main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Vincula Amicitiae (Book I in the Days Like These series)~~ Thank you for the award!~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    Wonderful!
    :D

I really do hope Drex changes his mind about taking a Padawan, seems like he needs to get moving on from his last one... Poor guy. :(

I like how Me' (or, Shane I believe I should say) is trying to protect Kyran - and going through the air shaft to visit! [face_laugh]

More soon???

2. -Darksaber-

-Darksaber- Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 22, 2005
    Is it over? :_|

3. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Oh, good finish! =D=. Thanks for answering my questions. I didn't really expect you too.

Well, I definitely sense more stories behind this. :) Great set-up! A very enjoyable story in its own right.

Hmm, Shane. It's a good name. :D

Wonderful job!

4. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Jedi_Tigris: Heh, well, that arc is over. The series however, is just beginning. So there will be plenty more cuteness ahead. :D We?re glad you loved all those parts, and hope you?ll continue to love this. :)

Qui-Gina-Jinn: Hopefully Drex will, and yes, he needs to move on to heal. Heh, and glad you like Shane?s stunts. And yes, more now in fact. :)

-Darksaber-: Don?t worry, we?re just getting started. This is far from over. :D

maychorian: Heh, we know, but we strive to answer reader?s questions to the best of our abilities. So, if you ever have more, feel free to ask. :) Thank you, we were happy with how we set the stage this time, and that?s a good sense you have, we?ve got a lot of stories ahead. And thanks; I was happy with the name too. :D

Thank you all for your excellent comments! I know I said we wouldn?t be late, but we decided to stick this in between our originally intended next post and the first Bonding arc that you?ve read. Hope you enjoy it, though, don?t mind the mild randomness of it. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

What's a Jedi vignette

Five-year-old Shane Callister glanced around, unsure of where to go. He had gotten restless while in the crèche, and had persuaded his friend Kyran to come with him in a search for the gardens, since none of the Masters on duty would take them. It was a bad thing to do, he knew that, and if they were caught, they would be in serious trouble. But it was nothing new to him. During the last six or so months he had been in the Temple, he had become known for his various mishaps, and rule breakage. Though, he probably wouldn't have done as much, if Kyran hadn't supported a lot of his actions.

Glancing back at his friend, he grinned at him, "Ky, are you sure they're this way?"

"Um... " Kyran paused glancing around to get his bearings. "I think it is. Let's go this way, we can find it faster here..." he pointed out a new direction.

Shane nodded, going in the direction indicated. After a bit, he stopped, "I don't think this is it..." Looking around the hall, he picked up a faint hissing sound, like that of one weapon against another. Pinpointing the door where the sounds were coming from, he started towards it, "Lets go check that out."

Kyran sighed a little bit. "Shane... We're gonna get in trouble! We have to find the gardens! There's Masters in there!"

"Then we had best be quiet," Shane opened the door carefully, and glanced in, before looking to Kyran, "But, if you want, you can wait out here. I'm just going to take a peek."

Kyran peered around the door with his friend, "Well, if you get in trouble just by yourself, I'll have no one to play with, so I guess I had better come too."

Shane merely smiled, before slipping in. Making sure to hide himself in the shadows, he silently made his way down to where he could see the main floor of what he realized to be a training room. One Master stood, his light whip slithering around him like a snake as he watched his opponent, who circled him, looking for a way to attack with his lightsaber. Shane smiled a little as he recognized them, and he looked to Kyran, "Its Master Zephir and Rixar," he whispered.

Kyran watched with wide eyes as the two masters sparred. "Wow." He had seen knights spar before when they had come for demonstrations to his class, but he knew Shane never had and he always enjoyed watching them.

Shane nodded vaguely in agreement, though his eyes were locked on the two fighters below. He had seen many fights, both training and real, at home. Sometimes with weapons, though he had never seen one with these types of weapons. There was another difference; this match wasn't messy, or brutal. It was straight grace and power, simple yet elegant in every move the two made. And he could feel the power...the Force, seeming to spark in the air between them. It was odd, yet fascinating.

"This is what we'll be trained to do," Kyran whispered, "When we're chosen as padawans."

"This?" Shane wondered. It was an odd thought; all his techniques of fig

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Aww that was cute! Zeph trying to be 'scary' but not really! LOL!

Liked how Shane wants Zeph to be his Master ;) how interesting is that! :D And of course Kyran with Drex :D

Great chapter! Those two kids are gonna get into trouble that's for sure! ;) let alone sneaking about!

6. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    Oh, how sweet...

I'm so glad this isn't over. Shane and Ky are so cute..

Group hug!!! [:D]

7. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Yay, I'm glad this isn't over yet! :D

Shane and Ky are so cute, and so much trouble! :p Its so sweet how they know which Master they would really like to have. LOl at Zephyr putting on the "scary Master look", and the attempted mind trick.

Great little viggie!:)

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Kynstar I'm glad you're enjoying it :D And yes they are going to get in trouble a good deal more later down the road if Shane keeps up that ;) Thanks for reading!

Darksaber Nope it's not over! We're glad you're enjoying it!

Jedi_Tigris Yep they are quite a handful ;) Hehehe Ky was trying hard ;) He just didn't succeed :p

Here's another one!

The Way of the Force

Seven year old Shane Callister stuck his head out of the door way, before glancing back at his best friend, "Come on, Ky, there aren't any Masters out here," he then started to sneak around the door frame, looking both ways before silently rushing to a nearby column.

"Shane!" Kyran hissed before joining his friend at the column. "We're gonna get in trouble!"

"Not if we're not seen," Shane grinned wickedly at his friend, before taking off again to the next column.

Kyran quickly followed. "You do remember we had to scrub rocks last time you said that."

"That was because I didn't watch properly. I know better now. Trust me. Besides, this time it will be worth it," Shane assured him, glancing around.

Kyran huffed. "What is so interesting that we have to sneak out?"

"They're bringing the new youngling today," Shane said excitedly.

"Really?" Kyran didn't look as thrilled. "What's so exciting about babies? They spit up, burp and poop and sleep and that's about it."

"I know, and usually I wouldn't care either... But... don't you sense it?" Shane blinked curiously at him.

"All I sense is your excitement. What do you sense?'

"I don't know," Shane considered it for a moment, "It just feels like something big is about to happen. I've felt it since I heard."

"I haven't felt anything like that," Kyran said, frowning at his friend.

Shane shrugged, "I don't know why I feel it and you don't, though that's odd, usually we sense what the other feels..." he looked Kyran over before sneaking onwards.

Kyran shook his head and followed him, "If I have to scrub rocks, I?m telling Master Perchel that this was your idea."

"Go ahead. I think Master Perchel expects it by now," Shane smirked, and stopped, "How far away is the hanger bay? It never seemed this far away before..."

"That's cause you've never been there except for once," Kyran reminded him.

"True... Well, you've been there twice. How much further is it?" Shane asked.

Kyran threw up his hands in exasperation, "I knew this was a bad idea," he said.

Shane was about to retort something back when he heard footsteps coming towards them. Glancing down the hall, he swiftly grabbed Kyran and pressed as best as he could into the small space behind the nearest column.

Kyran stuck his tongue out in a very childlike manner, "See?" he whispered.

Shane just remained silent and rolled his eyes. The footsteps came closer, until they seemed right next to their hiding spot when they stopped.

"You two might as well come out of there," a deep voice said, sounding more amused then disciplinary.

Shane peeked around the column and paled. Master Dooku, a person he knew to be a friend of Master Zephir and Master Rixar, was standing there, looking right at their hiding spot. He carried a bundle of cloth in his arms, or so it looked. Deciding the game was up, they both came out.

Kyran blushed and gave Shane an "I told you so" look. He peered at the bundle of cloth in Dooku's arms. "What's that?" he asked pointing.

Dooku looked them over, "Perhaps I should ask some questions first, and then we'll see if I'll answer yours. Namely, why are you two out here, and not at the crèche?"

It was Shane's turn to blush faintly in embarrassment, "We just wanted to see the new youngling, Master Dooku."

Kyran pointed to Shane, "It was his idea."

"Indeed..." Dooku studied them for a few minutes, "Well, then its good I caught you in the hall instead of having you go all the way to the hanger. Because this little one," he shifted the very small bundle into one arm, and uncovered its face, "Is the new little one you couldn't wait to

9. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    Quiggy! It's Quiggy! Yay! *bounces up and down with excitement*

Ahem. *struggles to regain composure*

*Rolls eyes and forgets about jedi dignifiedness for a sec*

Yay! Quiggy! Yay!

"If you'll excuse me for a while, Layren, I'm probably going to be at this for a while.."

*Hops out of room, and down hall shouting "Quiggy! Yay!"*

10. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Eeep!!! The cuteness!!!

Me'leth-whateverhisnameis has an easier name!! Yay!! :p

And I knew Qui-Gon would be putting in an appearance sometime.... especially if Layren's writing part of a fic. :p

11. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    Qui!! :D That was so cute! Haven't they figured out that they can't hide from Masters? Though, they actually didn't get in trouble this time! :p Hmm, I wonder if they have some sort of bond with Qui-Gon too? I loved when Kyran held Qui. :)

12. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Ohh, this was very nice. I liked:

1. The language barrier, and how Shane knew "play" as a threatening word.

2. How Kyren's innocence conquers all, and even seems to be giving Shane some of his own childhood back as the two become friends and sneak around the Temple.

3. The kids' emotional understanding of the Force, which seems a lot fresher and truer than some Masters' new agey theoretical babble: Kyren sees "a bright spot", Shane instinctively knows it's a little off to give this all-encompassing power such a simple name.

4. Kyren trying to mind-trick a master! Ahhaha! I can totally imagine Jedi initiates having the misconception that being persuasive *always* includes using that little Force push. It would be normal to them, I think.

13. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    -Darksaber-: Heh, glad to see someone happy about that. Though I fear Qui has disappered for a little while. ;)

CodeName_Targeter: Hopefully the cuteness is not too much yet. ;) And of course Qui is in it, he's the main reason for this series, even if it doesn't look like it. ;)

Jedi_Tigris: That thought hasn't made it through yet. ;) As to whether or not they do have a bond with Qui, you'll have to wait. And thanks, we thought it was cute too. :)

raisedbywolves: Wow, thank you for going into detail about what you liked. :) Those were all enjoyable for us to put in, so its nice when people point them out. :)

Thank you all for your comments, next post is swiftly on its way. :D

14. Layren

Oct 28, 2003

Adumbration

Shane sat high in the branches, idly watching the other children race under the tree that he occupied. Today was one of those days when he would have just preferred to relax with his best friend, instead of running around with the other children, or getting into more trouble on his own. Yet, what he preferred went unnoted by their annoying tag along.

Ryu Virote was the same age as them, though; he always tried to act like he was older, just to boss others around. He wasn't human, anyone with enough sense could tell that by looking at him. With clear scales tinged faintly green, long red hair, and slit amber eyes, Ryu was certainly too reptilian to be considered warm blooded, though he was shaped like a human, and could be considered cute by human standards. Shane couldn't remember what his species was called though, and at the moment, he didn't care.

Some how during the last month or so, Ryu had come to attach himself loosely to them. Probably due to their increasing record of being good fighters on the practice fields. Ryu liked to interact with people he believed to be strong, or important. It boosted his already incredible ego more.

Which is why Shane would have liked to kick him out of the tree to save himself from the gossipy babbling the other boy was spouting, but he restrained himself for the moment.

/Ky? How are you holding up?/ he sighed, glancing to Kyran who was on another branch nearby.

/I'm bored out of my mind listening to Scales over there... his ego is nearly as big as Master Sehan.../

/I'm guessing bigger. Maybe we should deflate it a bit next practice round,/ Shane mused.

Kyran snorted with laughter. /Good idea. Would you like the honors?/

/Oh, I couldn't, I might kill him,/ Shane smirked a little.

Kyran giggled and leapt down off of his branch. "Ryu...Shane and I have to go now.."

Ryu pouted a little, "But why? I was just getting started. I would think you would at least want to know about him," Ryu motioned to a rather impressive looking human boy standing among a small pack of other boys of various beings on the other side of the lake.

"We have meditation to do," Kyran smiled sweetly. "Bye!" he said pointedly and waved to Shane to come down.

Shane started to come down. Ryu shrugged. He didn't really care if they came or went, even though it irked him to be ignored, "Fine, but if Geth comes and finds you without you knowing the reason, don't say I didn't try to warn you."

Kyran shrugged. "Thanks for the warning. Come on, Shane. Let's go.."

Shane paused as soon as he came to ground level, and looked back up to Ryu, "Why would an elder child come after us?"

Kyran might be willing to let it go, but Shane knew first hand to watch for any possible enemies, and even gaining information from annoying sources was better then being blind to it.

Ryu smirked, "He heard about you two, about the fact that you're better then he was when he was our age. Geth is five years older, and supposedly the best hand to hand fighter in the crèche. Competition, even from our level, is something that he hates."

Kyran frowned at that information and filed it away, "Thanks for telling us, but we really do have to go."

They walked off quickly, leaving before Ryu could state anything further. Sighing a little once they were out of eye sight, Shane slowed his pace again, /I wonder if what he says is true.../

/I don't know but I don't feel like worrying about it now. /

/That's probably wise. Besides, Force knows three fourths of what Ryu says is nonsense./

Kyran agreed, /Let's get out of here before he decides to follow./

Shane nodded, and increased his pace once more.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kyran sighed. Sometime later that same day he was going to meet Shane back in the gardens for meditation before bedtime. Shane wasn't back from training yet so he was waiting rather impatiently.

He heard footfalls and listened, "Shane?" he called, hesitantly.

"No, unfortunately," a voice answered, and an older boy stepped from

15. raisedbywolves

raisedbywolves Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 1, 2005
    Whoa! [face_hypnotized] That Geth sounds like bad news. It seems like slamming that age limit on getting chosen as a padawan puts a lot of pressure on the kids.

LOL, that gossipy kid! Who doesn't remember HIM from high school?!

Neonstar, a story with that kind of detail just deserves a detailed reply!

16. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    [face_laugh] Cute talkative tagalong Ryu. There's always someone like that around. :D Geth sounds like trouble, hope his new master can help him.

Very nice! I love seeing Ky and Shane together. :)

17. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    raisedbywolves Geth is indeed bad news ;) Who knows maybe his new Master can help him ;) Then again, maybe nobody can :D Thanks so much for your detailed reply!

Jedi_Tigris I found Ryu more annoying than cute ;) and I know Ky did too! Thanks for reading!

Where did the rest of you readers go????

18. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    Just found this one this morning! Such a great story, I really like Shane & Ky is just too cute for words!

The snipetts of thier years in the creche are very cool, but I have a feeling that Geth is going to cause more problems for Shane especially in the long run. And they met Qui-Gon too, how wonderful! I bet when he gets a bit older he's going to turn the DYnamic DUo into the Three Musketeers! :)

19. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Shadowolf: Welcome to the thread. :) And I'm glad you do and that you think so. As to Geth, he certainly won't be leaving things alone in the future. And you maybe right about Qui-gon, we'll just have to see. ;) Thank you for your comments. :)

Next post should be up really soon. :)

20. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Convergence

Shane inwardly growled, while outwardly looking displeased, /Ky, I could have killed him. No one would have noticed him missing..../ It was another day, and Ryu had once again taken to harassing them. Unfortunately this time Ryu had said the wrong thing to Shane, namely about his over attachment to the family he barely remembered. Shane had been purely livid after that point, and it had taken a lot for Kyran to drag him away.

/Sha, you know that would not have been a good thing. You'd get kicked out, then I'd have nobody to play with,/ he admonished, /Come on, let's go to toddler room in the crèche. We can escape from Ryu in there./

Shane allowed himself to be dragged along, /Alright,/ he sighed; though he kept throwing poisonous looks back towards where he knew Ryu was sulking.

/We could go see the youngling we saw when he arrived. What was his name again? Qui something../ Kyran suggested, to get his mind off Ryu.

/Qui-gon Jinn,/ Shane put in, Kyran's distraction working as he calmed down a little at the thought of the young one.

/You'd better be calm by the time we get down there, or you'll make him upset,/ Kyran replied.

/I'm...working on it,/ that was the last thing Shane wanted. It took a bit to staunch it, considering how close to home Ryu's remark had been, but he managed to smother it.

Kyran smiled as they came to the toddler room and pulled open the door. He looked around wrinkling his nose in distaste. Why had he suggested they go in there? Toddlers were shrieking at the top of their lungs, throwing things at each other, and trying to bite each other. All except one. Kyran finally spotted him sitting over in a corner playing with a stack of blocks.

Shane took the lead, tugging Kyran along, past the other toddlers, straight for the child in the corner. It had been a little over a year since they had last seen him, yet something tugged at Shane, pointing right to the lone child. That same something had tugged at him when he had first heard of him, so he trusted it.

The child stopped cold seeing them approach. He had one block in his hand and held it protectively as if it were his most prized possession. He was always the one things were taken from and he certainly wasn't going to let anybody else take his toys. He stared up at them with big, blue eyes.

Any anger that had been left died as they drew close. Shane smiled kindly, and knelt, aware of the suspicious look the child was throwing him, "Hello, little one. You're Qui-gon, right?" Making absolutely sure wouldn't hurt anything.

The boy nodded as he continued to eye them warily. "Hello," he replied cautiously, still cradling his block.

"There's no need to be frightened of us. We came to see you, that's all," Shane kept up the friendly smile, completely unbothered.

Qui-Gon looked at them, in some surprise, "To see me? Why?" Nobody had ever shown any interest before, other than the crèche Masters.

Here Shane paused a little, a bit unsure of how to respond. It had just seemed like the right idea when Kyran had suggested it. He glanced to Kyran, silently asking the same.

Kyran blinked at his friend's question; "We just wanted to. We saw you when Master Dooku brought you to the Temple," he said, trying to explain.

Qui-Gon looked at Kyran in surprise and awe, "You did?"

"We did," Shane agreed, "We even sneaked out of the crèche to do so."

Qui-Gon looked astonished that anyone would care about him that much, "But, why? I'm not anybody special."

"Oh, I wouldn't say that. Everyone is special. Its just that the Force said you were special to us," and it was true. Shane could sense the tiny ties between himself and Qui-gon, as he was sure Kyran could feel the same. They were almost like the bond he had automatically felt with his best friend when they had met.

Kyran nodded his agreement. Qui-Gon's blue eyes widened, "It did? What else did it say?'

"That we had to see you right when you came, to be the first ones to welcome you home," Shane almost reached out across those thin threads

21. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Where did everybody go????? [face_worried]

22. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    True :) only go where the Force leads ya ;)

Sorry for not posting earlier, been tied up with my friend and other stuffles. Got my pup scheduled for 2 doc appts (tomorrow and Thurs) so I might be out of pocket for a few days. I juz hope they can wrap up what's wrong with him. Can't have another bad school year, don't think my nerves could handle it this time around.

Great chapter! Liked seeing the 3 together! :D

23. -Darksaber-

Mar 22, 2005
    Oh, Layren, that was so sweet!

24. Jedi_Tigris

Mar 7, 2005
    That was great! Loved seeing the three together. Liked Shane's thoughts about the bonds too. :)

25. Neon Star

Mar 30, 2000
    Kynstar: Its alright, we understand being busy. I hope things are well for you now, and that everything is straightened out. :) Thank you, glad you do. :)

-Darksaber-: Thank you. We try to make it as sweet as possible. :)

Jedi_Tigris: Thanks, we're happy you do. And I'm glad his thoughts worked out. :)

Note: Just another Sora'sa language lesson:
    Nihan: little brother
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Nightmares

Darkness...

Everything was being swallowed by darkness. Qui-Gon could only watch in terror as it began to spread... It spread farther... and farther. He let out a loud, terrified scream, and it was swallowed by the darkness...
    He was swallowed whole by the darkness that consumed everything in its path.

With a panicked shriek, Qui-Gon came awake. He let out another cry of terror as he realized the room he was in was dark. He had to find light! Crawling out of bed, he toddled along and pulled open the door, before stepping out into the hall. Everything was dim, even out here! He poked his head in room after room, searching for light...

Finally.... as he was almost panicked and about to give up...he found light. A dim light, but a light just the same. He hurried over to it. Crouching down near the light source, he put his hand on it. He felt a bit better. He started to cry silently, tears trailing down his cheeks.

Shane blinked blearily, having heard the faint sound of crying. Swiftly, he checked along his bond with Kyran, fearing another nightmare had set him off as it sometimes did, but only to find that Kyran was still peacefully asleep. Dragging himself over to the edge of his bunk, he looked down, and blinked, "Qui-gon?"

Qui-Gon gasped and began to cry harder. He hadn't meant to wake anyone, "I'm sorry..." he blubbered, "I just needed light."

Silently, Shane leapt down from his bed, careful not the make enough noise to wake Kyran. "It?s alright. What happened, did you have a nightmare?" Kyran always needed light after nightmares, so it was a natural assumption to Shane.

Qui-Gon whimpered once and nodded.

Crouching down, Shane laid a gentle hand on his shoulder, "Its okay, it was only a dream. Do you want to talk about it?"

Qui-Gon sniffled and tears began to fall again, ?I... everything was dark. Darkness swallowed me -- and then it swallowed everything! The whole galaxy was dark!"

Shane considered it. Despite his experience with Kyran's nightmares, and his own, he wasn't sure how to handle this. Because their nightmares were different, they were based on real memories tucked away inside. But what Qui-gon had described somehow sent a faint chill through him. "That won't happen, Qui-gon. Darkness has no real power, the light will always defeat it."

Qui-Gon gave another small whimper, "Are you sure?"

Shane rubbed his back comfortingly, "I am very sure of that."

Qui-Gon sniffed again, "How do you know? Did the Force tell you?"

Shane was tempted to say that it was more experience, but Qui-gon was too young to know that, "Yes, the Force told me that the light will always defeat the dark. Even if it looks like the dark is winning, there will always be at least candle to hold it back."

Qui-Gon felt a little better and he wiped his eyes, "I didn't mean to wake you up."

Shane smiled a little, "Its alright, I'm used to being up."

Qui-Gon looked worried, "Do you have bad dreams too?"

Shane was touched by his worry, "Sometimes, little one, but don't worry about that."

"But I want to help," he said, looking at Shane, "You helped me -- it's fair isn't it?"

"It?s alright. Helping you helps me, you could say. That makes it fair. Though thank you," Shane said sincerely.

Qui-Gon smiled a little bit and then he yawned again, "Sleepy still. Can I sleep with you?" he begged.

"Alright," Shane agreed, breaking down swiftly at the look on Qui-gon's face.

Shane helped Qui-gon up onto the top bunk, and there Qui-gon buried himself under the covers, yawning. Shane pulled himself up after him, and lay down beside him. Qui-gon looke

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.