main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

video games - should they fit into lit/comic canon? why or why not.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by fanboyskywalker, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Baiting and arguing with a mod is a bad idea.

Further, reposting the same material and including baiting of mods isn't the best way of getting your threads approved. I'm PMing you to discuss this.

2. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    Video game makers have a responsibility to create story lines and characters to maximize the video game experience. What they create shouldn't be confined to the restrictions of the what is established in books/comics and, at the same time, some of the outrageous stuff they come up with to sell video games (a totally different crowd than a SW fan who reads the literature) shouldn't be forced into EU canon.

It's given me a headache just to keep up with it. I read the books, I don't really play the games. And when I do, I'm not interested in having it be part of the lit/comic continuity. I wish they would do a better job keeping them separate. It's also annoying to read things that are sequels to games -- no matter if they are good or not -- because unless I have the game I don't get the first part of the story.

Here's an example with the Force Unleashed. They needed to create all these new crazy over the top Force powers so that video game players would get a kick out of playing the game and doing this wacky stuff like using the Force to bring down a Star Destroyer. Fine. That's fun. But now we have to ask ourselves WTH? in regards to how this now fits into the lit circle because Force Unleashed is now canon?

Not sure how that is bashing, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel that video games should be counted as officially part of the EU. Look at Rebel Alliance, where you are the pilot shooting down the first Death Star, and not Luke Skywalker doing it. And like I say earlier, video games aren't made the way books and comics are, where they have to conform to established continuity. They are made for the gameplay, and then EU must wrap itself around them.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have games, but unlike lit and comics where the writers sit down and figure out how their story fits in, it doesn't seem at all like the game creators do the same. And I'm not bashing the games or their creators -- I loved playing them when I could -- I'm just saying they sound be seperate, that way they have even more freedom to do cool stuff and the books don't have to worry about working it into continuity.

I think there is a discussion here, in any case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.