main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIP members posting to inactive forums

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Mace Windy, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    I just returned to the JC a day or two ago after taking a long break following my managerial resignation. To my surprise, when I viewed my "favorite board" list, I noticed that the Non-Spoiler Forum, though inactive, was still receiving replies. My first thought was that something went awry with the process of making the forum active. Once I entered the forum, I then noticed that it was only VIP members who were permitted to post to the forum. To my surprise, several VIP members were holding there own private conversation in this archieved forum.

Does the administration have a policy on posting to archived forums? I would assume that the purpose of archiving a forum would be to keep the forum intact and unaltered for future readers. If no clear policy exists, then I would like to make a plea to the administration to disallow VIP members from posting to archived forums. As former manager of the 3NS forum, and a member of the Non-Spoiler Community here on the JC for over six years, it saddens me to see that my former stomping grounds are now being what I can only describe as desecrated.

There are dozens upon dozens of 3NS members who are saddened to see their community go. Most of them wanted more time together, and would have done anything to keep the forum active and thriving. I am sure that they are angered to see VIP members, some of which who were not 3NS members, posting to their community when they cannot.

Here is the thread in question: I declare myself Lord of the 3NS!

The purpose of this thread here today was not to call out any of the VIP members who have been posting to the inactive Non-Spoiler forum. I cannot fault anybody for trying to have a bit of fun. I do, however, believe that this type of fun is inappropriate, and disrespectful to the 3NS forum and its former community. I ask the administration to please come up with a definitive statement and stance regarding not only this incident, but also regarding VIP members posting to inactive forums in general.

Thank you, and I hope that this doesn't make me a bitter ex-mod. :) ;)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    revenge of the wind!

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I can easily delete that thread for you Windy. :)

And I agree that archived inactive forums should not be posted in by VIPs. Seems like another action that separates mods from regular users.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I think calling it desecration is going a bit too far. However, I think it should be stopped. It was okay when it was just a few posts, but now the thread in question has gone on for 28 posts (with no apparent end in sight).

Fun time's over, and it's time to move on.

I can easily delete that thread for you Windy

I suggest leaving it alone, so that others can see what's being referred to.

4. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    The :) indicates it was a joke, KW.

5. Agent_SkywalKer

Agent_SkywalKer Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 28, 2005
    I'm sorry. :(

I didn't mean it and didn't know that I shouldn't do it. :)

6. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    It's pretty obvious that goes against the intentions of an "Inactive" forum.

7. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    My apologies about that. It took me a few days before I realized that only VIPs could post in there. As I saw a mod and some ex-mods in there, I assumed it was okay. My apologies again.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    All my fault. I'd no idea that inactive forums could still be posted in, and posted that in excitement before realising everyone else would be free to see it as well.

A couple people PMd me about it and I apologised to them beforehand. Thankfully they found the concept of Skeletor taking over 3NS a bit funny and told me not to worry.

Still, apologies for any offense caused.

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Wow, I never even thought of this. Excellent discovery, Windy.

10. -Lord-Vader-

-Lord-Vader- Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 15, 2003
    It seems kind of like a private forum just with public view now.

11. Agent_SkywalKer

Apr 28, 2005
    I still feel bad. :(

12. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    It's alright, kid. If the mods held grudges over it, they would've banned you by now. :p

13. Agent_SkywalKer

Apr 28, 2005
    [face_worried]

phew!

EDIT: my apoligies once again. :)

14. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    Yeah I PMed Damon and was pulling his leg about it and as a 3NSer I'm not too offended by it, I just think when Damon said it was over it needed to end then.

15. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    [face_blush] I'm sorry, since I saw other people in there, I figured it was ok. I didn't mean to cause any trouble. [face_worried]

16. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    While there is no way you can prevent anyone from posting a forum at all with the IGNBoards software, all "inactive" forums should be set so that the maximum number of posts that a person can make in the forum is 1, effectively preventing anyone who hasn't already posted in the forum from posting more than a single post before being blocked.

Obviously this hasn't been done.

17. -Lord-Vader-

Jan 15, 2003
    ^ dingo made a good suggestion.

18. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    Hail Dingo!

It is a good idea - I'm not cool with posting in inactive forums.

19. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    "All my fault."

WOW! Damons been BUSTED! [face_laugh]

20. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I move that all those who participated be stripped of their current 'vip' status and be permanently banned immediately.

[image=http://www.idontfear.com/jc/commodusbanthem.jpg]

21. Agent_SkywalKer

Apr 28, 2005
  22. -Lord-Vader-

Jan 15, 2003
    ^ Gabe made a good point also.

23. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yeah but it's the second time I've seen him use it in the last few days. I give this particular usage a 5 for lack of creativity. :p

edit - I take that back. This one says "Them" instead of "Him." Back up to 8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.