Viewing Star Wars for the first time Thurs

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Eliezar, Nov 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
  1. Eliezar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Ok, to start off... my girlfriend has never seen the original Star Wars movies. She saw Episode One in the theater, and she saw Episode Two for the first time after I bought the DVD, and apparently she thoroughly enjoyed both movies.

But something funny happened while watching AOTC. During the movie she turned to me and asked...

Her: "So it that Skywalker guy in this one?"

Me: "Who?"

Her: "That Luke Skywalker guy."

Me: "Oh no, that guy (Anakin) is his father."

Her: "Oh, well is that other guy in it?"

Me: "What guy??"

Her: That Darth Vader guy."

That is when it hit me... My girlfriend doesn't realise that Vader is Lukes father!

Originally, I was going to wait until after she saw Episode 3 to show her the classic Star Wars movies... but knowing this, I can't wait. I don't want her to find out the big secret by mistake, or in Episode 3!!

So, tomorrow, we are watching Episodes IV-VI in a row. I can't wait to see how she responds. I thought I would chime in and share this monumental occasion with you folks. I'll update you after the big day tomorrow :D (if anyones interested)
  2. Apprentice_Anakin Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, I'm so happy for you! It made me so happy to know there are people out there who DON'T know that Vader is Luke's father. Please let me know how she reacts. Unfortuantely, I saw Star Wars when I was very young, too young to appreciate it. So I've never had to joy of being shocked.
  3. jedi_quinn Force Ghost

star 4
    It would be nice to have a selective memory wipe and view all the SW films in order gor the first time.

By knowing the OT, the PT is less exciting because you know that characters such as Obi-Wan, Anakin/Vader and Yoda are not goign to die. EVery time they are placed in danger, you know they will make it. The big mystery remains in HOW they got there, but it's not the same as watching them in order with no preconceptions.

BTW don't get me wrong, I still think the PT is great, just in a different way!
  4. halibut Chosen One

star 8
    tell her not to bother. they're over-rated.
  5. DarthZchour Jedi Master

star 3
    That's pretty cool, dude.

I would suggest having her watch them all in order, I - VI. It would be something to hear from someone who watched it in its real order.

Tell you the truth, I envy her a little.
  6. TheWombat Jedi Master

star 4
    I feel the same way, by the time I was old enough to really watch the movies, I pretty much already knew that Vader was Luke's father. Most of the surprises were ruined, but hey, I still loved em :D
  7. DarthZchour Jedi Master

star 3
    Hear hear, Wombat. I'm gonna visit your lair.
  8. Puggy Jedi Knight

star 3
    Awww... I agree, your girlfriend's pretty lucky!

My dad had a similar problem. I think he probably saw the OT about the time it came out, so I was *hoping* he knew the whole connection between characters. I wasn't a big Star Wars fan when AOTC first came out, but I at least knew the family tree.

We went and saw EpII as a family, because it was Star Wars, and my mom said she liked Hayden Christensen (having seen promos). So, anyway, when Padmé and Anakin got married, my dad leaned over--thinking he had guessed some sort of mystery no one else was supposed to catch--and said to me: "They're the parents of Princess Leia."

I nodded and said, "Yes, and don't forget Luke." When I told him that, he gave me this priceless look like, "What are you talking about?!"

Afterwards, on the way home, my family had our typical discussion on the movie. My mom and I were talking about Anakin's turn to the dark side (possible causes and the like) when my dad randomly goes: "So what's that blonde haired kid got to do with anything, anyway?" I swear, my mother and I started cracking up... And my dad couldn't understand what was so funny. Finally, we reminded him that Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader, and he gave us one of those "Ooooh"'s, LOL.

I hope your girlfriend enjoys the OT. I think if she likes the PT, she'll love the OT... :D
    whostheBossk likes this.
  9. TheWombat Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks DarthZchour, hope you enjoy it. Right now it takes about 30 seconds to pop all the stuff up, something is screwy with tripod. But hey, it's a free website, lol.
  10. Capt_Piett Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, I never will know that feeling. Everybody I know has seen the OT.
    Does anybody have any excuses for my dad to see the rest of the OT or the PT? My father is a man that tends to like small/ subtitled productions. He saw ANH and thats it. Wow, is he missing out!

Piett Lives!
    Capt_Piett
  11. Crack_6K Jedi Knight

star 1
    Altzheimer's, come get me!
  12. burrisjedimaster1 Force Ghost

star 4
    I had that same experince last week. These people who were watching it had no clue of who Vader was and Luke and so on alls they thought was that Anakin was hot. Never the less they did get into it.
  13. VadersLaMent Chosen One

star 9
    She has taken her first step into a larger world.
  14. Eliezar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Hey, thanks for all of the great replies...

I thought you guys would get a kick out of hearing about this. The good thing about my GF is that I get to live vicariously though her. She has never seen most of the movies I love, and it is great to see someone experiance them for the first time.

I'll chime back in after she has seen the movies.
  15. SithLord-Will Jedi Knight

star 3
    Lucky Bastards are all the peoplke old enough to have seen it in theators.. i too learned darth vaders secret to young to apreciate it... i never had the chance to sit in my room and watch as vader slioced off lukes hand, and told him "No, I am your father" and just stare in amazment... "Did he just say that?" Lucky.... ALL OF YOU!!! oh i wish i had a friend who hasnt seen the ot...; so i can watch their face...
  16. MasterAero Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] good one VadersLaMent

I had a friend in college who hadn't seen any of the movies til he got to college. I was shocked that someone who coulda seen them as a young kid had missed out.
    I thought Vader was lying when I first saw it. By Jedi I'd figured he was telling the truth.
  17. QuiGonJade Jedi Master

star 4
    The way I see it I was extra lucky. I grew up with the OT and when ESB was new a friend told me the "big secret". The thing was, the big secret was Vader cutting off Luke's hand. So then I'm watching the movie, waiting, waiting, waiting for the hand to get sliced off, and then finally it does, and I'm sitting there thinking I've just witnessed the big moment of the movie. Then Vader drops this other thing on us all, and suddenly I was saying, oh, I had no that idea that one was coming!

As long as there's no Episode III I would definitely recommend watching 4,5,and 6 first. I don't think you can keep that kind of secret for 2 1/2 years anyway. Once 3 is out though, it's a harder decision.

Just my 2 cents.

18. Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Sounds pretty cool. A little advice though. I don't know how long you've been with her but don't geek out around her too much. Might freak her out.
  19. NinthSith Jedi Youngling

star 1
    TO be honest someone that doesnt kmow this and saw it for the first time really wouldnt care(there not star wars fans
  20. LittleJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    She might not be a SW fan now.... but that doesn't mean she won't be in the near future.. ;)

I learnt that Darth Vader was Luke's father by watching the Simpsons, surprisingly enough. ;)

I wish I hadn't known because seeing THAT scene in ESB would have been so much cooler the first time around... ah well, I love that scene to death anyway. ;)

Hope your girlfriend enjoys the films! :D

LittleJedi
  21. Eliezar Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, something came up (I forgot it was my uncle's birthday), so we only had time to watch "A New Hope". She thoroughly enjoyed it though. She thinks R2 is adorable.

Right now, I think she suspects that the little bounty hunter Kid (Boba Fett) became Vader ;) I wonder what she will think once ESB gets rolling :D
  22. Moriarte Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You know, there must be a name for this phenonmenon where we are all getting excited over people seeing SW for the first time in order, or at all...it could only happen with SW.

I mean...I even have it planned out when I show my children and wife(if she hasn't seen them), all the SW movies in order, just for the sheer excitement of hearing them discuss it when seeing them in the true order!

WOW, I can't wait either, go you! :D

Ciou-See the Sig
  23. Tupolov Jedi Master

star 4
    tell her that jar-jar is the hero in them all. and then when she sees that he isn't you yell "that fool lucas must have changed it"
  24. Darth_Scarlet Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey, I wish I was your girlfriend! Only because I wish I were watching all the SW movies for the first time. Ya' know I just thought of something. My cat has never seen the movies. Perhaps, I'll watch all of them tonight with him so I can live vicariously through his reaction! [face_laugh]
  25. BLACKJEBUS Force Ghost

star 4
    My old girlfriend never saw the OT either. She also didn't know that Vader is Luke's father!

It was awesome when she saw ESB with me for the first time, and when Vader told Luke: "No! I am your father!", she was startled and immediately asked me, "Is he really?!".

It was definately a cool moment!
Moderators: Darth_Nub, MOC Yak Face
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.