on the camera quality

A few hundred kbs
    .WMV format
    download at http://www.freewebs.com/brucetfnicons/canonshotfinal.wmv

I uploaded a google video version of the video, but it is still processing.

2. sithjeff

sithjeff Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2005
    Needs more careful masking, and motion blur. FYI, I think a cannon shot moves faster than that.

3. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    Thanks, I will take that into consideration. But what would you rate it as being my first attempt?

4. sithjeff

sithjeff Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2005
    A 6. I mean you had the basic idea down. But I thought it seemed to lack a lot of effort and time.

5. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    Yeah, I kinda agree. I noticed on the final version that my fall was kinda delayed, like by a sec. The canon shot was actually a moving picture rendered in anim8or, no lighting or anything, just the cannonball was but on a bluebackground using imageready. My head was also anim8ted, and since I didnt use refs in anim8or, the head was too big. I should make another attempt, cause it it is a kool effect. I might also be able to still work on this attemp with the same files, just tweaking them a little. My other problem was the shots of the moving head/cannonball were rendered uncompressed, and the only way to view it properly was frame by frame. I didnt see the result untill the .wmv was finished.

6. krnbanguboi

krnbanguboi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2005
    Why does that cannonball remind me of a meatball? hmm...[face_thinking]

7. bountyhunterx

bountyhunterx Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2005
    Plus, your head inflates once it leaves your shoulders. :p

8. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    I dont have AE, and the trial ended, so I was stuck with anim8or and wax 2.0

9. StevenBills

StevenBills Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2006
    I don't think that there should be any head left after a cannonball hits it. I mean, the force of the impact of the ball against a head would make it explode. Blood and brains everywhere. No head left.

SB

10. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    Finally, a new test. This is of me throwing a energy ball. I know I could have colored it, but I didnt use After Effects, and I didnt feel like it.
    EDIT:Forgot to post the link.
    http://www.freewebs.com/brucemurray/energyfeildtest1wmv.wmv

11. Black_Chameleon

Black_Chameleon Jedi Master star 3

Jan 9, 2004
    Great, now combine the two, next time throw an energy ball which blows the other dude's head off ;)

12. Draco429

Draco429 Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2006
    The motion of the "ball" was good; lens flare (read: overdone) effect wasn't. It's understandable that you don't have AE; there's ways around this with plain photoshop. You've got the basic idea down, though. Keep working.

13. erus_multus2

erus_multus2 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 11, 2005
    Wow... that loops, like, really, really well. Seriously. It's insane.

Oh, and I agree with Draco429...

14. J-Solo

J-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 1999
    The energy ball is ok. The first one is funny, but completely fake. And why is everything so dark? Get out of the house if you don´t have any lights.

15. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    It was filmed at night, so wether I went outside or inside, it would have still been dark. And thanks for the crits, and I am going to try a colored energy ball, that should work. And the reason I got good tracking was because I threw a baseball, and Michael Frisk helped me out a little over aim.

16. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    Okay, another energy ball test. I know the quality is really low, it is because of the lighting from where I filmed it. Please try to ignore that and crit on the energy ball itself. I know it jumps around a little, but keep in mind it was imageready/photoshop, not AE.
    watch at http://www.freewebs.com/brucemurray/energyfeildtest2.wmv

17. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    Hm, it's just your standard lens flare. Anyone could do that, frankly. Try something painted if you're going to use Photoshop. Try doing something creative with cloud layers and transfer modes.

18. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    I kinda see what your getting at. Hows this?
    [image=http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g308/brucem91/energytestballconcept.png]

19. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    Ooooh glowy ... like a miniature palantir :)

20. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    So is that good?

21. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    Well, it's certainly more creative than just animating a lens flare. Definitely a step in the right direction :)

22. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    It kinda reminds me of the mini-sun that doc ock was creating on spiderman two. I think it is great though, so after I create a action for it, i am going to add it to the first energy effect I made where I throw it.

23. BruceM

Mar 8, 2006
    New test. YAY. I got premeire and photoshop full versions, and so the first rather well test I made was a hologram with a person(me). I know that there is some fragments and stuff, but I didnt get the lighting right, and so I had to export to filmstrip and use the magic selector tool. I think it turned out great. And since I know how now, I should retry my other two effects(cannonball and energyball), but with premeire, and it should turn out waaaayyyy better. Well, ttyl. Here is the video link for the hologram test.
    http://www.mnlan.net/view_video.php?viewkey=90ce0268229151c9bde1

24. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Cool that you used the selector tool for keying.

Just some basic compositing stuff, really. You're a beam of light, and you're darker than the background. That's inaccurate, and a big part of selling the audience, or at least suspending their disbelief. When in doubt for how something should look on top of a background, if it's made of light, go with the "screen" blending mode and tweak the color and levels from there. You'll always be right.

Also, the hue of blue is too deep, push it a bit more into the cyan range. [face_dancing]

25. 1337mik3

1337mik3 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2004
    You're not going to want to use magic select for keying, it simply does not work, try using "Color Range" from your select menu in photoshop.

Heres a very simple tutorial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.