main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video Games Banned in Greece

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Darth Geist, Sep 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HavocHound

HavocHound Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    DOWN WITH THE GREEK ESTABLISHMENT!!

I call to all Free People of the world to ARISE and throw off the shackles of coersive censorship!!

2. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I agree with HavocHound!

"The only time that the citizens will need to use the second amendment is when someone tries to take it away." --Some Founding Father.

That is my opinion on the second amendment. It needs to be broad.

This is why I don't want to live in Europe.

3. Darth_SnowDog

Darth_SnowDog Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    Funny how we want to ban everything in our country, calling certain video games, music, movies and books "immoral", but we scorn other nations who do the same thing and describe them as being "undemocratic."

It's a bit like how we want to bomb the hell out of everybody who disagrees with us... but practically stamp "evil" on the foreheads of those who want to do the same to us for the same reasons.

Welcome to the United States of Hypocrisy.

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I just wanted to point out that there are other threads for discussing how great or evil the US is.

Let's get this back on track, eh?

BTW, good post, SnowDog. You make a good point.

5. Darth Geist

Darth Geist Jedi Master star 5

Oct 23, 1999
    "Funny how we want to ban everything in our country, calling certain video games, music, movies and books "immoral"..."

Actually, Snowdog, I'm sure that many who want to ban those things here agree with the ban in Greece. It's exactly their brand of cluelessness.

A few months ago, a mid-ranking judge named Steven Limbaugh (yes, he is related to Rush) ruled that video games weren't protected by the First Amendment. He came to this conclusion after sampling brief bits of four games: Fear Effect, Doom, Mortal Kombat, and a mysterious fourth game known only as The Resident of Evil Creek. In his ruling, he decreed that video games were incapable of conveying any messages, and explicitly disregarded any other games he hadn't seen. Again, willful ignorance.

6. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    No messages?? How about the Metal Gear Solid series?? Those things are philosophical as heck.

7. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    "This is why I don't want to live in Europe."

Yes, because Greece obviously represents all of Europe.

We'll all start banning Video games now.

I mean really, what the hell? What does this have to do with Europe?

8. EnforcerSG

EnforcerSG Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2001
    Funny how we want to ban everything in our country, calling certain video games, music, movies and books "immoral", but we scorn other nations who do the same thing and describe them as being "undemocratic."

It's a bit like how we want to bomb the hell out of everybody who disagrees with us... but practically stamp "evil" on the foreheads of those who want to do the same to us for the same reasons.

Welcome to the United States of Hypocrisy.

The diffrence is that individuals within the government (actually, usally more outsiders who have no major political power) will say it is evil, but we will still let people do what they want, smart or no. Whereas it is the Greek government who is legally imposing their own morality on the masses.

In short, the main diffrence is that they are actually doing something about it. People here may whine or have real complaintes, but our choice is in this respect more important than the governments standard of morality.

9. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    What does this have to do with Europe?

1. Greece is in Europe

2. They assume that every European country has the same law. So in their eyes every European country has banned games... *roll_eyes*

10. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    I think we're all being much too general here. Is it possible that not all Americans are ignorant, and not all Europeans are stuffy? I think so. :)

11. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I just love you Senate trolls, it really makes threads much more interesting.

I am not going to discuss Europe vs. the US right here, but I will discuss video games.

It seems most people I know think video games are a waste of time and somehow less valid that whatever form of entertainment they like. For example, my brother likes to ride his bike all day pretending to be a BMXer, my sister goes around all day to different friends houses talking about and to boys, and my grandfather plays golf all the time. All these people think that video games are stupid and me spending time on the computer is a waste. I work full time, and I feel that what I do with my free time is my own buisness.

12. Jarik

Jarik Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 21, 2000
    Haha. Sucks for you if you live in Greece.

But seriously it's a ridilulous law. The couldn't just ban gambling, they had to ban all electronic games. Is anybody here from Greece. I'll give you guys 50 American dollars for a PS2. I mean you can't use it now anyway, right?

It's just crazy when playing computer solitaire can bring jail time.

13. Darth Geist

Oct 23, 1999
    I get the impression this law won't stand for long as written.

14. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    Is it possible that not all Americans are ignorant,
    I think we're all being much too general here.

I just love you Senate trolls

ok with "they" I didn't mean every American I meant every American who say things like
    "This is why I don't want to live in Europe."

understand?
    No trolling or saying Americans are ignorant...

I was making a comment to GAP

15. PaulSanderson

PaulSanderson Jedi Youngling

Sep 3, 2002
    More to life than video games.

16. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    More to life than video games.

People should have the freedom to spend their leisure time on video games, if they wish to. There's more to life than movies. Does that mean movies should be illegal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.