main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Vintage auction

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by red-dwarf, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    I watched eBay with amazement last night.
    Up for auction was a vintage Kenner plastic x-wing, still in box. FACTORY SEALED...NEVER OPENED. box was about a c8.

I was gonna go mybe $200 bucks on it.

It had had about 200 viewings.

MINT price for this, maybe 400.
    It just so happened last night that 2 people wanted this really bad.

It finally went for US$885.

Now, convert to Canadian, you are now paying about C$930.
    Add on shipping, insurance and tracking ( you are not gonna send this normal post).

You have just seen this item basically go for close to $1000.

Wow!

I love vintage...in packaging...But one thing I don't understand is collecting an item in a box so you can't see the toy. Each to there own. Having said that, I have an Indiana Jones Truck in unopened box from the first movie.....I want to open it....but can't bring myself to do it. I bought it with the intention of opening it. It has been in my basement for 4 months. Still unopened.

Vinny
    Vinny

2. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    That's pretty crazy for that piece as I've seem them go for as low as $150.00. But the collectors that bid on this I think didn't know or have the proper collecting knowledge on this item. Remember when it comes to vintage always do your research as there are many great sites that can help you.

As the debate on opening vintage toys I say if they are factory sealed NEVER open them as that just elminates another sealed example of the item. If you want the figure/toy bad enough most vintage loose can be a fraction of the cost and very easy to obtain.

But those are my thoughts :).

3. red-dwarf

red-dwarf Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 22, 2009
    Hey Dooks, missedf you at the concert. I met some of the guys outside after the first show, must have just missed you.
    I made a mistake, it's not the Indy truck I have sealed, it's the Map Room Playset. I still haven't opened it. In fact, I just got the Truck MIB, opened but complete and never assembled as well as my last missing figure (Sallah) to complete the collection.
    I suppose, like a lot of collectors, I always define an area I will collect, say for eg series 1 of set of figures, ar 'just the first set of toys from a particular film, but then you just can't stop expanding it. Whenever I am tempted by a vintage piece that would be 'alone' I just know I'm in trouble.
    But...I need something to put in that last gap in that Rubbermaid container, right?
    Vinny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.