main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Vino Appreciation and Recommendation Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ezio Skywalker, Jul 7, 2014.

1. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    how do i get into this business

jp-30 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I tasted a wine tonight that might convince me to switch from Pinot Noir to Merlot:

Trader Joe's ViƱas Chilenas Merlot.

I've tried the Cabernet and the Chardonnay in the same line but the Merlot tops both.

3. Darth Side of the Moon

Darth Side of the Moon Jedi Master star 1

Jun 14, 1999
    I picked up this wine the other day on my way to a party. The sommelier at walmart said it was a very good year. Did I overpay at $36 USD?

[​IMG]

harpua, Sith-Lord-Gunray and jp-30 like this.
  4. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Were you chilled when you served it?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Darth Side of the Moon

Darth Side of the Moon Jedi Master star 1

Jun 14, 1999
    You know me, jp. I'm always chill.

Tabula Rasa likes this.
  6. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Man, why haven't I noticed this thread before? The first 6 years of my employment were in the wine trade, I loved going to the International Wine & Spirits Fair in London and trying all the different bits and pieces.

Has anyone tried the A A Badenhorst wines? > http://aabadenhorst.com/our-wines/

I've been out of the loop for a while but Adi is an awesome winemaker who used to make wines for Rustenberg in Stellenbosch, South Africa. I haven't had the chance to try his 'own' stuff yet...

jp-30 likes this.
  7. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    That was my favourite thing about Tastings, the freebies were immense.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I don't know whether I'm more jealous of you or jp.

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Ha, I used to work with Adi, he did a vintage in New Zealand at a winery where I was a cellarhand. I didn't know he now had his own winery, thanks for the heads up.

10. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I left the trade in 2007 and I think he was still at Rustenberg then, any Peter Barlow or John X Merriman from prior vintages will be pretty damn good about now if you can find it.

I know of him because his uncle was a local doc who, iirc, was my boss' GP.

jp-30 likes this.
  11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Cool, I'll keep my eye out.

12. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I am in the process of mulling some wine right now. Smells yummy!

13. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Sorry, hadn't posted here in a while. I've been scrambling all over with cross-training at work and taking care of family, so that hasn't left much time for wine. But I'm trying to make up for that now that my birthday is approaching :p

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'd begun taking wine knowledge classes (basically, some introductory classes before the full-blown Sommelier program). I've spent the past several months studying and learning popular wines (Malbec, Pinot Noir, Cabernet, Chardonnay, etc). Just recently I've moved on to Italian wine classes, which brings us to this beauty:

[​IMG]

A Super Tuscan from the Antinori Estates in Italy. It's a blend of Sangiovese and Cabernet, with a touch of Merlot just to soften it up. Pretty affordable as far as decent Italian wines go, as you can find a bottle in stores for around $20. So far, I've found only few Italian wines that I'd consider to be "easy drinking" wines (though I know that there are many, especially with regards to Super Tuscans), and this approaches that category. It's a good, strong wine that I'd highly recommend with a meaty dish, but is soft enough to drink casually.

For only $20, it's a steal, imo.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  15. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Have been told by hospital that I can have a "glass or two" of wine now that my mouth has been lesion free for two years (in April)

Wondering what my first glass should be though? After a two year lay-off it needs to be something special? [face_party]

Darth Punk likes this.
  16. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    What kind of wines do you typically enjoy?

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    barolo

G-FETT likes this.
  18. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    Personally, I'd take issue with #6. Yes, aged wines and reserve wines (longer aged wines) have a lot of nuance and complexity. But there are also wines that the winemaker intends to be consumed young. Young wines can still be great, and these days some winemakers are making it easy to identify a wine meant to be consumed young by bottling them with a twist off cap in place of a traditional cork (this also prevents air from bleeding into a bottle that shouldn't touch oxygen until it's ready to drink).

19. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    With regards to #7, like you mentioned, New World wines are quite enjoyable and, imo (and yours evidently) are not inferior to their Old World counterparts. Plus, France, self-described king of Old World wines, has many (if not indeed all?) vineyards in which the vines are grafted with American vines (to make them resistant to phylloxera infestation).

California has been known to surpass France in competition as well, so I'd say that the myth of Old World being greater than New World is busted.

#10 is very true. My first job was in a restaurant while I was a freshman in college. Management was always very involved with wine and encouraging wine knowledge to the staff. At the time, I didn't care for wine at all. I thought all reds tasted sour and vile. I never realized how intricate the entire thing was, even how fragile or inconsistent a specific wine by the same winemaker could be from vintage to vintage.

By the time I had finished my learning on popular New World wines a few months ago, I thought that I could apply that knowledge to most wines.

Now that I've moved on to studying Italian wines by region, I discovered that just wasn't so. Learning Italian wines has been hard. There are so many more regulations and classifications and wine politics that we don't see here in the States. Trying to acquire the same level of knowledge about Italian wines has definitely been more challenging than learning, say, American wines. Heck, even pronouncing a good Italian wine is harder to do. :p

20. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    If you go this route, I'd recommend the Vietti Castiglione Barolo. It's made exclusively with Italy's Nebbiolo grape (often held in high regards) It's a soft-silky, flavorful and aromatic wine. I think you might be able to find a bottle for around $30 in stores, depending on the vintage. It really shouldn't burn a hole in your wallet, and it is quite delicious.

If you do try this for your first wine, I'd suggest decanting (or at least leaving the bottle open prior to consuming). It's one of those wines that really need a touch of oxidization.

G-FETT and Darth Punk like this.
  21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    that, and it's mrs.punk's favourite

22. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013
    You've had that one before? Awesome. What price did you find it for?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I almost never pay attention to wine age, and as far as cost, three-buck Chuck, Barefoot, and box wines are all pretty terrible but there are plenty of good wines for under $10.

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  24. Ezio Skywalker

Jan 29, 2013

You can definitely taste a difference between a 7 Deadly Zins Zinfandel for about $10 and a Frog's Leap Zinfandel for about $20-30, for example. But that doesn't mean that the 7 is terrible (though the Frog's Leap does offer more in regards to flavors).

25. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001

Anything really to be honest... 8-}

No, generally a nice White wine. Find red's tends to give me migraine attacks, interestingly...