main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video Game Questions

Discussion in 'Archive: Boston, MA' started by DrowsEvagus, Nov 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrowsEvagus

DrowsEvagus Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2003
    I have a PC, and I've considered buying an XBox or Playstation 2 because of all of the sci-fi/superhero games one can buy on them, but not on the PC.

Until recently, for example, knights of the old republic was not available on PC. Is it as good as the XBox version? I'm also interested in X Men and Batman games

I'd be interested in hearing about the pros and cons of PS2s and XBoxs versus PCs, and each other.

I just purchased STar Wars galaxies and my character keeps dying on creature destroy missions. Will I have to buy credits on EBay to buy more powerful guns and armor?

2. Jedi_Outcast77

Jedi_Outcast77 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2003
    I did a report for school comparing the XBox and Gamecube. It was pretty close, but of the 12 different reviews that I read, the XBox was determined to be the better console. It is much more powerful the the GC, has a way better graphics engine, and supports things like surround sound and online play. However there seem to be more SW themed games available for the GC than the XBox (ie: Rogue Squadron 3 only available for GC). Playstation is a good in-between. It has more games available than the other two, it's performance is much better than the GC but still not as good as the XBox, but it does support online play. Ultimately, it's up to you, as you have to get a feel for yourself of each to make the best choice.

3. TIEace

TIEace Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2000
    Xbox is the most powerful, but there don't seem to be a whole lot of great games for it.

GameCube is decent, I have it. It's down to $90, so it's a good deal...it does have a few good games, but nothing special.

PS2 - I would recommend looking on eBay for one for a little bit cheaper. PS3 is not too far behind as of now.

PC - best platform in my opinion. Some great SW games, as well as any other type you can think of.

4. DrowsEvagus

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for your reply. Doesn't XBox have Batman, X Men, and Knights of the Old REpublic?

5. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Yes to all of the above. But overall, their selection isn't as wide as PS2 or GC.

PS3 is not too far behind as of now.

Where did you hear that info?

6. -Raldayen-

-Raldayen- Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2003
    DrowsEvagus if you haven't already, I suggest choosing a faction. Faction missions are not to hard. I'm a rebel so I get 3 Imp to kill. Also if your missions are to hard try removing your weapon and pick a mission. The difficulty is based on your weapon and skill with it.

Oh yeah, PS2 > X-Box > GameCube.

7. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Also, try to find some other guys to do missions with. Safety in numbers and all :)

8. DrowsEvagus

Jan 19, 2003
    Thanks for your response. What is the best way to do this?

Can I go up to the good looking babes and say "Are you an angel?"

Just kidding.

Is chat the only way to come to this agreement, or do you seek out names in other ways?

I'm at the point where shooting one wort at a time seems good practice.

9. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    Can I go up to the good looking babes and say "Are you an angel?"

Believe it or not, It works!! I use it all the time :D

10. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    Just ask around any place there's a gathering of people. Med center, cantina, starport. "Hey I'm looking for other new-ish players to form a hunting group." DOing this will also increase the overall difficulty of the missions you take. And since each member can take 2 missions, that's more credits in your pocket. Just be sure to all get missions in the same direction to cut down on running around time ;)
    Esp the ports in major cities (Mos Eisley, Coronet) there are often hunting parties going to the "adventure" planets. While it's expensive for a beginner to get there, if you join a group you'll get so much experience you won't know what to do with it!

11. TIEace

Nov 27, 2000
    Jedi_Outcast77: forgive me for not knowing your name, as you've probably figured, I haven't been able to post for a while. My friend said 2005 for PS3, but it actually seems to be more like 2006/2007 from what others have told me. My goof.

12. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    No problem TIEace, and the name's Mike. Thanks for the response, I'm curious to see what a new PS would offer to make it different from the rest?

13. TK7771

TK7771 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    I believe the new PS is supposed to actually have a harddrive in it,so you can install updates for games. Faster processng speed.

Basically, its gonna be a PC.Minus the windows crap.

14. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Basically, its gonna be a PC.Minus the windows crap.

[face_laugh]

15. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Has anyone played Rogue Squadron III yet? I've asked for it for Christmas and was wondering if anyone had any feedback on it.

16. TIEace

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, Mike (see, I'm learning :D ), it's supposed to be a great game for the flying levels.

However, I'm not sure how familiar you are with it, but they added in some Third Person Shooter levels, similar to Shadows of the Empire on N64. That seems to be where the game lacks.

17. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    A word of warning: stay away from Flight of the Falcon for GBA.
    What a piece of junk! *shrug* Maybe it's just not my kinda game...

18. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Thanks Will :D for the feedback. I've never played on the N64 so I'm not familiar with that game. The flying sequences do look pretty good on the trailer, I really hope that I get this one and my other pick, Jedi Academy.

19. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    I just recently bought a gamecube. I had been meaning to, and it has grown on me a lot.
    The problem with xbox is that it lacks titles, most of anything good is available on all 3 systems.
    Gamecube comes up huge in this department with all of the nintendo exclusives. Smash bros., Mario Kart double dash, Rouge Squadron, Metroid Prime,FZero GX and all that good stuff are awsome, and despite the title I hear mario sunshine is really good. Haven't really played windwaker, but I don't know about the new look...
    I'm interested in when certain nintendo titles will get their gamecube incarnation.
    Donkey Kong, Perfect Dark, Mario Tennis, and I'm sure i'm forgetting some
    I'm actually ashamed for going so long without nintendo.

20. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    Haven't really played windwaker, but I don't know about the new look...

Windwaker was a great game. I haven't played a Zelda game since Zelda 2 on the 8-bit Nintendo and I have to say that it was fun to play this game. The storyline was pretty good, not too long but long enough and with enough curveballs to supply a good amount of playtime. The are lots of side-missions that you can do as you go through the game aswell. It's based on the orginal Zelda so a lot of the evil characters are the same (but bigger and 3D)! I would definately recommend it.

21. Mandalorian_Warrior

Mandalorian_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 19, 2002
    After having played Ocarina of time or Link to the Past and all that good stuff its hard to come to terms with the lighthearted southpark look to windwaker.

22. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    It's definately a bit cartoonish but it's still a fun game. I thought that it was a good change of pace from the Madden, Warcraft, and Jedi Outcast games that I'm used to.

23. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I just picked up a copy of Jedi Academy over the weekend. It's got a lot of great moves that make it better than Jedi Outcast, and the character interaction with stars of the OT is fun too! Anyone else playing this game?

24. DarthDeadite

DarthDeadite Jedi Youngling

May 3, 2004
    I just recently got an Xbox, so I'm trying to catch up on as many SW games as I can. Beat KOTOR twice, and am sloshing my way through Jedi Outcast.

Outcast77, is JK:JA worth it? I've read reviews where it's not as good as JO, but I'm thinking of picking it up.

25. Jedi_Outcast77

Jun 10, 2003
    I think it's worth it. The ability to customize your character alone makes the game different, IMO. Plus like I was saying, there are a lot more combo moves in JA than there were in JO, which is even better with the options of using either a double-bladed saber or two sabers (which aren't available at first - must have to unlock that somehow). I'm not sure how many missions there are, but I'm only on #7 right now, so I haven't got that far but from what I've played so far I think that the plot to the game's story is good.

Personally I don't pay any attention to reviews. If I think a game looks interesting, I'll get it. If it turns out to have been a waste of money then I'll just let others know about my experience and let them decide for themselves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.