main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video Game Movies: Past, Present, and Future.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by the_chosen_two, Apr 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_chosen_two

the_chosen_two Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 23, 2003
    After permission from Darth_Kevin, search for a thread, and PM from JP, I will create a thread on Video Game Movies. After the PM from JP I found out about many other threads about this. But after not seeing one ever since I joined I think its time to start a new one. Here we can talk about past movies (Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Mario Bros. EWWWW). Present (Tomb Raider, House of the Dead) And future (DOA, Metroid, Spy Hunter, and more).

2. Canderous

Canderous Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2003
    Well, as much as I hate to say it, every video game movie that I have seen has sucked, royally.

Mortal Kombat - cheesy, very cheesy, and the sequel was even worse. :p

Mario Bros - not much to say about this one. I was disappointed mainly because they branched so far off of what it should have been.

Tomb Raider - well, I wasn't expecting much from this one to begin with since I'm not a big fan of the Tomb Raider Series.

Hopefully, in the future video game movies will have better directing and acting. I really hope they don't mess up the Max Payne movie. :p

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Alas, for some ungodly reason, Van Damne will be makinga Street Fighter 2 movie... :[face_sigh]:

Hopefully the future game-based films will increase in quality and avoid the problems that have made the good majority of past game films suck. It's really a shame they've wasted the potential of certain franchises.

The first step to achieving this goal would be for someone to put me in charge of a Zelda film >::)

4. Darth_Kevin

Darth_Kevin Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 30, 2001
    Final Fantasy was just plain creepy if you ask me.

Mortal Kombat was amusing, but still not good.
    Tomb Raider was bad.
    Mortal Kombat 2 was terrible.
    Street Fighter was more terrible.
    Super Mario Bros. was god-awful.

I think there was a Double Dragon movie.

With the success of LotR, maybe Zelda is a possibility for a movie.

5. arabiansanchez

arabiansanchez Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2001
    I'm wondering how they could pull off 'Metroid'. She works alone killing stuff. That's it. What direction would they take a movie in? 007?, Indiana Jones?

6. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    A Zelda movie would be really interesting to see. I'm curious how they would pull that off.

7. Lightsabel2

Lightsabel2 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Orlando Bloom as Link :)

8. Invid_Clone

Invid_Clone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 14, 2002
    Orlando's kinda big to play that particular elf dontcha think? :p

HALO: With Bruce Willis as the Master Chief. :D

OK, ok, so there's very little originality in Halo for a good flick unless you add a bit more to the story: perhaps bit from the prequel novel The Fall of Reach.

9. Lightsabel2

Lightsabel2 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    Halo would be an awesome movie and I wouldn't mind Bruce Willis as Master Chief, hehe.

10. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Don't forget Wing Commander. *shiver* They should have just taken the cutscenes from either WC3 or WC4 and made that into their movie. The games had better stories and acting by far.

There is also Resident Evil. I didn't particularly enjoy that one, but some people did. *shrugs*

Double Dragon was also aweful. I rank it right down there with Mario Brothers.

Yeah, I think that movies based off games are cursed. There has yet to be a good one made. Mortal Kombat was the best attempt IMO and it wasn't very good.

I'm still waiting for Doom though. Maybe the release of Doom 3 will finally get the movie out of development hell. But on the other hand I don't feel like watching them screw that project up like they do with all other video game based movies. I guess we will have to wait and see if it ever happens.

11. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002

I agree with pretty much everyone here. All of these movies have been sloppily thrown together money making schemes, without any intention of actually creating a quality film. I really hope that won't be the case if they do make a Zelda film.

12. Terra

Terra Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2000
    Resident Evil wasn't too bad...

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Resident Evil was a pretty decent flick...nothing spectacular, but it was a solid B-movie, perhaps slightly-above B-movie. Then again, I never really played the games that much, so I didn't have to judge it versus the source material.

Still, I'm looking forward to the sequel (that "woulda-never-been-made-if-it-was-produced-by-a-studio" ending sets things up pretty well).

Metroid could be done a couple ways- she could be in radio communication with either someone else or her ship's computer ala Metroid 4.

Zelda would be the easiest to translate to the screen. Sure, Link is by himself most of the time (unless they adapt OOT, in which case he'd have Navi to talk to), but there'd be plenty of people to speak to along his journey. You could even add a level of telepathic communication between him and Zelda if you were adapting ALTTP. Also, again with ALTTP, you could include a character based on that marksman in the ALTTP comic, so Link would have someone to work with (or against) while in the Dark World (which would work perfectly, since once he enters the Dark World, he's essentially cut off from everyone else he's met in the story thus far), perhaps tie things into OOT by having him be a Knight of Hyrule (or even the Captain of the knights) who fought during the Imprisoning War, but got stranded in the Dark World when the Sages sealed the gateway.

14. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    Thus far, I think the only "okay" movies are Resident Evil and Mortal Kombat. Wing Commander had potential, but did not quite reach the bar.

I think Metroid would end up as a disaster as a film, even though I secretly hope it could be done well.

Link with a fairy sidekick might work.

I think in general, we may never see a good video game to movie translation.

15. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    They should make Bad Dudes for NES into a movie.

[image=http://www.insaneabode.com/Articles/Images/about.gif]

16. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    LOL!!!

Or maybe Rampage. :D

Seriously though, would anyone else like to see a Castlevania movie? I think that would be pretty cool. Especially if it was adapted after the original three games from the NES. The ones on SNES and after have been pretty lame.

17. Nebucchad

Nebucchad Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 29, 2002
    I wish for a Fallout movie.

And Resident Evil was best of all 'movies from games', imo. And still that doesn't make it good movie.

18. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Although the games came after the movies, I liked the videogame elements of Tron and The Last Starfighter when I was a kid. :D

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yes, Castlevania is also on my list of games that should be made into movies and could be done so well.

Afterall, to a whole generation, the name Belmont has more connotations to vampire lore than Bram Stoker ::)

All the teaser trailer would have to be would be something along the lines of:

::setting of a spooky graveyard at night, the tombstones cast in shadow::

Title Card: "For generations, one name has struck fear into the heart of evil..."

::camera settles on one tombstone, a flash of lightning crackles, revealing the name on the headstone...::

Headstone: BELMONT

Title Card: "...with a wooden stake."

::Castlevania logo appears::

Title Card: "Coming soon..."

20. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    Nice description. Maybe you should submit that to Fox or something. ;)

21. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    [image=http://www.painkillers.de/gallerie/DUKE%20NUKEM.jpg]

i think everyones favorite buzzcut psyco needs his own movie or TV show on HBO.

22. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I'm just wondering who they'll get to play JC in the planned Deus Ex movie.

I can't help but think that the character who we all know and love as a hardened cybernetic counter-terrorist stealth stealth operative, is going to be turned into a kung-fu fighting cybernetic counter-terrorist killing machine when he gets a Hollywood makeover.

23. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    ..ya know, there really has not been a good videogame movie made, has there?

I'd have to rank "Tomb Raider" as the best, and i actually disliked that Videogame series.. The movie-proper had some cool moments..Nothing spectacular, but it did have a sweet-soundtrack and some neat action sequences....and Rimmer from "Red Dwarf" :)

"Wing Commander" was awful, but for some reason (possibly because it's my favourite videogame franchise of all-time), i find myself compelled to watch it over and over again..

"Final Fantasy" was impressive from an animation pov, but the story was absolutely terrible..(it was like you came in during the final cd of the worst Final Fantasy game ever)

"Mortal Kombat" was super-cheesy-bad..

"Street Fighter" was just...yikes!

"Resident Evil" was just mean-spirited.. It had the makings to be kinda cool, but for some reason spun it's wheels..

"Super Mario Bros.": What the heck were they thinking?

You know, probably the most successful videogame franchise is...*Gasp* POKEMON!

24. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    "Wing Commander" was awful, but for some reason (possibly because it's my favourite videogame franchise of all-time), i find myself compelled to watch it over and over again..

i cant help but agree with you. i have no idea why they made the movie so ugly. They could have at least resembled the game in some way or form

25. Darth_Kevin

Aug 30, 2001
    I would have to rank both Wing Commander and Resident Evil above Tomb Raider. I thought the plot to Tomb Raider was actually insulting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.