main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIP's for birthday threads.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jul 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    wow, what are the chances that the name I pulled out of thin air ended up being an actual user?

Life man. Life is weird.

2. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

While I worked the 'Offical Birthday Thread' in Fanfic Resource for a couple years, it was instiagated because of what that forum was meant for and it was fine.

The JCC is basically the social forum, we talked about anything and everything, I don't think espcially with the dwindling user base, a thread that will only sink in a matter for 48 hours or so should be that big of a beal.

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I am going to be inveterately against any sort of official birthday thread maker, whether it be a VIP or a mod. It is not necessary. Friends can make threads for their friends. We already have enough issues with users monopolizing birthday threads as it is.

However, I have no problem resurrecting the old calendar and keeping people's birthdays. However, the html issue is completely moot. We don't need a sock manager because the HTML code for creating tables has been deprecated and no longer works on JC posts.

So it would have to be a simple markup list...

January
    stuff

February
    stuff

etc.

4. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    er..like I said, thats already been done

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I have to ask, are birthday threads really that much of an issue? :confused:

6. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Some of us, VaderLVR64..., some of us that is all we have to look forward to all year.

7. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Just asking. :p

EDIT: And I wasn't referring to actually HAVING birthday threads, just whether HOW they would be done is really an issue that needs solving.

8. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.......................good, good. :p :D

9. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Kim.

You and I both know the answer to this question.

I forgot to say earlier that whoever said we have too many VIPs as it is, is right on. This would be bordering on ridiculous.

10. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes. It's pretty simple, really. The birthday list should be checked daily by the mods. If one of the people on the list does not get a birthday thread posted by 12pm, the mod(s) should PM someone close to them as a reminder or just make the thread themselves.

I (and Rhonda) checked that list every morning. If the person was an active member in the JCC, they generally got a thread. If they didn't, I double checked to make sure they were "active" (posted within the last three months) and then would make a thread myself if they hadn't gotten a thread made. It's part of the JCC mods' job to make sure that this part of the 'community building' is done.

edit - Also, I do think it's 'that much of an issue' in that it's community building, as I said. Yes, you could just let the threads get made if people have friends to do it and those that don't get left out, but that's sort of a cop-out. It's a way to let the JCC as a whole know that the mods don't just edit and ban. That they care enough about people to make a thread and wish them a happy birthday.

Not to belabor the "in my day" schtick, but I never just slapped up a thread. If it was someone I didn't really know, I took the time to go through their profile and find out what they liked so I could include images and references that they'd enjoy. That's all part of getting to know your userbase and create goodwill. It ain't brain surgery.

11. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Good luck keeping a JCC mod for more than a few days...considering the high turn-over. ;)

12. Natasi

Natasi Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2008

Reason #41 Why I Love the Boards: Hypocrisy and the inability to distinguish sarcasm.

Edit: In the OP, as Flare mentions.

13. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    pretty sure the op is a joke/dare/something

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    STOP THROWING YOUR EGOS AROUND in here

15. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    No no, I have a better idea: how about VIP status for a day for every Birthday person?

16. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Like a pinata?

17. lexu

lexu Force Ghost star 6

May 28, 2002
    What is your point.

Also #12 Why I Love the Boards: Embarrassing levels of defensiveness building into unnecessary and off-putting levels of offensiveness. But definitely #41, too.

18. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Or VIP status and a pinata

Get to work on that, MS. Chop chop.

19. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Pinatas that burst into "unnecessary and off-putting levels of offensiveness"

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Because those threads have a very impersonal "form letter" feel. I'd rather my birthday thread be started by a close friend, you know?

21. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I was going to point to this. Back before Kate went off and decided Josh needed a brother, birthday threads happened, one way or another. Since she left, well, I've had two birthdays come and go without a thread. Well,except the one I started myself on my 40th.

Admittedly, I trend to protect my privacy to a large degree, and have acquaintances here, rather than friends, so there's no one who would know when my birthday is were it not for Kate's list. All in all, getting birthday wishes from strangers shouldn't be a big deal one way or the other, but I have to admit, it's nice to get them, and a bit of a bummer when there's no thread.

In conclusion, basically, we need to tell Josh and his brother that they need to start fending for themselves so we can appoint Kate JCC Queen for Life. :p

22. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Resurrecting old b-days to add on... lame.

23. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Why not make it so that someone needs permission from the birthday boy or girl to start a birthday thread? Then the one celebrating their birthday can have their thread started by someone they like, AND they can only give permission to one person. That way only one thread is started, you don't need a VIP or mod to do so, and a friend is the one to do the honors.

EDIT: Sorry for using the words birthday boy or girl. That comes from being around too many kids for too many years. But you get the idea. :p

24. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    if this thread hits 100 posts i will kill myself.

25. Tommy_Docherty

Tommy_Docherty Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 17, 2009
    Will dying laughing be your preferred method of death?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.