main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Viewing order

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Oberst Hans Landa, Feb 24, 2014.

?

Viewing order

Poll closed Jun 24, 2014.
  1. First OT, then PT

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. First PT, then OT

22 vote(s)
    59.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    [​IMG]

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Um no. I don't think so.

Okay, maybe you did, but not me or 8 others according to the poll.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    There was another thread like this a few months back...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    I would show them 4-6, then 1-3, followed by 4-6 again.

The OT takes 3 spots out of my Top 5 all time favorite movies. How could I not show those first?

Sarge and Yanksfan like this.
  5. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

Because there is such a thing as story structure and progression and what you may prefer really has no relevance.

I have a question for you: would you tell someone who has never read the Dune or Harry Potter novels before to start by reading God Emperor of Dune or Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix?

What about telling someone to read The Wheel of Time for the first time by starting with The Rising Shadow?

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Star Wars is set within 2 different time periods with 2 different main protagonists so Harry Potter which, takes place over 7 consecutive years is a false comparison. I'm going to have to try that with Dune.....
    So?

7. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002

Why? Telling someone who has never before experienced a story to start said story in the middle really doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

8. ScorpionJedi

ScorpionJedi Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2013
    I thought somebody made a definitive viewing order of 4, 5, 2, 3, 6?

sharkymcshark and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Because I want to try it.

10. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    [quote="Darkslayer, post: 51352165, member: 1378056"
    [​IMG][/quote]

Um, no….what? Huh? Which part?

11. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Out of curiosity, how could a viewing order be considered 'definitive' if it entirely omits one of the films?

12. JMG2

JMG2 Jedi Youngling

Feb 13, 2014
    When I got the Complete Saga on Blu-Ray last year, I decided to watch the films from I to VI, with semi-fresh eyes (I haven't seen the films in years.)

When I got to Episode IV, I thought "I just saw an epic space war, a hero fall to the Dark Side, the destruction of the entire Jedi order, a tragic love story, and the bad guy winning. Why am I now spending 20 minutes watching two droids get lost in the desert and some kid complain about his chores?"

There's also the fact that no one really explains what The Force is until this fourth chapter, despite the frequent on-screen use of Force abilities, and the idea of "bringing balance to the Force" being introduced as a key plot element very early on in the saga. Episode I could have easily had a scene where Qui-Gon explains to a young Anakin what the Force was, in a manner similar to Obi-Wan and Luke in Episode IV. Instead, we get a scene where he explains what midichlorians are, and how "without them we would have no knowledge of The Force." Except again, we don't even know what the Force is yet (unless we've seen Episode IV first.)

When "Star Wars" (before it was called Episode IV) was made, Lucas knew that no one would know about the backstory besides the opening crawl, so he designed the film to introduce people to this strange new universe, which is why we have scenes like the droids in the desert. On the other hand, Episode I was made after the previous three films became iconic and so heavily ingrained in pop-culture, so Lucas was able to get away with not spending time on establishing the universe, since most people seeing the film would already know the basics (like The Force.)

With all that said, PiettsHat brings up a few very compelling points about watching the series in chronological order. One thing I did like about watching the series from I to VI, was how it enhances that moment where Luke takes off Vader's helmet, and you see Anakin's aged, pale, damaged face. You think back to how this guy once built a podracer as a relatively happy kid, and how he grew up to be a handsome young man. You see someone's entire life unfold, and how far Anakin fell from the light.

And then that's ruined when Ghost Anakin becomes young again. :/

My ideal order is, watch the theatrical versions of the films first (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to advertise a fan restoration on this site, so I'll leave the exact method out of this), then watch the saga from I to VI as Lucas intended (with the most recent versions of the films.)

Sarge and _Catherine_ like this.
  13. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Of the two choices given, I'd go OT, then PT, but my preferred viewing order has long been 4,5,1,2,3,6. Actually, to be honest, it's 4,5, but if I'm watching them all, then 4,5,1,2,3,6. There are a number of reasons for this, but prime among them is that I see ANH and TESB as one series of movies and ROTJ and the PT as another. From the moment "I am your father' is uttered, we're watching a different story.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  14. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002

Okay. Sorry for misunderstanding what you were saying.

15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Have to try it first before testing it on other people. Could be really interesting. Feels pretty similar actually.

16. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ I don't really see the logic behind recommending that people read a continuous series like Dune for the first time by starting in the middle, but to each their own, I guess (although I do still think it's best to watch the Star Wars movies chronologically, which is how they're intended to be watched).:)

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't knock it until you've tried it. And since the main character of the first 3 books Paul isn't in the last 3 books they feel different enough from the first 3 books that I'll try it.

18. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    it will always be PT + OT for me (except when the ST comes out, then it will be PT/OT/ST)

At first I was like " this AGAIN?!?" (we've had two or three threads on the subject already), but having the poll count up there makes me happy. :D

19. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Because one of those films is an abomination no one likes?

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Fixed.

21. ScorpionJedi

Jun 19, 2013
    Are you sure that it's just some? There's a reason they made the documentary The People vs George Lucas

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just saving you from getting mobbed on here. That comment will not fly with some people.

23. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002

Yes.

I've been a member of this community since 1999 under a couple of different usernames, and the PT haters are a minority - a very loud and obnoxious minority, but a minority nonetheless.

I also attended the first-ever SLC Comic-Con last September and participated in a panel discussion that was solely dedicated to discussing and appreciating the merits of the PT and involved a room-ful of older SW fans.

24. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    You've heard the term "Vocal Minority" yes?

Samnz likes this.
  25. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    There is an interesting angle to this: perhaps for a small child the complete shock of the revelation would have more impact than the complex story of a good guy making wrong choices and becoming bad, while the later can be much more interesting and rewarding for an older person than the former.

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't watch the Saga in its entirety before you're 12, if you really want to "get" the story in your first viewing (and perhaps, the OT is slightly more accesible for younger children).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.