main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Video Game reviews

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I figured I'd start a thread about video games that you may have just purchased/rented and played and would like to comment about them.

They need not be SW related. Please refer to the game title and console (ie XBOX, PS2, GameCube, etc)

Okay, I'll start with the two I got for Christmas.

Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (XBOX)

I had high expectations and this game fell just a little short for me. It's not a bad game just seems more of the same to me. I do like the ability to create the look of your character to certain extents as well as your lightsaber.

The controls take a little time to get used to, but get much easier the longer you play the game. Massive levels and some cool new Stormtroopers (Hazard trooper for one) make this game fun. At the start besides creating your character and lightsaber you have the choice of 4 difficulties. They are:

Padawan
    Jedi (Default)
    Jedi Knight
    Jedi Master (be warned that you only have half of the health with this choice)

I choose the default setting and it was too easy for me so I think I'm going to try it again at the hardest level to really challenge me.

All in all not a bad game. Graphics need some improving but I'd recommend it for the average SW fan.

Rating 3.5 of 5 stars

Ratchet and Clank: Going Commando (PS2)

I love this game! LOTS of weapons and upgrade, massive levels, graphics are awesome.

Takes a little time getting used to the plethora of controls if you want to switch weapons quickly, but again you will get better the longer you play the game.

I like this game so much that roughly half way through I got the first Ratchet and Clank.

I've been playing Rachet and Clank: Goin Commando without a stratedgy guide and can complete the missions though I know there are somethings I'm missing so I went out and bought the guide as well.

I checked out the official website:

www.ratchetandclank.com

and had tons of fun there, downloading screensavers, playing clips and even found out about a contest to design a new weapon. Contest ends this month and I've already submitted two designs. Winner receives a trip for 2 to L.A. and $5K!

I still haven't finished it yet, but find it very addicting to play. You can revisit world you been to, to rack up more points to by weapons (highly recommended) as well some worlds you need to revisit to delve further into them. (There are some gadgets in the game that aren't available at first and hence you can't get to certain area on a world without them) Once you get those items go back and play what you've missed!

Only one major drawback. When you save a game, it dosen't save exactly where you are in a world, instead it puts you back at you ship (which is essentially the begining of a level). Bosses that you have beaten remain beaten but you will have to fight the denizens all over again. (That's okay though since you can rack up the points to purchase better weapons).

Rating 5 of 5 stars! Well worth the money!

2. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    The new website should have a Star Wars video game section with links and reviews and whatever else.

3. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Fluke, are you talking about our (SWAP's) website? If so, I agree. We'll need to keep this in mind for the Website planning meeting. (Date and time still to be determined)

4. MetalliJedi

MetalliJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

May 10, 2002
    Final Fantasy x-2 Great game! a must play for any FF fan. you have your usual 3 person party only this time any player can be any job at any given time providing you havre aqired that job. ie white mage,black mage gunner. The stroy line has been veryinteresting so far. i'm on chapter 3 and closing in on the halfway point of the game. This is the first FF game to take place in the same world w/ the same chracters the 3 you play w/ are The summorer Yuna, and her frieds Riku and paine(paine is the only chracter you play as that was not in FF X ) they are now sphere hunters in seardch of spheres of the planets past and posssibly the location of a chracter from the last game. the graphics are incredible! the game play has been rater simple a few of the side quests have been a bit difficult for me. overall i'd give it a 4.5 out of 5.

5. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Two SW games:

Rebel Strike (GameCube)
    Fantastic levels, loads of fun. Some levels were very easy while others very tough so a nice mix. All sorts of starfighters to play and you can evne play in certain levels as an AT-ST/AT-AT/Speederbike.

The Co-op levels are alot of fun, especially if you have someone as your wingman who is enthusiastic about playing (and it doesn't hurt if their good at playing it as well).

I really have enjoyed playing this game and have returned to it repeatedly.

The third installment in the popular Rogue Squadron games, it is a must for SW fans!

Rating 5 of 5!

Knights of the Old Republic or K.O.T.O.R.(XBOX)
    One heck of a fine game. This mixes Doom and SW together with massive levels. You can choose to be a dark or light Jedi, depending on how you react to situations in the game. I highly recommend getting the stratedgy guide for this. It was invaluable to me for getting some of the more "secret" stuff. Graphics were decent enough (could have been a little better but still good) Only thing in that area is you tend to see the same faces on alot of the people throughout game play, still that can be overlooked.

This game has a heavy RPG influence so if your not used to that then it might be a little difficult to follow (Again get the guide book).

By far this is one of the best SW games EVER, IMO.

You will have to literally schedule time to play this as it takes a LONG time to complete the whole game, and just sitting down for a hour to play doesn't satisfy (it's that addicting). Good luck! This game is WELL worth the cost!

Rating SPECIAL GOLD stars! 5+ of 5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.