main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Vincula Amicitiae (Book I in the Days Like These series)~~ Thank you for the award!~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrightFeather

BrightFeather Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 13, 2005
    More, please, Master?

2. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    You know, Ja' when Shane finds you I have a feeling he's going to kick the stuffing out of you. And I'm going to be quite happy to see it! You're so afraid of looking weak you'll hurt a boy that deserves the love & caring of his Jedi Master, not the abuse and darkness you're exposing him to. *shakes finger sternly at Ja'*

Wonderful update, can't wait for the next! :)

3. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    I'm not sure what to make of Ja'. One minute, I think he's nice, and the next he's being evil. You're kind of confusing me here.[face_hypnotized]

Kyran! [face_laugh] A nice bit of humor in an otherwise solemn update.

Happy (slightly belated) New Year! :)

4. Neon Star

Neon Star Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2000
    Jedi_Tigris: Glad you love those parts. :D In his way, yes, Ja' is. And we hope so too, but you are right about Ja'. Happy New Years to you too, despite the lateness. :)

BrightFeather: Layren says yes, so I guess I'll have to agree. ;) Here's more. :)

Shadowolf: I wouldn't be so sure of Shane's reaction, as he's not so sure of his own feelings yet. ;) But yes, Ja' shouldn't be doing such things to poor Ky. Thank you. :)

Fluff-Slayer: Ja' is very confusing, even we can't make him out sometimes. ;) And yes, Kyran had to put some humor into the situation. Thanks. :D Happy belated New Years to you as well. :)

Thank you all for your comments, and your noms. We were both so flattered for that, and are very humbled that you would think our little series worthy. :D Oh, and any suggestions on excerpts would be welcomed. :)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

About a week later Drex was starting to be seriously worried. Shane still hadn't come back. He was frustrated that Zephir had let him go. Qui-Gon was not doing well at all. He barely ate, he barely slept. Most of the time he sat by the balcony window as if keeping watch for Shane, holding the necklace and his picture tightly.

Drex's features softened watching Qui-Gon's flimsiplast flutter to the floor and the child nodded off in his chair. He quietly went over, picked up the picture and looked at it. His throat tightened. In childish handwriting Qui-gon had written, "Happy Birthday Ky," on it and had drawn a picture of himself, Kyran and Shane. Drex tucked the paper in his pocket and gently picked up the boy, carrying him to the couch, where he carefully laid him down and covered him with a blanket.

Zephir stepped in, face drawn and light bags around his eyes. Smiling a little at the scene before him, he waited till Drex was finished, before motioning towards the balcony, then he made his way to it, and stepped out.

Drex put the piece of flimsi back in Qui-Gon's hand before carefully heading out to follow.

Zephir stood at the railing, eyes watching the horizon, though not really seeing it. He started speaking as soon as he heard the door close, "Heard anything?"

Drex shook his head, "Nothing," he sighed heavily.

Zephir nodded, "Its been six weeks..."

"I know how long it's been!" Drex snapped. Then he sighed again. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you -- I'm just really frustrated with how I'm not finding *anything*."

"Its alright. Shane is much the same way..." Zephir said softly. His apprentice had been making sure to keep the bond on their end open, and at times, his thoughts trickled back to Zephir.

Drex rubbed his arm some and then cracked his knuckles, "It's just -- I feel like we're close and then at the same time I feel like I'm never going to see him again. I've made a horrible mistake and I'm never going to get to right it," he said softly. He looked away. "My fault. This is all my fault."

"Not all of it. Though, I admit, a lot of it is," Zephir looked at him, "You'll find him, and you'll fix this."

"How do you know?" he asked coldly, "It's been six weeks and I don't even have any leads, by the Force!"

"But that is the thing. I trust the Force that this will work out, just as I trust that bond between those three," Zephir's gaze wandered to where Qui-gon was sleeping, "The Force wouldn't have made such a thing, if it would do something like this."

"Would it not? The Force gives us some hard lessons at times," Drex said.

"Yes it does," Zephir turned back to the horizon, one hand twisting the silver band on his finger, "But I think this time, it will not be cruel."

Drex sighed, "I hope so. I'm not as optimistic. I've seen it happen time after time."

"I shouldn't be optimistic either. After all, the Force stole away a part of myself after all," another twist to the band, "But I still trust it. Perhaps because of that."

"Let's go in," Drex rubbed his arms unconsciously. "It's getting cold." he hated to think of Kyran out there in the cold of the streets.

"Alright," Zephir stepped

5. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    So sad. :(

Now that's tough love. Ouch. True, though.

The bit with Qui-Gon's thumb was very...I hesitate to use the word 'sad' again, for the fiftieth time. Poignant, then.

Yes. That's right.

Great update, guys!

6. BrightFeather

Nov 13, 2005
    Nicely done, Master and 'Star. :) *puts on a really fake brit accent and holds out hands* Please sir, may I have some more?

Bright

7. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Aww, that is sad. :( Poor Qui believing that the other two parts of his bonds are gone. I'm glad Shane is back though, and Qui and he are comforting each other. :) Poor Kyran has been out so long! Ja'tharnen hasn't been doing anything to Kyran other than putting him to work, has he?

Congrats on the nominations! Excerpts...I'm not sure what categories they're for, but I remember really liking the first times Kyran and Shane met, and when they snuck out and found Qui.

8. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Fluff-Slayer Yes, Zephir truly does love Drex and wants him to do what's best for himself and for Ky. Thumb sucking at that age is actually quite normal, although as a Jedi I'm sure they're taught not to very early on as it's displaying an emotion and they don't have any. Thanks for reading!

BrightFeather More? Okay paddy you can have some ;)

Jedi_Tigris Yes, Qui is having a rough time of it while both his bondmates are gone , but at least Sha did come back and didn't leave his nihan alone for very long :) Thank you for the suggestions, they were perfect!

Everyone, this post has been edited to fit the violence level of a pg board. If you'd like the non edited version, let us know and we'll pm it to you :)

You think you can just get away with doing this, brat? You're trash, Ja', you always have been, always will be,' another kick to his stomach, before the foot nudged him onto his back.

Looking up in terror, the now young Sora'sa looked up with terrified eyes as his brother sneered down at him. He had made him angry again, just like he always did...

'First you kill our parents, then you bring that little tramp in here and waste your time trying to save him, now you're planning to take over the group? You disgusting wretch! I won't let that happen,' another jarring kick.

Something snapped that time...

Jer'en knelt, face flushed in rage as he slapped him again, "I'm going to kill you tonight, Ja'. I'm sick of this mess. I'll kill you, then the tramp.'

He was sobbing by this point. Pain was roaring from everywhere in him, and pure, horrid fear. Not for himself though, he had been expecting this for a long time. 'I wasn't... Brother, please," he could barely speak between his gasping, and the fact he had worn his throat screaming a few hours ago.

'I know what you are going to say, you demon spawn. But it won't work. You will die, as will that one. Its only fair, you saved his life, so you'll die together," those great claws rose, glinting nearly like crystal in the half light of the small hovel of their home, before sweeping down. There was more pain. Then a blur with glinting blue eyes, then blood....

Ja'thernen was trembling when he awoke that morning, and to his disgust, he found that he had been crying.

Kyran had awoken sometime earlier that morning, the sun having finally warmed his chills. He was staring in puzzlement as Ja'thernen's whole body quivered while he slept. Was Ja'thernen *crying?* It seemed almost absurd to even imagine. Ja'thernen was strong, and never cried, even when he'd been slashed by a knife when he had rescued him. He quickly looked away, hoping Ja'thernen hadn't caught him looking.

Sitting up, Ja'thernen angrily swiped away the tears. Jer'en still made him weak, even after being dead for so long. The only one that could, and it enraged him that he still had the power to do so. Standing, he looked over the camp, noting that most of his men weren't up yet, and none had caught his minor slip. Or so he hoped. He couldn't show a weak face to them, they would certainly try to take advantage of it. Turning, he strolled over to Kyran, and with rougher then needed force, he pulled the chain off.

Kyran looked at Ja'thernen worriedly as the chain was pulled off. It was on his tongue to ask if he was alright, but he bit it back. It was obvious he was not, and Ja'thernen wouldn't appreciate a comment about it if he wasn't.

"Get up, and get me something to eat," Ja'thernen snapped down to him, "It's time you get back to your duties anyways."

Kyran frowned. Ja'thernen hadn't been harsh with him in sometime. He resolved to not test his temper too much then and he scampered off, doing as he was told -- for once.

Ja'thernen watched him go, before going over to kick the first of his men awake. They were moving today, he decided. Bad dreams stated bad omens, and he certainly didn't want something to happen just yet. When it was time, he would sacrifice this whole camp to the death god and leave the boy for Me'

9. BrightFeather

Nov 13, 2005
    More, Master? Pleeeeese? *snatches l'il Ky from the greasy git and glares at him* Branding a 13-year-old baby. How dare he!

10. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    :mad:

Yeah, okay, Ja'. Bad dreams and traumatizing past experiences suck, but that doesn't mean you hafta...hafta...

Yuuuuucckkkkk.

I dunno about you guys, but I think now would be a really good time for somebody to come to the rescue!

11. Shadowolf

Shadowolf Jedi Master star 2

May 4, 2005
    NO!!! Ja' didn't do what I think he just did...did he? Poor Ky, Shane and Drex have to get him out of there soon, they just have to!

More soon? Excellent writing!

12. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    BrightFeather Greasy git? :p Ja'thernen really isn't *that* bad ;) Okay maybe he is now but just wait till you see who you meet later down the road [face_devil] Kyran really isn't a baby either. He's been a Jedi in training for 13 years -- that's a long time and it has taken Ja'thernen this long to really be able to successfully control him. Thanks for reading dear!

Fluff-Slayer Rescue ? Now why should we do that? :p

Shadowolf That depends, dear padawan on what you think he did to him :p I have the unedited version if your curiosity is not satisfied ;)

Before voting has started! Just a reminder, not to forget to vote! For more information click Here .

Drex was breathless as he ran. His informant had told him exactly where Ja'thernen was. It was the break he had been waiting for -- now he had only one mission. Find Kyran and bring him home. That was his only focus, his only goal.

"Step no further, Jedi," Ja'thernen's voice echoed off the alley's walls. His own spies about the area had gotten information on the man before him, on exactly who and what he was searching for. This was now the eighth week, and Ja'thernen wasn't finished yet.

Drex froze in his tracks, wondering who had spoken. He saw no one...the area was dark. It was night so as to give him and his enemy cover. He waited, hand on his weapon, poised to ignite it.

Ja'thernen stepped into dimly lighted area of the roof that he was standing on, smirking as he looked down upon Drex with his far sharper eyesight, "I'm not giving him to you yet, Jedi.. So you might as well go home and wait. Me' will tell you when I am ready."

Drex growled and ignited his saber, "Like the Sith I'm going home without him."'

"Do you really wish to try that?" Ja'thernen mocked, crossing his arms lightly.

"Do I look like I'm afraid of you?" Drex countered.

"Of course not, nor should you be. After all, to you I am probably nothing more then a child and a street thief. Just like you are nothing to me except a pampered warrior fed with too much self sacrifice."

Drex's anger surged, "Make your point," he said coolly, "Kyran is my apprentice and I intend to bring him home, whether you like it or not."

"Oh really? And here the boy told me the Jedi have cast him out," Ja'thernen stated.

Drex's face flushed with embarrassment, "Well they didn't -- and I'm not going to argue Jedi policy with the likes of you."

"Oh? Well, then we shall get to business. Go home, or I'll bring you a corpse."

Drex's hands clenched into fists, "Let me see him first."

"He has been... unwell this past week," Ja'thernen's eyes darkened, almost as if in guilt.

Drex's eyes narrowed in anger, "What do you mean unwell? Let me see him!"

"I cannot, and will not. Leave, human," Ja'thernen snapped.

Drex gritted his teeth. He couldn't leave. Not when Kyran was so close. He had to see him -- he couldn't leave without him. He needed him.

"My men are waiting, watching for my signal. They will kill him if you do not go," Ja'thernen threatened, noticing his hesitation.

Drex knew that he couldn't win this battle yet. Not here on Ja'thernen's territory without any backup. Very slowly he lowered his blade and shut it off. "I'll be back for him," he said warningly.

"We won't be here, and your contact is dead," Ja'thernen said simply in return.

Drex flinched at that. Slowly he clipped his saber back to his belt and without a word walked the other way. It was the hardest walk he'd ever made in his life to have to walk away, knowing an innocent -- his padawan -- was in danger.

He headed home straight for Zephir's apartment and palmed open the door, nearly breaking it in his frustration. He couldn't bear to meet Qui-Gon's hopeful face and Shane's expectant eyes. They knew why he had left. He said he was going to bring their friend back to them. He had failed.

"He refused," Shane stated softly, as he caught the enraged, and yet pained look on Dr

13. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Oooh! How have I missed this for so long?! Very intriguing story. How will it be resolved? Kyran, don't give up--don't!

14. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    Ooh. I loved that scene. Creepy, and well-executed. Looks like Ja' has been keeping an eye on all of the cards on this crazy table. 8-}

And here I thought the rescuer had come.

Sigh.

Well...no matter. Doggedly, persistently, I insist that Kyran will be saved. After all, we've seen him in his adulthood, and as a Jedi no less, so...

*Blinkblink*

The poor kid. Great job, guys!

15. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    I can't believe Ky just called Ja 'Master'. :_| But I suppose it was inevitable. Poor one, so broken both in body and spirit. Poor Qui. Poor Sha.

More please? Soooooooooon?????

16. Jedi_Tigris

Jedi_Tigris Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Wow, their lives on Saren really are brutal. :( Poor Ja' having gone through that, with his brother no less. Still, I would have hoped he'd learn to control himself. Poor Ky, what's Ja' doing now? I hope it isn't what I thought. [face_worried]

Oh man, for Drex to get so close, then have to leave. :_| And Qui and Shane, so hopeful and then the crushing disappointment. I hope Ja' will let Kyran go soon, especially now that Ky has been broken, given up. He just doesn't know that others are looking for him. :(

Wonderful job as always!

17. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ara-gon How will it end? We can't give that away yet, can we? :D

Fluff-Slayer Not quite rescue time -- but almost!

Princess_A Nice to see you back! Of course he did -- he didn't feel he had a choice. He's been gone for eight weeks now, that's a long time, and he's had no indication anyone was looking for him -- thanks for coming out of hiding!

Jedi_Tigris As you saw from the Pm, yes it was what you thought, unfortunately. And yes, Saren is a truly brutal world and that's the only life Ja'thernen knows.

Ja'thernen stared into the flames of the newly built fire. His men were off on the other side of the camp, so he basically was alone. Except for the boy, who was waiting in his new sleep spot, down cast and trembling. Ja'thernen wasn't looking at him now, but that was how he had been the last time he had glanced at him.

Kyran sniffed even as he tried to get warm, by pulling his knees up to his chest. It was a much colder night than anything they'd had since he'd been there so far and he was freezing.

Sighing a little, Ja'thernen figured that now he would turn the tables. Breaking him was over, he had not reason to be cruel now. The last part of his plan was in motion, he had only to act.

'Come here, Sala'ne'," he ordered, still not looking over to him.

Shivering, with every move he made, Kyran slowly got up and came over, wondering what Ja'thernen wanted this time. He was so cold. What he wouldn't give for a bed and blanket at the Temple. Pushing the thought away angrily, he knew it wasn't going to happen anyway, so what was the point of wishing?

When he drew close, Ja'thernen glanced at him, "Sit. You're not sleeping over there tonight."

Kyran looked confused, "But that's where I always sleep."

"I don't need you getting sick. Now sit down," his gaze turned away again.

Kyran sat, still looking confused. Ja'thernen had never invited him to sit before. What was going on? Had he gone insane again since this afternoon?

Ja'thernen reached to his other side, and picked up his plate. One of the newer men had mistakenly added fruits and such to it, and had cooked the meat. Ja'thernen had found his own appetite had greatly reduced since seeing the breaking point in the kid, and the mistake had killed it. Handing it over, he practically shoved it into Kyran's lap, "Eat. You need better food if you're going to keep your strength up.?

Kyran looked astonished. He hadn't had a plate full of food since he came and he didn't refuse. He hungrily began to eat and blinked in surprise when it didn't taste like shoe leather.

"When you're done, you can take my sleeping place tonight. I don't plan to be there, so someone might as well enjoy it," Ja'thernen stated, tossing a small scrape of wood into the fire.

Kyran stared at him in shock. This was overwhelming. Why was Ja'thernen giving him his bed? He hadn't slept a lot of nights, but he had never given him his bed before. "Why?" he asked, knowing Ja'thernen would know what he meant.

The slight smile that came to Ja'thernen's lips was almost self hating, "Because I take care of my possessions, and you've finally given in to being just that."

Kyran flinched at that, knowing he had, but it still ate at him. He didn't speak, but scampered over to Ja'thernen's bed before he changed his mind. Laying his head on the soft pillow, he curled up with the blanket. His heart ached -- it smelled like Shane....tears misted his eyes and his shoulders began to shake. Burying his face in the pillow, he rolled over to go to sleep.

Ja'thernen watched him, before rising, and setting off out of camp. The game was over. It was time to let it be known.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Please, Qui-gon, for my sake," Shane said tiredly, almost begging his youngest bondmate to eat something, anything at this point.

Inwardly, he was mildly irked at how much he sounded like his disheartened Master, who had pulled much the same tactics on himself not too long ago. Shane hadn't given in, but then, Shane was used to taking little to n

18. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    [face_dancing] HOORAY! He's going to be rescued!!! [face_dancing]

Lovely bit, this. Poor everyone.

But Kyran's coming back!

So they can be happy and un-angsty and--

Wait-a-minute.

What exactly did Ja' mean by the stuff that Shane would "want to hear about"? o_O What more can be done to these children?

*Sulks, consenting to wait until the next post to find out*

Evil cliffy, by the way. That's not nice!

19. Aya-Na_Bashu

Aya-Na_Bashu Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2005
    I think I'll just sit right here by Qui-Gon and snort about evil cliffies.

Please PM me when you update. Thanks.

20. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I finally caught up. I really liked Shane and Ky's interactions early on. I wonder what Ja has to say to Shane that could be anything but manipulative. I wonder, too, if Kyran would want to go back since he thinks they are just going to send him off to the Agricorps anyway - from one form of slavery to another.

Good job. Please PM me when you update.

21. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Ja' may give him back, but I'm not sure that he's through making his point. [face_worried]

A PM when you update would be muchly appreciated.

22. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Fluff-Slayer True to our word here is the Thursday post ;) It wasn't an evil cliffe! You should wait till we get further down the road :p

Aya-Na_Bashu LOL Poor Qui he could use the company ;) Only one not old enough to go on the rescue mission.

Dianethx Hey lady, glad to see you got caught up! Drat those pesky excerpts eh? ;) As for what Ja'thernen has to say -- well.. here it is.. and you're quite right -- Kyran might not want to be a Jedi anymore after all he's gone through. And you've been added to the list!

Ara-gon We'll just have to see if he is or not [face_devil] One never can tell with Ja'thernen...

Here's the new post everyone! We'll be posting twice a week starting now on, on Mondays and Thursdays hopefully as those days seem to work good for us for now. Here's a nice long post to make up for the cliffe.

Ja'thernen returned to camp, and looked around at the sleeping group of his men. Nodding to the night watchers, he approached Kyran. The vaguest smile came to his lips as he stopped to look at the boy, curled loosely, close to the now dead fire. That smile turned a little wistful, and he knelt, withdrawing a small key from his tunic. Gently, so as not to wake the boy, he unlocked the collar from Kyran's neck, and lightly pulled it away. Then he just sat back, and watched.

Something startled Kyran from his sleep. Wondering what it was, he realized his throat was itching. He put a hand up to scratch under the collar.....only to find there was no collar. Startled, Kyran sat bolt upright.

Ja'thernen kept watching, though amusement tugged at the corner of his lips, "How does it feel?"

Kyran was wary -- wondering why he took the collar off. "Like... I'm whole again. Why did you do that?"

"Need I a reason?" Ja'thernen asked, before he switched to his own language, 'Call it goodbye, if nothing more then that.'

Kyran's eyes grew large. "Master?" He said worriedly. He understood what Ja'thernen was saying -- Shane had taught him his native tongue when they were younger and he spoke it almost as well as his own.

'You've proven your worth. You're not the demon I thought you were, and now I find I was actually testing you. I trust you to guard him now that I cannot,' Ja'thernen continued in his own tongue, knowing full well that Kyran wouldn't be able to understand most of it. Reaching out, he lightly tousled Kyran's hair almost playfully, "Good luck, kid," he finished in basic, "You're finally free to do what you want to."

"But..." Kyran trailed off uncertain as to what to say, "But I have nowhere else to go," he pleaded,"they haven't been looking for me."

Ja'thernen said nothing to that, merely rose, and started to walk towards the edges of the camp.

"Master wait!" Kyran ran after him and grabbed him. "You can't leave me now!"

Ja'thernen glanced back at him, "You want to stay with a killer like myself?" he asked softly, "No matter how cruel I've been to you? No matter that I have broken you?"

Kyran stared at him. "Broken me?" He looked confused.

Another sad look came to Ja'thernen's eyes. The boy didn't even realize that he had been different at one point. But the elder knew that fire had only been suppressed, and it only needed a reminder to burn again. "Stay. I no longer want you with me," he bit out coldly.

A hurt look crossed Kyran's face, "But...you have to!"

"Why? You are worthless to me. All you've done is cause trouble for me. I don't need useless weight," Ja'thernen snapped. It wasn't all true, but he had no intention of keeping the boy. Tempting as the thought was, this one was not his. Even though he was marked as such, inside, he meant nothing. Just as Ja'thernen wanted now. He couldn't afford to give his heart over to others now.

A tear slowly traced down Kyran's cheek. "Then I guess I don't belong anywhere."

Here Ja'thernen's face softened a little, and he gently pried Kyran's grip off, "I wouldn't say that. There is only one place you belong. And it's not with me."

Kyran scowled, " I don't bel

23. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    Interesting (new) motive on Ja's part. Still, mind games are nasty, nasty business, no matter their purpose. [face_shame_on_you]

I'm thinking that Kyran's mark could make an interesting plot point in the future. [face_thinking] Yeah, I know. You're not gonna tell me.

Thanks for the PM!

24. Fluff-Slayer

Jun 12, 2005
    That was tense. :eek: The unanswered questions, they're--THEY'RE BREEDING! AHHHHHHH!!!!

*Becomes buried in a pile of questions*

Insane, huh? This whole marking-someone-as-property thing is kind of freaking me out. What an odd culture they must've had. Hopefully we'll get an explanation...

But Kyran's home now!

And no one was killed or maimed!

Finally, a chapter that ends on a happy note. :)

25. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Poor Kyran. He's really confused about what people want from him and what he wants. I can certainly see that he'd want to run away from the Jedi. He doesn't want to go to the Agricorps and it's really a subtle form of slavery if they press it on him. Poor kid.

Like that Me and Shane had a talk. They needed to settle things between them.

Good job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.