[VIPs] New Clarification On VIPs and Posting

Discussion in 'Literature' started by dp4m, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling

star 4
    The thing is we're supposedly dealing with a "mature professional" here, Nick.
  2. AdmiralNick22 Fleet Admiral of Literature

Manager
    star 6
    Wettengel, I don't condone any insults that Ms. Traviss has shot out. In fact, I can understand how some fans are offended by her remarks.

Its just that the video and its accompanying quote that I saw in a link over on TOS was so disturbing to me. It's like she shot a spitwad at someone and they responded with a flaming bag of feces.

--Adm. Nick
  3. Grand Admiral Wettengel Jedi Youngling

star 4
    As someone diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, I found her comments highly insulting. And then to be lumped in with Hamas and Islamic Jihad suicide bombers? They're just words on a screen lady! How she can carry so much anger--I don't get it. Save that kind of venom for people you actually encounter face-to-face.

For instance, it was around New Year's and I went to do some banking. The bank teller was rather rude to me because the ATM ate my check, and, naturally, I was concerned about whether or not the check was recoverable from the innerds of the ATM. She essentially insinuated that I'm not competent enough to be able to feed a check into an ATM. I asked her how old she was. She responded with 24. Two years younger than me. I concluded my business by telling her that there should have been one more abortion performed back in 1982 and then wished her a happy New Year and departed to her tears and whimpering.

EDIT: And I suspect that the check ran into problems because it was in my Father's shirt pocket all day--one of the problem's of having a Father who is a mail-man. Why he couldn't have just let Gary deliver it, I don't know.

Here's hoping she'll learn not to lob spit-balls anymore, or snow-balls.

Personal attack and threat. See you in a week.
  4. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
  5. 000 Jedi Master

star 4
  6. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    A. She's not slagging "the entire fan-base". She's slagging a small group of fans who won't stop slagging her.

B.Those "death threats" aren't serious, unless you really think she's going to climb in your window at night and kill you. She's blowing off steam in, IMHO, an inappropriate way. But that still doesn't mean that when I say, "God, I could kill that jerk!" you'd better call the cops.

C.
    You just lost any right to complain.
  7. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Based on the egotism and arrogance of "intellectuals" in other book sites, Literature and other subforums should be commended for its easy going nature and cordial feel. I would not be here otherwise, and I have seen otherwise. =D=
  8. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    Does anyone want to read what was said in context or is it just more fun this way?
  9. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    It's far more fun this way. I weep for the day when everyone grows up and things are discussed in a civil manner.
  10. MasterControlProgram Jedi Youngling

star 2
    Sorry, but Daniel-K's point has been derailed completely. The author in question was NOT personally attacked here, during her stay here. The author in question was NOT "driven" from these boards by personal attacks. There's absolutely zero proof of this, or those screaming "denial" would have posted it by now, hmmm?

What DID happen was the author in question left because arguments about clone numbers couldn't be won by said author. Said author then deliberately wrote a short in SW Insider to specifically anger those said author couldn't win a debate with. This is not allegation, this is fact which can be backed up by several quotes.

An author deliberately undermining continuity for the sole purpose of using their position as an EU author to win an argument underhandedly, deserves to be mocked. We just won't do it here.

An author deliberately goading people who disagree with them because said author can't engage in an argument properly without acting like a child, deserves to be mocked. We just won't do it here.

Also, people should crack open a dictionary and look up the word "parody". If you want to talk about movies that use parody to express a point, I'll be happy to talk to you about that in PM. Don't poison the well about offsite material here to derail points, please.
  11. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    There's absolutely zero proof of this, or those screaming "denial" would have posted it by now, hmmm?

That's already been addressed in this thread:

we cannot repost edited material here.-dp4m

edit: I fail markups.
  12. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Yeah, gotta agree with MCP. Offsite stuff doesn't really apply to here terribly much.
  13. MasterControlProgram Jedi Youngling

star 2
    No need to "repost edited material". Unless there's a new rule about providing links to other threads from these forums (which would affect these forums significantly) the point still stands. Provide a link, and reference what point in that link you're referring to.

But not here. Start a new thread if appropriate. This is a thread about VIPs and posting.
  14. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9

As an admin, I just have to ask why this thread wasn't continued in the Mod Squad Update in Communications like dp asked?

Why are we quoting off-site live journals and why are they still here?
  15. Thrawn McEwok Co-Author: Essential Guide to Warfare

VIP
    star 6
    [EDIT: didn't see roo's post]
  16. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I was just upping it from page 2 so more people would see the link. [face_innocent]
  17. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

I know little of the leaves frameworking the spiderweb. What's the difference between an administrator and manager to moderator?
  18. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Admins have more powers than mods.
    The heirarchy is Head Admin, Admin, Manager, Moderator. Each level has certain powers. Moderators generally progress to Managers after 3 months. However, 'moderators' can also refer to the collective group.
    The Head Admin/Admins are also the moderators in Comms.
  19. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

Wing commanders, squad commanders, flight lieutentants, I got it. But what duties do managers and admins peform above moddies?
  20. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Admins can do things like delete userids with inappropriate names - managers and mods can only ban them. Admins can also check PMs of other users if a user complains that someone is sending them inappropriate PMs. Managers and admins can change board banners (or turn them off, as we do when the image server breaks). Managers and admins can also add users to private boards, such as for a focus group. All levels can edit posts and ban users. As you go up the hierarchy you gain more pretty buttons.
  21. Excellence Jedi Grand Master

star 7

I get it now, thanks.
  22. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
  23. DarthSapient Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Since this applies to all boards, let's take this thread for what it is - a reminder to see this week's Mod Squad Update in the Communications Forum. This shouldn't be a launching pad for continued discussion of Karen Traviss and issues with clone numbers. All I wrote in the update was a reminder of existing policy - treat those VIPs with respect. If you can't, don't post it. If you do and we see it, there will be disciplinary action. They are our guests and make this saga what it is whether we like all of it or not. Any further questions you feel weren't answered by me or the other mods, then PM me personally so I can clarify for you. I will not let a few bad apples in a forum drive away those folks who contribute to the films and books.
  24. Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji

VIP
    star 4
    Please tell me you're being sarcastic and trying to make some sort of point.

If not ... well, I didn't think it was even possible for me to lose any more respect for you, but I was wrong.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.