main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Violence and video games

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by sons_of_anakin_tatooine, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    It's a very thin line we walk in this conversation. I agree and can rationalize the arguments relating Monopoly or other games to the same type of result (timmoishere brilliant post above)...

As a parent of two small children, I can identify with this statement, HOWEVER I would say not "shielding you child from violence" doesn't mean that my 4 year old gets the newest Halo or Gears of War for Christmas. There has to be some temperance on viewing of violence that is depicted in our media (tv, movies, games, etc) and how parents actually frame it within the family setting. Eventually, my kiddos will want to play some of those games, and we'll have some frank discussions on how FANTASY is different than REAL LIFE.... The onus is on ME as a PARENT to manage my children's development on morality and ethical behaviour, and how to appropriately deal with anger, loss, etc.... Let's not dilute ourselves though, this has been going on for generations, it's only that our media technology has advanced to the point where the visualizations are more real than ever... Didn't anyone play cops & robbers, or cowboys & indians? We didn't all turn out to be criminals...

2. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I respect and agree what you say here, but the topic is how video games and their violence are causing people to think that its affecting the world in a bad way.

Also,
    Told ya you'd like the senate floor.

3. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    This is the original post and it's correct in satirically pointing out that people are blaming video games more than looking at themselves as parents, etc for kids' development these days.

No doubt that there is a huge increase in the availability to view/here/experience violence whether talking about television, movies, video gaming, even advertising. Almost as if society is glamorizing violence as a way to right the wrongs, get back at those who have crossed you, and/or gain power. My point above is that it is my job as a parent to restrict/eliminate these sources of violence with my children until they have the capacity to understand the context in which they are displayed. Also it's my job to help them fully understand when/if they view this violence on how to interpret it - so that they do not end up as the individuals in the incident that started this thread.

4. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    It takes one to know one, right, Wall Street?

timmoishere likes this.