Viewing the CW Episodes - SW.com or CartoonNetwork.com?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV' started by TiniTinyTony, Oct 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snap-hiss Force Ghost

star 5
    Ghent (Paul Ens) made the statement on the OS boards that it would be fixed "this morning" which if going by Pacific time means anywhere up to 7 hours from now.

Pathetic. Providing a downloadable version would solve this problem. They're so worried that people that didn't pay for HS would be able to view it, now no one can.

!snap
  2. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Pathetic. Providing a downloadable version would solve this problem. They're so worried that people that didn't pay for HS would be able to view it, now no one can.

The fact is... people who didn't pay for Hyperspace can still view the "best" streaming version online despite the precautions the OS has inflicted upon its paying customers.
  3. snap-hiss Force Ghost

star 5
    Our only hope can be that by Monday night they figure out how to get their act together for the second chapter.

!snap
  4. royalguard96 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Wouldn't it be funny if one day, the webgeeks over at the OS actually overestimated the demand for videos and the like?
  5. Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus

star 5
    Well I stop trying to watch it over on Hyperspace at 11:00 PM last night. I tried again this morning and it still is not working. [face_plain]
  6. Everton Chosen One

star 10
  7. Mc-Lan Jedi Master

star 4
    How do you save it the cartoon?

This post made possible by Mc-Lan :cool:

8. Mc-Lan Jedi Master

star 4
    How do you buff it?

9. snap-hiss Force Ghost

star 5
    It's now no longer streaming... however still flawed and skipping for me.

from the OS boards: "It is downloadable, using the normal method of copying it out of the browser cache."

Could someone please explain to me how this is done?

!snap
  10. Mc-Lan Jedi Master

star 4
    Could anyone explain to me how to save the file from the temp internet files into a saveable movie?

11. DarthPack Jedi Knight

The cartoon is now downloadable... You can click on the button to start watching. Then, when the window opens and the cartoon begins to play, click on the pause (or stop) button. Watch the download status bar continue to grow until the cartoon is full downloaded. Then, you can right-click on the cartoon window and choose "Save As Quicktime Movie". Choose a destination on your hard drive and click <Save> and you will have it.

Keep in mind that I have the full version of Quicktime. You may not be able to do this without the full version... However, remember that the full "ripped" version of Quicktime is available at the "usual place". In fact, that is where I got mine....
  12. darth_paul Force Ghost

star 5
    Ah, that would be me who said that on the OS boards, which is really really weird for some reason. Or maybe it's just that I need sleep.

I'm going to assume you're using IE6. You need to let the video load completely. It's not necessary to watch it all the way through, but hey, why not? Then, you go to the Tools menu and select Internet Options. Under the little rectangular area marked Temporary Internet Files, press the Settings button. Press the View Files button. Click on the column heading marked Type and then go down to either the Qs for QuickTime Movie (that's what it is on my system) or the Ms for MOV. If there's more than one there, you can look at the file sizes... These should be close to 40 MB. And of course watching them is always a good way of identifying too. Copy to a location of your choice.

Edit: If you have purchased QuickTime Pro, you can do the right-click thing described above. Trust me, it's much easier. My method is the solution for anyone who hasn't bought QuickTime Pro. And I don't know about other browsers but this method has never worked really well for me in Mozilla. I'd recommend switching to IE for it if you can.

Edit #3: I deleted Edit #2. I made the same comment in a post on the TOS boards, and that post was deleted. I'm taking that to mean they don't want it mentioned, and I'll respect that.

-Paul
  13. AniSkylover Force Ghost

star 2
    late, but anyway... thanks sw.com :)
  14. Mc-Lan Jedi Master

star 4
    It's about 37.3 MB so this is the actule movie and not just a link to it?

15. darth_paul Force Ghost

star 5
    Correct. If you've downloaded the 37.3 meg file, you have the actual movie and can play it back from your hard drive at will.

-Paul
  16. Mc-Lan Jedi Master

star 4
    Now just to figure out how to apply a buffer or whatever it's called

17. snap-hiss Force Ghost

star 5
    Do you mean buffer?

I got it out of my temp internet files and it's working, although a little skippy... is there something else I have to do to it?

!snap
  18. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Some points...

1) For buffering, your program (either Quicktime or RealPlayer) will handle the buffering automatically.

2) For saving things out of your Temporary Internet Files folder, follow the steps above BUT sort by "Size" (twice, I think, to do large to small). Typically movies are the largest things in there, so they're easier to spot that way.

Enjoy!
  19. SithMacqdor Jedi Knight

star 2
    when are they going to open for downloading? Have they set a date yet?

20. darth_paul Force Ghost

star 5
    Uhhh.... Last night they started streaming, and this morning they started downloading.

BTW, it's finally up on CartoonNetwork.com. It's 320x240, which is fully 75% of what we're getting here on FS. They get to choose their format, RealOne or QuickTime - not that that's a huge plus. But to be honest, even if it's a little bit basic, I like their commentary a lot better: "Senator Palpatine, who's the head... uh... guy, and him and Anakin have kinda bonded."

-Paul
  21. Mc-Lan Jedi Master

star 4
    What do you mean 75%?

they don't have the whole episode?

22. JediMasterGuff Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    What do you mean 75%?

they don't have the whole episode?

No, it is only 75% the size of the HS one.
  23. Mc-Lan Jedi Master

star 4
    How did everyone get the clone wars on the net?

24. half vader Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, it looks like sanity has prevailed. I just downloaded both the regular and commentary versions. Regular saves, no streaming. At first I got an error trying to load - I guess they were changing over to the regular quicktime versions. Then everything went smoothly. I'm on a mac with Hyperspace and Quicktime Pro.

I'm glad they changed the lousy decision. After forking out for Hyperspace it's a bit rough not to be able to save it. What do they think we were going to do? Boycott the T.V. version because we'd already seen it on the net? - It's not like we could make any money selling it to people, is it? "Uh, do you wanna buy this low-rez version of something you're gonna watch on T.V. anyway?" "Uh, hello?"

The thing I think is completely insidious though is the whole 'U.S. based server' thing. Do they understand what the idea of the internet is? Dissemination of information no matter where you are or what platform you're on.

The U.S. based thing sounds like the ignorant Laserdisc/DVD region thing all over again. Will these people never learn that the 'early adopter'/hardcore fan will watch it on the net AND television AND buy the DVD - or when it comes to saving movie trailers the same thing applies. The Animatrix analogy was a good one. In addition, did anyone NOT buy the DVDs because the official Matrix site posted trailers in 1024 high rez versions? All that happened was that the thing looked so good on the computer it got played over and over again, and we all got really hyped to hit the theatre on opening day. Wake up, LFL. A 640 or higher rez version would be cool, too.
  25. Everton Chosen One

star 10
    Indeed. Sanity.

Great news... and my faith in Hyperspace has been restored.

At least for now... ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.