main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Viral Marketing for Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dewback, Oct 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    It's been long established that Bad Robot has mastered the art of the viral marketing (Cloverfield, Super 8, Lost). With Rebels starting it's viral marketing this week (http://www.sienarfleetsystems.com/) does anyone think we will see something similar for Episode VII? Perhaps some new take on the alternate reality game? What if the the rumored October 30th announcement is actually the role out for something like this?

jedinightwing and dolphin like this.
  2. TheStorm

TheStorm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 8, 2002
    I think so. They love to do viral marketing, and I always find it fun. TDK and Cloverfield still have some of the best viral marketing out there. I would like to see them try to top it.

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I think we're seeing the viral marketing starting with the teaser trailers. LFL released ANH and ESB in successive weeks on Wednesday. We highly suspect to see a Revenge of the Jedi teaser today which seems to lead into the Episode 7 teaser next week. That is the definition of viral marketing if you ask me.

4. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Not really. The viral marketing that has set a standard is the ones where "fake websites" that have to do with the movie pop up. And puzzles sometimes ensue or contests. Much like the whysoserious.com or ibelieveinharveydent.com sites back during the TDK days. Because you knew they were official.

Though we are hoping for something with this "trailer countdown" there is no true "officiousness" to it as of yet, more so just speculation, but not just aimless speculation I will say.

5. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    It doesn't have to be an "official website." This is even better. It took careful attention to detail in knowing that there is an emerging pattern. I think there will eventually be an official website that will tie-in but this IS part of viral marketing.

6. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998
    I thought so too, which is why I created the topic, otherwise we would have a new thread every time something comes up. Maybe we will see the launch of something on the 30th rather than a teaser or cast announcement.

Echo-07 likes this.
  7. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

Or it could be people looking too far into something and we may get nothing. I'm hopeful, but that does not mean we will get something. That's the difference. This is more guerrilla marketing then that of viral since it still just comes off of the official site.

8. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Yeah, but it's still coming from an official source -- the Official Star Wars Twitter or Facebook or whatever. So I really think you're engaging in semantics, you know, splitting hairs. The difference in what you're saying is negligible.

9. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

Not really, virals purely point out that there is 100% purpose that it is leading to something. TDK's (which were really hard and not just easy peasy took lots of effort of thousands) would pop something up, but we KNEW for a 100% fact it is leading to something. With this...it's pure speculation at this point. With some rumors behind it. I'm hopeful, but it is far from 100% like you are acting it is right now. It may be something, but I would not call it viral marketing, it's not really splitting hairs because marketing has intent, and this really is not intent. The purpose of viral marketing is to get everyone aware and talking about it. Besides some small fan site, not many sites are talking about this because they know it could very well be nothing, and there is no 100% certainity like with viral sites that it is leading to something.

10. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    I'm not saying it's 100% guaranteed. I never said that -- find my quote that I said that.

You're trying to rigidly define what viral marketing is, which is wrong. Viral marketing is any kind of marketing through the internet or other non-traditional means in order to build hype for a movie or some other thing. This is a pattern seemingly leading to something originating from an Official Star Wars web source. I'm basically saying that this is a form of marketing if it pans out. Obviously if nothing happens than it isn't, but IMO it doesn't have to conform to your definition.

11. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

Well I will disagree, I do have a masters in business/bachelors as well where we focused a lot on marketing and I've spent years in the field as well with it so I'm not just making stuff up. Marketing has intent. Viral marketing is not just any marketing though the internet, that's not true. Internet also is home to lots of "normal" marketing. But my whole point is it's not marketing right now. Saying it's marketing if we get something.. ya I can't argue with that per se. My point is this may just be a coincidence,....so therefore it may not be marketing at all. You just pointed out what I've been saying. We don't know if this is marketing or not. If we do get the "Luke announcement" trailer I will agree it was a form of marketing.....maybe viral, but I don't want to get into that semantics of that. But right now we have no idea if this is marketing, or them messing with us, or just pure coincidence. As of right now I feel around 55%-60% that we will a possible trailer. After today that can sway one way or another. If we do get the ROTJ trailer, I'd say ya we have more of a chance, and I would agree that this may be a "albeit sloppy" form of marketing.

My point is we don't know that yet. Trust me man, I'm right by you that I hope we get something, and I have my optimistic attitude with it to a point. But at the same time I will need to see if it was coincidence or not. If we get an ROTJ trailer I will say it's quite likely then. If not....well I will doubt a teaser more so. I think regardless we will get some kind of news. But remember what the LFL employee said, we are making it out to be something it is not. So again this may not be any type of marketing what so ever. So I'm on the proverbial fence right now of what will happen.

12. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    This isn't pure coincidence. That's for sure. Anything that invloves the informational presence of some form of product is marketing. You're just overthinking it.

13. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

Not really. lol. Yes everything is "marketing' for the brand of SW at large. But I'm talking direct marketing for Episode VII and more so the possible "announcement trailer".

14. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    *pfffft

Given the state of SW nerd-dom and the info-desert we've been wading through, any friggin official info at all is the only viral marketing they need :p

15. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    Exactly!

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  16. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Now that it has the ROTJ one out, I will say this is possible marketing. But still not viral in my eyes. A countdown none the less.

*crosses fingers

17. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    It's viral -- it's going to be passed on to other SW fans through links and word of mouth. And it's marketing the new movie, hence Viral Marketing.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002

...that's marketing in general lol.

19. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    So then there's really no such thing as viral marketing. LOL

20. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    The viral marketing I'm talking about is the one that everyone knows in the movie industry. They think of TDK, TDKR, MOS, Star Trek 09, Star Trek Into Darkness, Cloverfield, Super 8 etc. The ones where it is interactive, hidden, and puzzle oriented, that also creates an alternate world so to speak that the fans can interact with. They are made for the most hardcore fans, and in doing so it gets people excited. Regardless of terms, that's what most consider on the internet viral movie marketing. From whysoserious.com to areyouthe1701 (for STID). This may be the countdown we want, but it's not elaborate interactivity made for the hardcore fans with intentional puzzles to solve and unlock. Which I have a feeling we will get a viral marketing campaign from JJ because he has done it for all of his films/TV shows.

21. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998
    Right, that is what people have labeled an alternate reality game (ARG). I still have my Rocket Poppeteer certificate from the Super 8 campaign.

22. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Viral marketing won't work for Star Wars...because it's Star Wars.

23. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998
    Why do you think that? They are already doing it for Rebels and Bad Robot has literally done it for every property they have worked on since Lost, including both of the ST films so I don't really see why it wouldn't work. How is playing a Star Wars ARG on your computer different than playing any other Star Wars game on a gaming platform? It would also be a more interesting way to release information than just through press conferences, facebook, and twitter.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. Echo-07

Nov 9, 2012
    SW doesn't even need marketing. They really don't even need trailers.

25. TheStorm

Apr 8, 2002
    Well they are doing it for Rebels already. I won't deny it would be harder to do a viral marketing like TDK and Super 8 since Star Wars is very detached to our world in many ways. But I still think it could be done. Joining the New Republic Army, etc they could figure some interesting things out. Especially if they hired 42 Entertainment who did the still unbeaten TDK viral ARG. It would be a challenge but I think you could still do things with it.

Yes, 42E is still the best at that, stupid that they got rid of them for TDKR. But yes most still consider them Virals/Viral ARG's but exactly. And as I was saying above, they may be able to pull one off since JJ really likes doing them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.