main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Vincula Amicitiae (Book I in the Days Like These series)~~ Thank you for the award!~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Layren, May 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Kyran's seems a bit mixed up about things and the way they really are... :( He isn't the only one suffering, Shane is too by association. [face_worried] And if they're both not careful to get this rift between them mended, [face_praying] they may just drag Qui-Gon down with them.

I look forward to the next update! :)

2. Ara-gon

Ara-gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    I'm wondering if you're going to show us Ja' redemption. I hope you do. If you do, I could see the ripples having interesting effects in the future.

Nasty nightmare. It needs to be exposed to the light before it begins to fester.

I do hope that the master/padawan relationships improve. But I think Drex will have to lead the way on that change.

3. obi-isa

obi-isa Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 25, 2005
    Awww poor Ky, Shane's very worried about you Ky... Qui is soo sweet! I love him! keep it up!! I like Ja' we need to find out what happens to him i'm just dying to find out!!!! More soon please!

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Hey gang, will do replies for next post. Got a new job so posting schedule is changing to randomly once a week for now. Since things are going to be more random from now on, let us know if you want to receive PM's and we'll update our list accordingly.

Zephir scrubbed at the pot he had been using for dinner that night, while shooting a distasteful look towards Drex every once in a while. While he would have been more then willing to just shove it in the sonic washer, the younger Master had always insisted that the dishes be washed by hand before going in. Zephir had eventually given into him over time, only when he compromised that Drex stay out of his kitchen. Force knew the other couldn't cook anything with taste. "I hope you appreciate what I do for you, Rixar. First your supposed 'modifications'. Then changing my cleaning habits. Force help us if you decide upon something else," he grumbled good-naturedly.

Drex laughed. "It builds character, Zephir," he teased. "That's what I was told anyway."

"I think it destroys the hands, personally," Zephir glanced at his water-shriveled hands in faint dismay, before going about his task, "And I know your Master wasn't this demonic."

Drex grinned. "You're right, I learned that after I became a knight and my sonic dishwasher broke."

Zephir rolled his eyes, "Well, ours is anything but."

"But it might!" Drex said smirking, walking over to assist his friend with the dishes. "Here, I won't make you do them all alone, since your poor hands are all shriveled up like an old woman's, " he teased.

Zephir couldn't help but fling a spray of water at him, "Force knows why I put up with you, Rixar. One more comment like that, and you'll be doing the cooking for a while. My apprentice and I will just fend for ourselves in the dining hall."

Drex pretended to look offended. "I might burn down the apartment. You wouldn't want that would you? And here I am offering to help. Boy the love around here," he said, looking injured.

Zephir smirked, "It would be efficient payback for the woman comment. Better then what I did to you the last time you dared to say such things."

Drex merely rolled his eyes. "I was referring to your hands, not your face, this time," he sobered a little as Kyran came in for tea. The tension in the small apartment rose another level as Kyran didn't greet either Master, but merely stalked back out with his mug. Drex sighed deeply. "Something is wrong between the two of them," he said, knowing Zephir would know which two he was talking about.

Zephir nodded, eyes darkening as he watched the boy disappear back into his room. He had noticed it steadily growing over the last few days, to the point that he rarely saw either of them, and oddly, his apprentice wouldn't talk to him about it. Shane didn't keep many things from him these days... "I know. Has Kyran said anything?"

Drex shook his head. "No. He hasn't spoken much over the last few days. He won't even speak to Shane. Something big is wrong. They've never argued over anything petty like we have."

"No. In fact, I've never seen them argue before... The nature of the bond prevents that kind of misunderstanding," Zephir sighed, drying his hands absently with a towel, "I don't think either of them has been sleeping well either. This is something more then a regular argument... But I have no idea what it could be about."

"Kyran has been up for the last several nights, " Drex admitted. "He's not doing well in his katas, at least not lately. It's like he's taken a step back," he said with a sigh. "I keep hoping he'll come to me with his problems, but, he won't. He hasn't yet."

"He won't, Drex. He's been too dependent upon Shane for so long. You'll have to make the first move if you want him to talk to you," Zephir frowned a little, worriedly, "This might be the best time, I hate to say. Because his normal source of comfort seems to be what is causing him pain..."

Drex nodded unhappily. "I guess I will have to. This can't go on like this. Something has to give at some point. I don't

5. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I liked that the Masters finally stepped in and talked with Kyran. He needed to understand the different cultures and how they perceive things. It will help him later as a Knight as well.
    At least Kyran and Shane understand now that they might be able to redeem Ja but not enough to save him from death. Plus they might also be hurt if he was not able to come back into the light.

Good job.

6. Princess_Arulmozhi

Princess_Arulmozhi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    Well, they finally had it out, at last. Good work. A wound can heal properly when it's stopped festering. And Ky and Shane will definitely need each other more than anything else. Poor Ja. Liked how the why of Shane's non-interference was explained. But it's something that would bother Kyran.

"Then why do we teach not to love?" Kyran asked.

Zephir was silent for a long time, and when he finally answered, it was soft, "Because we have not faced such darkness in so long, we have forgotten ourselves and that we are mortal."

Lol. Like Kyran's questions. But I'm afraid I don't agree with the part about Jedi not teaching to love. It's attachment that they're against, not love. There's a fine difference, I think. Compassion is love, after all. One can love anything - but the greatest victory of love is when you know you can let go of it. I do think this was what the Jedi were aiming at- letting go- and not to bar love completely. But it's your universe. :D

Nice work. =D=

7. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Uppies! Me want more!

Please? :D

8. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    I'm so glad to see the masters taking a more active role. The trio may have their bond, but they still need the benefit of the masters' training and experience.

Ah, healing! And on a few different levels, too.

Very nice post.

9. bek

bek Jedi Master star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Loved the interaction between Drex and Kyran. [face_love] The way they related to one another was warm and inviting and yet a little tense and unsure on Drex's part as if he isn't sure how to bring up the situation. Kyran seems to really need this form of interaction from Drex. The way he trusted his mentor and opened up to him shows that he thinks a lot of him and would like a closer relationship.

They both seem to have a lot to learn about one another. And I hope Kyran takes Zephir's word of advice about not giving up on Drex too soon. As soon as they're both more comfortable around one another perhaps they'll be able to open up and talk more freely and confide in each other. :)

Another update soon?! [face_praying]

10. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Dianethx The masters are finally behaving like Masters :D Redemption and salvation isn't necessarily the same and Kyran is unfortunately learning that fact. Thanks :)

Princess We actually talked about that awhile. Your reply made us think. We have a vignette coming up later where the boys discuss love and what it means for them and the Order to hopefully answer it better :) And thanks for the up ;) Here's you some more!

Ara-gon The masters are there for a reason, that is true. There will be more healing later :D Thanks for reading!

bekDrex and Kyran are healing. I don't think they ever truly get over it, but they do get a lot better than they are now. Drex cares for Kyran deeply, but he's afraid to let him in. He doesn't want to be hurt that badly ever again. Kyran desperately wants to be close to Drex, but it's a matter of Drex getting past his own shadows to see if he can overcome the past. He won't give up. He'll keep on after it ;) Here's your update! Sorry for the wait!

Blackness, death, it surrounded him, was in him, stifling him, and his own light. A darkness not his own, pouring into him from somewhere that once had only given warmth and life. He closed himself deeper within, blocking those connected to him elsewise, to save them from this flood. This was wrong, yet some part of him expected it. And the other side? Where this had all come from? Was waiting now, patiently, cold and lost in the darkness. Waiting...

Shane bolted up right, sweat trickling off him, sliding down his back and chest. The darkness was still there, still inside, coming from the bond that had been sealed for so many months now. Something had broken that seal, and he could feel the problem. Ja'thernen had lost himself.

Tossing the covers off, he got out of bed, reaching for his robe. They hadn't been able to find Ja'thernen in the last two months before this. The other had seemed to disappear, and this was the first he had felt of him in a long time. A sick sense of dread welled up in him. Ja'thernen could become a threat again, if he had indeed lost his inward fight... Tomorrow, he would have to approach Zephir, and find out the best solution. Tonight, he would have to reconcile it within himself.

Sighing, he moved out of his room, careful not to make noise as he moved to the kitchen, and set about brewing his own drink. Not tea, Force knew he didn't understand his human companions on that.

Kyran heard his friend moving despite his attempts to be quiet. He was having trouble sleeping anyway. Something was wrong, dreadfully wrong and he wasn't sure what it was. He headed into the kitchenette to find his bondmate making a drink. "Sha?" he said softly.

Shane looked up, in vague surprise, while his mind banished his dark thoughts for the moment, "Hey, Ky. What are you doing up?"

Kyran shrugged, wrapping his robe around him. "Same old thing. Couldn't sleep."

Shane nodded, and gestured at the seats by the counter, "Want me to make some tea?"

Kyran gave him a playful smirk. "You mean you weren't making any yourself?" he teased.

Shane looked mockingly offended, "Force no, that's for you and Qui, I only choke it down when needed," he teased, then shrugged, "I was making a blood mix, it's rare when I have it, but I needed it tonight."

Kyran frowned at that. "What's wrong, Sha? Something is. I feel it."

Shane sighed a little, looking back to the dark red concoction he was brewing, "I'm just worried about Ja'."

Kyran bit his lip. "You felt him? Is he alright?" he went over to the stove and put a tea kettle on.

"Yes, he finally put down the barriers, but I don't think he is," Shane admitted truthfully for once.

Kyran was thoughtful as he sat back down, "Maybe we should check on him."

"I doubt we could find him now, we couldn't then," even with the darkness, he still couldn't pin point where Ja'thernen was.

"I found him the first time," Kyran pointed out, leaving out the unspoken notion that they had failed to do so since then.

"Because he want

11. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Wow where did everybody go? The post wasn't that bad was it?

12. Princess_Arulmozhi

Nov 16, 2004
    Lol, I'm here. Sorry I didn't comment. I'm doing so, now. :D

Poor Sha. And I find myself more in sympathy with Ja, than ever. I liked the way you described Ja's growing darkness through Sha - the slightly sick feeling he gets. It's always horrible to wait, although his Master's advice is good, I doubt it would sit well.

Also loved how Zephir addressed Sha. [face_love]

At last, they're going to do something. But what???? I'm curious. Update please! :D

13. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    No, no. Not a bad post--just a busy reader.

Oooooo. I don't like it. Ja's not strong enough to shield right now. So where is he using his energy? In controlling his actions? If so, that won't last.

It was nice to see Zephir as a master. I like him; he seems very wise.

14. obi-isa

Apr 25, 2005
    wow sheesh, somehow i managed to miss TWO posts!! I can't believe it!

wow, everything's coming to a climax now. I hope they save Ja' i like him, i always liked the way you wrote him. so I hope they can save him.

PS. If you stopped PMing me continue now please! I do want to keep reading this story!

15. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Princess_A Well we both love Ja'thernen too, even though he started out evil, he's not really so bad ;) As for what they're going to do.. well just wait and see :D

Ara-gorn I understand busy, that's for sure!

obi-isa Oh sorry about that, we didn't know you wanted to be added and you have been added to our list :) This isn't the climax though ;) We have a looong way yet to go before that.

Sorry it's been so long guys. We have no real excuse. I've only been working one day a week, but nevertheless here tis the post. I'm afraid it may be a bit longer before our normal posting schedule resumes. I'm scheduled for some surgery at the end of the month, but we're still here!

Zephir scanned the buildings they passed, as the speeder zoomed along. They had started out at dawn, the earliest they could go, after he had left a note for Drex, who had left earlier still for his morning meditations, a rare thing, but his old friend usually did so when he had fitful nights, or after long missions, like the one he had returned from not too long ago. They all knew Qui-gon would be alright, while they were gone. Zephir had entrusted a friend who lived down the hall from them to come and watch over the still sleeping child while they went out.

Shane was sitting silently beside him, face faintly twisted in pain, as he had left himself open to the bond within, as well as to all its darkness. He had to, if Kyran was going to be able to track it. But Zephir knew it was hurting him, especially with the knowledge that such an old and dear friend was losing the battle within. If they were too late to try and save his soul... The Master touched the handle of the lightwhip on his belt. He would make it swift, for the sake of that suffering child, as well as for his own Padawan.

"Are we getting closer, Kyran?" he asked, as he gently lay a hand on Shane's shoulder, giving light to him, and comfort. He couldn't feel the darkness close yet, but that meant nothing, considering he hadn't even felt Ja'thernen upon their first real meeting only a year ago in his Padawan's room in the healers. The boy had impressive shields, a defense against a world that had hated those like him...

Kyran was searching for Ja'thernen desperately along Shane's sense. "Yes," he replied urgently. "He's only a few blocks from here."

Suddenly, something sparked in Shane's eyes, "Something is wrong, The darkness just increased, but it's strange... Ky, can this thing go any faster?"

Kyran bit his lip and looked at Zephir. "I don't know. We could try to make it faster," he suggested.

Zephir nodded his approval for Kyran to do so, his own attention diverted to the sudden flare of darkness he was picking up. This felt nothing like what he would have assumed Ja'thernen to feel like if he lost himself. This was far too strong, even for a normal Jedi...

Kyran did as instructed and poured more speed into the speeder by pushing the throttle and using the Force.

They swiftly got to the spot. As Kyran stopped the speeder, it was easy to now sense the overwhelming feel of darkness in the area, Leaping from the vessel, just a step behind his apprentice, Zephir began to smell the strong scent of blood in the alleyway they entered, before he saw it, puddled thick nearby. But there was no body...

"Ja'?" Kyran called worriedly seeing the blood and he began walking along a trail formed by it, his stomach twisting wondering if they were too late already.

Zephir followed him, trusting his superior tracking skills, but keeping close to both of them. There was a threat in the air, and it wasn't from the boy they sought. The darkness was almost savage in its controlled state around them, and growing thicker as they followed the trail. His hand reached to his belt, withdrawing his light whip, as he saw from the corner of his eye that Shane mirrored him by drawing his lightsaber, but not turning his own. it on.

They drew closer to the source of the darkness, just as they caught sight of a black cloaked figure, face hidden by its hood.

16. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    :eek:

Thicker, and deeper, and muddier the waters become.

I loved the explanation for the trio--to lighten their load during dark and difficult days.

Much more to come, eh? I can't say that I'm sorry to hear that. :)

I hope all goes well with your surgery and that your recovery is painless and pleasant.

17. obi-isa

Apr 25, 2005
    Yup, I also hope your surgery goes well and you come back soon! Interesting post, i'm glad to see yoda's on their side. I hope Ja's ok though, i like Ja' lol.:)

18. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    That was pretty awful that the Sith now want Ja' and that the triad might be in danger. The Sith would likely see through the darkside and understand that they are important. But Ja' still has something to do....

Good job. Keep the PMs coming. And good luck with the surgery.

19. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ara-gon Yep there is much more left! And after this post the waters become even thicker ;)
    The surgery has been delayed some, which is bad for me but good for you guys :p

Obi-isa Yep, Yoda is on their side and Ja'thernen needs all the help he can get :)

Diane Yep, the Sith will do whatever it takes to get their hands on those who are close to the triad ;) Thanks for the luck, we're making progress with the insurance company. Hopefully it won't be much longer now.

Everyone This is almost the end of this particular book in our series :) Just one more post left to go before the new thread. We are going to register a sock to post a new thread so that both of us can update the title bar. Please let us know if you want to remain on the PM list for the sequel.

It was slow, waking. It was as if he had gotten too little sleep, and didn't wish to open his eyes. or had slept far too long. Forcing himself to push back against the tiredness, he opened his eyes a little, to find himself in a room bathed in light and white. Groaning a little, he shut his eyes again tightly, overwhelmed, exhausted beyond his limits, and confused. He had blacked out in a dark, dirty alley after cutting himself, but obviously he was no longer there. And the darkness was not either. He felt empty, from the lack of it weighing his soul down.

Kyran was sitting by Ja'thernen's bedside, waiting anxiously for him to awaken. "It's alright, Ja'," he said soothingly. "How do you feel?"

Ja'thernen jerked at the sound of that voice. He hadn't realized there was anyone there, but upon opening his eyes again, he noted not only Sala'ne' at his beside, but Me'telnen was near the window. Another groan wanted to escape him, but he swallowed it, and glared instead, "What the sith am I doing here?"

Kyran stared at the other and his eyes narrowed into a glare. "We came to find you."

"Why?" Ja'thernen snapped with as much strength as he could, tugging a little at the restraints that held him down to the bed, "Just so you could chain me up like an animal?"

"To save you from yourself, " Kyran said, stung at the accusation, "And your soul from the Dark One."

Eyes narrowing, he tugged a little at the restraints again, "Dark One? What Dark One? You had no right to stop me. Neither of you, especially you," he aimed the last at Me'telnen, who still stood near the window, not looking at him yet.

Kyran averted his eyes. "The entire Temple is talking about it. Master Yoda says the one who tried to get you to hurt yourself was a Sith."

"A Sith?" Ja'thernen's voice was disbelieving, "I thought you Jedi said they no longer existed. And no one can make me do anything. I chose to commit antu."

"That's what we all thought," Kyran admitted, ignoring the rest of what he said for the moment.

"It doesn't surprise me that you were wrong. You've been wrong about many things," Ja'thernen half sneered, "Suppose I believe that. What would a Sith want with me?"

Kyran half shrugged, "That's what we haven't figured out yet."

"That's certainly comforting," Ja'thernen drawled, "And just how long do you plan to keep me prisoner? Or is my next place to be in the Coruscant jail awaiting trial?"

Kyran looked at Shane for help, /Ke'en, you're not helping./

Shane's eyes turned from the window briefly, to him, and a torn look flashed in his eyes briefly before he approached. Moving beside Kyran, he leaned in, fingers touching the restraint holding Ja'thernen's left arm down, then the bandages there, "Do you really want to leave, Ja'? We're not going to cage you. If you want, I'll free you right now."

Kyran waited with baited breath for Ja'thernen's answer. He hoped that Ja'thernen didn't really want to leave. He hoped for him to stay.

Staring up at Me'telnen, Ja'thernen studied those almost hard blue eyes gazing down at him, making him feel as if he were being judged by the very god he served, "You know I'll just try to do it again."

"Yes," Shane agreed, "And I won't stop you the next time."

Kyran stared

20. Ara-gon

Dec 31, 2005
    [face_laugh] Not anymore. That can be a very useful attitude.

:confused: Hmm. Now why would the Sith try to make it look like Ja' committed suicide?

Do I want PMs? Oh, yes, please.

21. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Hummm, so the Sith want Ja to die. I wonder if it's to taint Qui-Gon's relationship with his bondmates or if there is some other purpose.

Good job. Loved the dynamics of the trio. Poor Kyran, to want his Master to accept him so much and he thinks it will never be.

Looking forward to more.

22. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Okay I got through the first three parts of the story. It is really good. The charecters are great, I can't wait to see where it goes from there.

23. obi-isa

Apr 25, 2005
    *sniff* that was so tender. I loved the way the characterization
    worked especially in this piece. Keep it up!!

24. Fluff-Slayer

Fluff-Slayer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 12, 2005
    I'VE CAUGHT UP! AHAHAAHHAHAHAHA!

Yes. <3

It's raining and storming outside. Good mood for reading this, incidentally! I loved the realness of the dialogue, and especially Zephir's and Drex's role in things--we don't get to hear from them too often.

Yay, Kyran and Shane!

Happy stuff!

It ends on a nice note, not an omg-is-someone-going-to-die one!

[:D] Lovely job, ladies!

25. Layren

Oct 28, 2003
    Ara-gon You'll just have to wait and see to find out :D You're on the list, thanks for sticking with us!

Dianethx Ky will have issues with that throughout his apprenticeship, I'm afraid. As for Ja'thernen and the Sith, well, all will be revealed eventually :)

CodyMonKenobi Welcome aboard! Glad you enjoyed the story!

obi-isa Thanks so much! We were very pleased with how it turned out :)

Fluff-Slayer Rain and storms are always good for reading :D Zephir and Drex will play a bigger role in Book II as we are getting the hang of this Master thing ;) We can end on a happy note once in awhile ;) Glad you caught up!

Well everyone, it's been a long journey and this particular segment is at a close :D This is the very last post of this book :) Thanks so much to all of you who have been along for the ride and made it worthwhile for us :) We appreciate every one of you dearly :) [:D]Sorry it took so long to get this post out. My collaborator, Neon, had a horrible work schedule the last two weeks that made it nearly impossible for her to get this out. We already avhe 120 pages written of the sequel so we'll be able to resume a twice week posting schedule. The sequel will be up tomorrow afternoon :) And now on to the post!

Kyran was very quiet later that evening. The scar on his back that he had damaged with the stone was hurting like sith. It was enough to make him want to go to the Healers and ask them to permanently remove it. But if Ja'thernen really cared. .. and really wanted the mark to remain... he wouldn't. He could get a bacta patch for it and have it be as good as new. He looked down, torn in his uncertainty wondering what to do about it.

Shane found him in the gardens sometime later, having gone back to the apartment to start fixing dinner, since his Master had been out most of the day. Coming beside him, he sat down, and glanced at him slightly worriedly, "What's wrong, ke'en?"

He bit his lip. "My scar hurts," he admitted. "I damaged it pretty badly, ke'en."

Shane nodded a little, "I know. We should get back and clean it up. A bacta patch should help, so we won't have to go to the healers, though, I guess you got what you wanted. It'll heal up and cover a lot of that scar."

Kyran looked down at his hands. "But I ruined it. It doesn't even look the same now. I haven't told Ja'thernen. Does it really mean anything to him, ke'en?"

"It means a lot to him, Ky, no matter his words. Ja' takes the pact rituals rather strictly. But he would understand your desire to get rid of it," Shane assured softly.

Kyran let out a long, slow sigh. He repeated to his bondmate the conversation he had had with Ja'thernen when he had gone back to the Healers later that afternoon. "We're bonded now, ke'en," he confessed. "I would hate to disappoint him by ruining something that actually meant a lot to him."

Shane didn't act surprised at the news. He had almost expected it to happen, with his bond with Ja'thernen. it would be only be natural for Kyran to form his own bond with the other in time. "You wouldn't disappoint him by that. But if you wish, he could repair it, or..." he hesitated a bit there, "I could."

Kyran tilted his head a little. "You could? How? It's not your mark. Wouldn't it be an insult to him?"

"No, I'm sure he would approve. He made that mark half mine anyways," Shane confessed.

A surprised look crossed Kyran's face. "Half yours?" he echoed. "I don't understand."

"When Ja'thernen carved the symbol of ownership in the middle of the triangle, he used a mix of my family mark, and his." Shane didn't confess that it had not been his father's name there, but his true family name, his mother's name. Old instincts left such things to memory.

Kyran's face flushed a little and one hand went to the mark at his back as it throbbed again. It came away bloody. It was still bleeding some. He hadn't yet tended it, uncertain of what to do with it, but now it appeared that he had even insulted his ke'en with the attempt at removi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.