main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIP's

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Only-One Cannoli, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    my overriding feeling regarding this is: who cares?

2. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    epic, when I look see you with your VIP status it should make me want to be all that I can be in the JCC because surely you must have done great things to get VIP status. But then I look at your posts and notice that you can't even be bothered to hold down shift in order to capitalize letters. Do you have any idea how that would negatively impact my posting if I wasn't such a great poster? Do you?

3. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I agree with epic on the issue.

4. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I'm fairly indifferent, however I think Dingo's post above makes a lot of sense. If there is ultimately going to be action on this front I would vote for his proposal.

5. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Sure, we could reduce the number of VIPs... but I really don't see a benefit to doing so.

Or, I agree with epic and Inty on this issue :p

6. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I agree with Inty, Rogue & epic on this matter.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

7. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I agree with Dingo and JTS.

8. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't post enough anymore where the oppm would tick me off. But that is pretty much the only reason I would still want to be a vip. The colors come a far 2nd. But I really don't see what the big deal is.

PS.
    Don't take away my colors >.>

9. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Strilo having a go at yet another fellow mod/admin in a public forum.:rolleyes:

I thought Grimby made a very good point.

My take on the VIP issue is that there probably is too many VIP's and the more we've got means the whole thing has been kind of devalued.

I don't really see why someone who was a mod at some point should have their name flashed up in colours and be given a VIP title. I say this as someone who turned down VIP'ship when I left MS last time (SLG it doesn't really help your arguement against VIP's if you yourself are a VIP, sorry ;) )

This is all just my personal view however. I'm suspect most users take the "epic view" of who cares.

One really good change is that at least VIP's have got a range of colours they can use, now. So much better than when we had all that red all over the forums. [face_laugh]

So my position on this is that I don't really see the point of having so many VIP's, but I'm also increasingly relaxed about it. VIP's don't really do any harm as far as I can see and it would be way down on my list of concerns at this point.

10. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I ought to make a serious post, as my VIP status hasn't been earnt through a decade of sacrifice and a further ten in a hermitage.

Dingo's post [from the MS] would make a lot of sense if you removed all that is specific to this 'issue' and replaced it all with the specifics of something that mattered - ie. it's all very sensible and well thought out... but entirely misplaced. VIP status does not need to get it's aura back.

Sure, I have VIP status for what - four months in total as a mod? I don't care about, but I'll take it since it's there (and to be honest, only because I can now have a blue username).

The forum is not what it once was. That applies to membership, attitude, style, size - everything. When you have a huge forum - as we did (and thus a loosly kept and reactionary userbase) - there is logic in keeping VIP awards to a minimum. It can help to keep the peace a little - as so many will see a VIP and get agitated that they're not one also. I would hope that we've moved beyond that, we are smaller and more settled. The majority of those who are not VIPs probably don't really care that they're not (just a feeling - a complementary one), because they've been here for so long and don't come back in the hope that one day they'll but a VIP. Back in the day a VIP was a big deal. Today it's not. We do not need to apply the strategies of yore to today - even in the 'face' of more former moderators.

In essence, move on. I think the problem people have (judging by Dingo's long post, some in the MS) is the term itself. 'Very Important Person'. Now we have the luxury of a quiet, settled and in the majority sensible, forum don't judge each award by asking yourself is this person definitively very important in relation to everyone else. So stop seeing VIP as this great honour bestowed upon users (stop taking it as srsly as it used to be necessary to take it). See it as something to brighten the place up, and feel good about those who have taken the time (some more than others - but since we only have one level of VIP we can't change that without frowning on things - a pointless approach) to help the JC. Sure, we can all 'feel good' about ex-mods without their VIP status, but how does it represent an improvement to require that of everyone?

Change the rule if you want - it won't really matter (and isn't that the key, here?). Some who had VIP status will lose it. That'll will be all. I'll keep posting as always, as I'm sure others will... but will you really feel like you've improved the JC? Or will you feel like you've done some A-star administration?

EDITS: Because I am a dedicated trooper.

11. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Also, trying to work out what SLG's next Comms thread will be might become as entertaining as predicting what beezel's will be.

12. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
  13. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Me, too. I don't think that it's a big deal.

14. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Everton's post really sum's up why I've mellowed a lot about this issue.

15. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Lol, I know. [face_blush] I like waiting less time though to post. It's kind of like - someone hands you candy for a good deed you didn't do, are you going to take it and run, or are you going to refuse it to make a point. If a change is made, I'll gladly give up the VIPship and whatnot, but giving it up to make a point won't really make a point. It will just make people think I'm dramatic.

And Everton, nice example of the point I'm trying to prove about VIPs and their behavior.

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    So you're purposely proving your own point? Well, that makes more your statements more... valid.

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    Thanks!

18. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    VIPs do not have to tread on eggshells, SLG. This has been the case for as long as I can remember. You may have 'looked up' to VIPs, but 'back in the day' if you had the impression that they were all paragons of virtue, and never made any cracks at someone else's expense, then you were just very young. Besides, my 'crack' sits atop a perfectly valid point.

EDIT:
    lol

19. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
  20. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    So what will your next Comms thread be about?

21. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003
    Can you stop derailing/baiting/trolling? I already read what you had to first had say on this and I don't have a response. Sorry.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    You're right, I never should have said a word.

23. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I've always taken a view that when mods are unhappy with each other they can say what they like (within reason) as long as its within the confines of MS. Its when it spills out on to the public forums thats when I have a problem with it.

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what you think of the actual topic? Where does Strilo stand on VIP's? :)

Hmmmm.... I'm not really understanding where your coming from on this one SLG. Its obviously something you feel strongly about as you've felt compelled to start a Comm's thread on the matter, yet you will only give up your own VIP'ship if everyone else has to? Seems kind of a strange position to me. If it was me I'd have given up VIP'ship or refused at the time it was offered (as I did) and then started a thread in Comms about everyone else. To me it does smack a little bit of trying to stir up a bit of Comms drama about something your not actually that passionate or personally involved in? Sorry if I'm missing the point.

24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    See it as something to brighten the place up, and feel good about those who have taken the time (some more than others - but since we only have one level of VIP we can't change that without frowning on things - a pointless approach) to help the JC.

I agree with that. As a personal example, the game I run in the Arena has at least 4-5 players on daily basis & has been very successful since I started (well, this version of the game, there were 2 others before mine) it in July of 2009. Is it the most important, forum altering game/event the JC has seen? No. But is it a nice little game that people enjoy playing? Yes.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

25. Only-One Cannoli

Aug 20, 2003

Well I'm not passionate about it - this is the internet and it's just a technical forum thing. I'm just saying it how it is, though. I made the thread because I've noticed it's a frequent topic of conversation on/off the boards. It just happened to be brought up off the boards again, so I figured, why not make a thread on it to discuss. I said my point of view, it's not something I'm going to throw a fit of rage over, it's just how I feel about it. Although I don't think it should be dismissed just because I'm not horribly passionate about it. It doesn't mean I don't care.

As for my bad description of why I won't give up VIPship - I can understand why someone might think I'm a hypocrite, but since I have high doubts that a change will be made in the near future, I'm not going to "suffer" for it right now. It's just not that serious of a problem. I think in the long run when this issue get worse, this discussion will have helped push things forward a little. If that makes sense. As in I intended this discussion just to be a discussion and see how others were feeling besides the the ones I already talked to, because obviously the number of VIPs will only increase and not go down. I didn't intend it as a "LOOK OUT GUYS WE NEED TO CHANGE THIS **** RIGHT NOW OR ELSE THE FORUMS WILL IMPLODE!!!" Like I said, this isn't a dire horrible problem like most subjects in Comms. Just something to think about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.