Atlantic Views on the Iraq situation

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Ramble_Boba, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, but it seems the US gov't hasn't learned from it's mistakes ...
  2. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    We should never have been there...

That's the way we here in Canada feel about Iraq.
  3. Sar-Tamber-lac Force Ghost

star 5
    In all honesty, what do you think would happen if the US just pulled out and left Saddam alone? If we had no more part in it. Do you honestly think he would sit by and keep those weapons for his own amusement? That's one helluva hobby.
  4. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I think he would keep the weapons for defence. The people of Iraq would live happy, safe lives, and the region would be stabilized.

Have we not exploited their lands and meddled in their affairs enough?
  5. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    If the US pulled out and backed off, it would give the UN time and room to investigate the place and find out if he even has any so-called "weapons of mass destruction". If he did, the UN (not just the US) would move in, but probably not in an overly-aggressive attack mode, more than likely just peacekeepers for the time being. They would supervise the disposal of said weapons. If Saddam resisted, they would use force. However, if the inspectors found nothing, the UN would do what it's been doing the past 10 years.
  6. Gandalf the Grey Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I?m cautiously in favor of war. I think that Saddam should be taken out of power.

I?m vehemently against Operation Shock and Awe. If the US goes through with it, George Bush will be the worlds leading terrorist.
  7. DarthBabe Force Ghost

star 7
    Cool, Gandolf is here.
  8. YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada

star 4
    Personally I'm against it.

IMO the US has no right to go in and tell another country what to do. It is the UN's job.
    It is the UN's job to police the world. The US is not the worlds police force, the US is a vigilanty working by it's own law above the laws of the UN.
  9. Sar-Tamber-lac Force Ghost

star 5
    Meh...y'all will be thankin us for savin your lives when this is all over... ;)
  10. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Do you even know what Shock and Awe is, Tammy?

Essentially, it's a plan to obliterate the country with a rain of warheads. We're talking real biblical here. The people won't have a chance. To me, it's cowardly, and morally wrong.

It's impossible to surrender to a cruise missle. The US isn't taking prisoners. They're just killing.
  11. Az-Azzameen Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    //half expects American commandoes to storm the Amazon basin, and disarming the indians of their weapons of mass destruction i.e. blowpipes, because they constitute a threat to western civilisation.

Damn missiles have a range of 92 miles. Thats not even enough to reach Israel! Let alone the UK [face_plain]

Tony Blair - you can p-off. Democracy is dead!

Woohoo! :D
  12. AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Master

star 4
  13. Sar-Tamber-lac Force Ghost

star 5
    Well....we're on the brink, people...

*raises glass*

Here's hopin for a somewhat positive outcome
  14. DarthBabe Force Ghost

star 7
    Positive outcome? People are gonna die, what's positive about that!
  15. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I can tell you the outcome right now. The US will go in, kill anyone who resists, murder the government officials (of course, they'll use the nicer-sounding term "regime change"), destabilize the region, and then leave to bully some other country, leaving the UN with the job of cleaning up the mess.
  16. Sar-Tamber-lac Force Ghost

star 5
    Nothing positive, just tryin to save face

I figured this thread was gonna come up anyway, so I just did it myself, but I think I'll back out, because I know my views will be nothing but torn apart in here.

No offense to anyone else, by no means. But I understand that, especially in Canada, I will most certainly be in the minority. So I'll let y'all do your debatin without any arguments from me. :)
  17. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Without you, there won't be any debating. I think we all agree, don't we? ;)
  18. Izird Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, here's my side:

It is the UN's job to police the world. The US is not the worlds police force, the US is a vigilanty working by it's own law above the laws of the UN.

I agree wholeheartedly. Tammy, I meant it when I said last night that I mostly agree with the war. However, I also said that the US should have gotten more approval from the UN first. The US is a little too gung ho, and could very well get a spanking from a number of nations.

So either Bush is right, and this preventative attack will save us all, or he is like Don Quixhote making windmills out to be giants. Either way, what's done is done, and we'll just have to see what the outcome is.

Now I believe you all owe me $0.02 :)
  19. DarthBabe Force Ghost

star 7
    Nothing is positive about death...or invading another country.
  20. Woofer Jedi Master

star 4
    OK here is my point:

The United Nations has made several resolutions stating that Iraq must disarm.

On that I think we can all agree.

The last resolution (made last fall) said that if the disarmanent did not occur soon then there would be "dire consequences".

Another eay to agree to point.

So Moron, I mean Bush, gets on TV last night and gives Saddam an ultimatum.

He has 2 days to resign!!!

OK, so can you tell me where the ???? that came from?? He did not give him an ultimatum to disarm. He did not say "We are tired of of all the stalling tactics". If he had you could almost justify it the US just pushing the process along, even if it wasn't fully agreed on the timing.

There is absolutely no basis to ask Saddam to step down though. Bush spouts of about democracy, even though he wasn't elected democratically. Saddam at least did get the majority of the votes.

Heck, what would happen if every other country that disagrees with Bush's position went on TV and told him he had 48 hours to resign?

I'm glad that Canada is not going to be fully involved. We always said we would never take part in a forced disarmanent without UN backing, and we certainly never agreed to or sanctioned a forced change in government.
  21. Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling

star 6
    On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the
    United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently
    and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't nice
    of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron
    shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like
    you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than
    you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and
    better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defense I guess our excuse
    would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your white house during the war of 1812. I notice
    you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but,
    we Feel your Pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against
    a crazed dictator, you wanna have your friends by your side. I realize it
    took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but
    that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons, and was capable of defending himself.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly
    apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly
    veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this.

We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Thank you.
  22. CrazyMike JC Collecting Manager and RSA Canada

Manager
    star 7
    What really bothers me are the pros and cons
    of this conflict. Pros we get rid of Saddam, his family, and weapons of mass destruction. The cons, people killed on both sides, terrorist acts increasing. The economy taking a beating. oil prices going up, the massive amount of money being spent on the war, the environmental impact of Saddam burning more oilfields, chemical weapons being used, the impact on Nato and the UN.

Believe me I would die right now for the freedom that we all have here in the west
    but I feel that sacrifices that will have to be made in IRAQ are too big of a price to pay. Saddam should have been wiped out during the last war. I pray that this war will end soon...

23. Sar-Tamber-lac Force Ghost

star 5
    OK, so can you tell me where the ???? that came from?? He did not give him an ultimatum to disarm. He did not say "We are tired of of all the stalling tactics". If he had you could almost justify it the US just pushing the process along, even if it wasn't fully agreed on the timing.

I'm sorry...was 12 years and numerous broken UN resolutions not long enough?

*slaps self for jumpin back in this*
  24. DarthBabe Force Ghost

star 7
    Rick Mercer wrote that...Chris's post that is.
  25. Ton_G Force Ghost

star 4
    well, we have about 8 hours before the war can start.... I am not sure what position to take... While war is bad so I Saddam but who has the most waepons of mass destructrion? >> ****[face_flag]===========
    ****[face_flag]===========
    ****[face_flag]===========
    ===================
    ===================
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.