main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Viewing order

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Oberst Hans Landa, Feb 24, 2014.

?

Viewing order

Poll closed Jun 24, 2014.
  1. First OT, then PT

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. First PT, then OT

22 vote(s)
    59.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    I completely get what PiettsHat is trying to say, although it only really applies to first-time viewers.

Having said that, I personally think rewatching the entire Saga in chronological order knowing what Anakin will become actually enhances the nuances and tragedy of the PT and strengthens the entire OT, particularly his redemption in RotJ, which is why I feel like chronological order is the best way to watch the Saga.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. skyrimcat9416

skyrimcat9416 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 1, 2013
    I think the best way to watch the Saga is the 1-6 order. So PT first, then OT.

Darkslayer and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    We'll just have to agree to disagree. Using your argument/justification, I might testify on his behalf at his trial in order to get him a lighter sentence. Sure. that's plausible. But date him? Not a chance. Sorry. And if Padme were my friend, I'd advise her to keep her distance. Sorry, you won't change my mind on this.

^^^This. This right here. This has nothing to do with "Viewing order" and everything to do with "Ah, let's just crap on Han in an attempt to make Anakin look less bad". Really, that's the only reason that's there. That goes back to my original post. Thanks for tossing me that softball.

Fine. There's no evidence Han had anything directly to do with supporting slavery, but even just taking into account his smuggling of other things….yeah, I'd rather date (or be!) a reformed pot dealer than a mass murderer, but again, we'll just have to agree to disagree. And I'm still not sure what this has to do with "Viewing order"--since we're basically limiting the conversation to Anakin's Episode II actions vs. Han's entire-life bad deeds. So basically "viewing order" has now become irrelevant. It's really off-topic.

Yes, I got that a couple of posts ago. And I already argued why I don't think this would change fans' perceptions much at all, given his actions in Episode II alone. (Really, we're supposed to give a guy who murders women and children the"benefit of the doubt"? That's just nuts). So, I think this conversation has run its course.

Why is that interesting? I'm assuming these wannabe fans I'm making suggestions to would be friends or family, right? Don't you only recommend moves you *like* to your friends? I do. I'm not gonna ever be like "Hey "the Village" really sucked, but you should go see it." That kinda goes against the point of "making recommendations" in the first place. So, yeah. I'd suggest for them to skip it. But I wouldn't *force* them to skip it. What's wrong with that? (that's rhetorical, really, you don't have to answer).

Anyway, good night, PiettsHat. Until we meet again…..

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    I've said it once and I'll say it again. Watch the six movies in what ever order you like.

Oberst Hans Landa likes this.
  5. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    1-6, and it has nothing to do with my opinion of which trilogy is better. I think the PT leads into the OT much better than the OT leads into the PT. If you watch the OT first, as I did, and you let those films form your perception of what Star Wars "is", then you are only setting yourself up for disappointment or confusion with TPM. It's such a radically different experience than what came before, it's hard to adjust. That's my main problem with the "flashback" order. Jumping to TPM from ESB is a jarring experience, and it's not something I recommend, especially on the first time.

But the overall story arc of the PT flows really nicely into the OT, and I think just about anybody can enjoy all the great things the OT has to offer even if they've seen the PT first.

Plus, as others have said, there are a multitude of other benefits. The events of ROTS alone are so fundamentally schocking and against the grain of common storytelling. How many franchises have all the heroes either die, go into the exile, or transform via immolation into the villian in the middle of the story?. That's George RR Martin levels of crazy. And I do think, after the grandiose opera-horror that is ROTS, Episode 4 becomes something of a nice palette cleanser, in many ways a new birth for the story. And while the PT is larger in scope, I think the OT successfully raises the emotional stakes, especially with the Luke/Vader conflict.

So yeah, as understandable as it is to want to cling to the order most of us grew up watching the films, I think chronological order works quite nicely now that all six are available. Not to mention, I imagine it will seem quite ridiculous if after the ST is complete that you still have diehards telling people to watch the OT first, then go back to the PT, then skip all the way forward to the ST. That would just be nonsensical.

6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    It's all a matter of perception.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Phoenix267

Phoenix267 Jedi Youngling

Feb 8, 2014
    I would view the prequel trilogy first, than the original trilogy. The original trilogy is by far the best, chronology should be seen after the prequel. A great build up for the timeless classics.

8. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    A moment like this is why I think SW virgins should first watch the OT:

He's sooo cute. He's all like: WTF??????! WHAAAAAAAAT? [:D]

9. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I get what PH is saying, I simply don't agree with her. :)

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The twist only matters because most of you saw it that way first. If all you hinge the Saga on is a twist, then it really isn't a good series of films to begin with.

11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    That's a very trenchant observation, d-s.

12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Aren't the PT then OT crowd using their model to show the shock of Palpatine being evil and Anakin falling? Sounds similar to me.

13. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I used to think this order was stupid (I even got in an argument with Sam Witwer over it on Twitter...), but I'm really warming up to the flashback order (IV, V, I, II, III, VI). It preserves the "father" surprise, Palpatine is a little more mysterious, and RotJ is still the conclusion.

14. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I intend to use it not for a twist, but for the practical point of showing the story that has a beginning, a middle and an end. Not for a twist, be it Vader or Palpatine. It's not that I don't like twists, I just don't base my love for something purely on a simple ploy that only had staying power because it took three years to resolve. The six films are done. You can spend 24 hours, 12 hours or a whole week on them. The impact of the twist is largely negated because all you have to do is pop in the next film to resolve it.

With regards to Palpatine being shocking, the PT doesn't do it that well. Lucas starts hinting at it as soon as Palpatine smiles in the Senate, when Padme calls for the No Confidence vote. The last second pan also gives it away. It doesn't have nearly the sticking power that Vader's bombshell did. Vader's revelation was unexpected, but like I said, what does it say about the Saga that it is the only reason you want to show it OT first? To me it sounds like it is the only thing that matters and the rest of the story is crap. Or at least weak.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It's not my reasoning and you are lumping all of us that suggest OT together with your assumption. People can and do have more than one reason why they prefer something, Sir.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    More the attitude of "we must preserve the twist at all costs!" A saga shouldn't rise or fall because of the alleged brilliance of a single plot twist. It's bigger than that, whether we're talking about watching the OT *or* the PT first. I think that that was darth-sinister's basic point and it's one I fully agree with.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  17. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    ^^ That said, I also think Han Burgundy has a gem of a take on this...

18. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Indeed. That is what I'm driving at. I'm not saying that you can't do what you will, but you really need to check your reasons at the door before you pop in the disc and hit play.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    That's your take it's not everyone's.

20. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014
    *leaves room*

21. Amiga_500_User

Amiga_500_User Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 4, 2014
    I did not mean to upset you, really. Well, neither do I hate the prequels, nor did I say that the OT is the best thing my eyes have ever looked upon in my life ('cause that would be BLADE RUNNER). There are just a lot of
    things in the PT that really bother me. But the least thing I wanted is to commence yet another PT vs OT fight (there are enough threads about it already). There are (a few) things that I like about the PT (the music, the podrace, the setting) and many other things that I did not like at all (pointless story elements, some weak effects, parts of the production design, awkward dialogue, pacing and framing). To pick just one: imho, there was no need to explain The Force with the Midichlorians. It adds absolutely nothing to the story yet it harms the idea of what The Force is about. Everything we need to know about The Force has been perfectly explained by Yoda in TESB.

Maybe the term "godawful" was too strong. I apologize. ^:)^

Now, with that out of the way, let's get back to the topic at hand. :D

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I likewise do not seek conflict simply the understanding that perceptions don't equal facts and they differ. That's okay. Same for preferences there isn't just one reason.

23. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

When you see it more than once from different individuals, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. When five people say essentially the same thing, it tends to be a bit obvious.

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    PT-OT-ST

I thought we established this already though?

25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It may be a tendency but it's not the sole reason as you treat it, Sir. Good evening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.