main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Villains the Saga wide....

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Darthur C. Clarke, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Darthur C. Clarke

Darthur C. Clarke Jedi Master star 3

Jul 8, 2016
    Now that we have a new trilogy coming with no ties to established Star Wars lore, it begs the question of what form of villain will it have? The villain drives conflict; in a new trilogy this will define who the heroes have to be and such.

So first, I'd like to try to recount villains we've already seen and what a new villain crafted after them could be like. I by no means remember all the villains we've had, including Legends since I'm primarily talking about the 'architecture' of the villain, i.e. motivations, skills, style, rank and power.

The prequel and original trilogies have the same 'big bad' villain in the Emperor/Palpatine/Sidious. However, the prequels had 'puppet' villains like the Trade Federation and Separatists. Villains who had no idea the true intentions they were serving, including clones programmed to betray at the right time. The Original Trilogy had the Empire, and Darth Vader, who was arguably the main villain until Return of the Jedi. So an evil government, a bad-ass henchman, and the Emperor.

The Sequel Trilogy seems to be a rogue government in the First Order, a different bad-ass henchman in Kylo Ren, and Snoke. Similar to the OT, but they don't dominate the galaxy yet; I believe the New Republic is still in power at this point, which makes that more like the PT.

In Legends, we've had Thrawn. The version we've seen in Rebels and new canon books isn't the bad-ass we know yet, but he could be getting there. Smart, even honorable, not quite evil; but calculating and dedicated to order, even at the expense of freedom.

The Yuuzhan Vong, as a species; completely fanatical and implacable. Plus, Nom Anor, the Starscream of Star Wars; Shimraa, a super-powered puppet; Tsavong Lah, the fanatic calculating bad-ass; and Onimi, the secret mutant power behind the throne.

The Old Republic era had the Sith, when they weren't just a few darksiders, but a true culture. Exar Kun, Revan, Darth Bane, Freedon Nadd. Not to mention Mandalore.

Anybody want to help recall or hazard guesses as to the direction our new villain(s) will take?

kalzeth likes this.
  2. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    I would like to see full on factions of darksiders and jedi. We've had a lot of Rule of Two for a while.

And even though i dont think were going Old Republic...it would be nice to see the battle of Malachor V on the big screen.

11-4D, kalzeth, lawton and 1 other person like this.
  3. Darthur C. Clarke

Jul 8, 2016

I was always fascinated by the Sith from the Lost Tribe stuff near the end of Legends and the glory days of Korriban.

kalzeth likes this.
  4. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    yeah i remember in KOTOR II when you explored the old sith academy there. and there were giant statues of dead ancient sith lords. That would be awesome to see. BTW, Lucas changed it to Moriban didnt he? haha

kalzeth and Darthur C. Clarke like this.
  5. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    I want a female Villain in Star Wars... not just someone like Phasma... I want the BIG BAD to be female for a change!

6. Darthur C. Clarke

Jul 8, 2016

In Legends, we had Admiral Daala, Lumiya, Alema Rar, and Abeloth, if you can consider Abeloth female.... And I don't think Ventress has ever officially died on screen, correct?

I could see someone like Lumiya or Abeloth being a big bad; maybe even a Daala or Rae Sloane type character.

kalzeth likes this.
  7. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    [​IMG]

EviL_eLF likes this.
  8. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    We saw what happens when you try to put an army of Jedi on the screen though.

So, ahh, I guess my only point is that...we've already seen this?

9. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Jedi and Sith teaming together to beat a common foe, someone immune to the force for example but still powerful.

Actually that sounds too much like a Marvel film. Bleh

kalzeth likes this.
  10. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    Sounds like the Vong.

11. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I would like to see a group - Not just a single person as such... "The Moffs" for e.g. ...say 7 or so Tarkin style characters that vote on the issues and scheme against one another etc

Answering this question is really hard having no idea what timeline they will be going with - Back, forward, sideways...??

12. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    yeah, and lots of menacing meetings and debates...

No thanks, I like central villains. Easier to portray one baddie as being bad than a group of equals. The group of equals already are compromised by being equals and thus are semi neutered.

You could have a singular baddie with a large number of followers though...a cult like scenario would work.

13. Ian passman

Ian passman Jedi Master star 2

Mar 16, 2013
    I wouldn't mind a trilogy that featured characters unrelated to the force. Star wars can be so much more than what we've seen. All they would have to do in order to print money is toss in some lightsabers and a few monologues about light, darkness, and destiny. I'd rather not see more more of that. I've played all the games, seen all the movies, and read most of the books. I'd dearly love something innovative and fresh. Like maybe a villain who doesn't want to rule the galaxy, or a hero who doesn't want to save it. In fact, no heroes or villains at all, just two opposing sides with equally valid views whose morality the viewer can decide.

14. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Who is this of, by the way? Looks neat.

If they do a villain, I hope it's somebody like Darth Traya. Somebody who presents things in shades of grey, making the heroes (and audience) have to think.

kalzeth likes this.
  15. EviL_eLF

Mar 16, 2003
    That's the villain in Thor Ragnarok, Hela the Goddess of Death

Darthur C. Clarke likes this.
  16. Darthur C. Clarke

Jul 8, 2016

In the idea of shades of grey, that would be quite similar to Jacen Solo/aka Darth Caedus. At least the earlier parts of his 'Sith' storyline. They made him someone who had reasons for using the darkside, and some of them were almost honorable.

I have always preferred honorable villains. Magneto, Thrawn, and the like. It makes it more interesting if the villain is not only understandable and believable but someone you kinda root for as well.

17. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    I'd like to see a "darkside army", namely, guys wearing black and using red lightsabers. But as far as I'm concerned, the Sith and Jedi can be left in the past completely. As long as there are lightsabers, the Force, droids, space battles, blasters, aliens and new worlds, those two particular factions can be history (technically, the Sith are gone after ROTJ, but we'll see if that is retconned in the following films).

kalzeth likes this.
  18. zam wesell2005

zam wesell2005 Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 23, 2015
    I don’t like this idea of darkside army. They start blending together and it makes them less special. If they go back, they should bring in Darth Bane.

Who was this?

19. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Ugh.. lol

20. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    It's kind of weird having Papaltine, Palpaltine and then Snoke as the big main villains. I guess you could count Vader as the main villain of the OT as he way more screen time.