Vintage Kenner figures - What year did Kenner stop making them?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Kurtmajister, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
  1. Kurtmajister Jedi Youngling

star 2
    I've been collecting the vintage range of figures since around 1985. I'm just about old enough to remember the tri logo figures being in several local shops when I was about 5 - 6.

In the UK at least, I recall the figures still being available to buy in shops in Manchester as late as early 1988 but after that they just disappeared from sale. Now the shops I was getting the figures from up to 1988 were cheap, independent £1 (or thereabout) shops if I recall, so the figures may have actually been older, unsold reduced-to-clear stock perhaps.

Now, I know the final new batch of 17 figures came out in 1985 but did Kenner still continue to produce any of the 77 - 85 range of figures beyond 1985? If so, does anyone know when production on the range finally stopped?

2. Juke Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I'm almost positive that production ended the same year as the first "POTF" line. I think what you saw was likely overstock bought up by smaller shops.

I know here in the States that well into the late 80's you could find carded "ROTJ" figures at local comic shops, that had been "Red tag specials" from larger toy stores, fairly cheap.

3. Grand Admiral Strife RSA Emeritus

star 5
    1985 is considered 'the end' as no new figures were produced for the movie line after that; however, Kenner still sold product for some time, and outlets like Kay Bee Toy and Hobby had massive discounts (I got the Imperial Shuttle for $10!) and interesting product, like SW figure 2- and 3-packs, sans weapons; Jabba's dungeon (which was a re-issue of the 1979 Droid Factory) that was issued in two versions, each had 3 figures packed in but different figures in each one. I think I got mine in 87 or 88.
  4. DantheJedi Jedi Master

star 5
    1985-86 sounds about right, because I remember getting things like two-packs of Power of the Force figures attached to a C-3P0 carrying case, the Tatooine Skiff, and a couple of the ROTJ mini-rigs at marked-down prices at KB toys around that time.
  5. Koohii Jedi Master

star 5
    StarWars figures ended, and GIJoe figures arrived. Both about the same time.
Moderators: CrazyMike, LAJ_FETT
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.