main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA "Virtual" Real World Pittsburgh

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedigirl514

Jedigirl514 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 22, 2002
    sorry! school has been quite busy (tests and projets since this is the last 3 weeks in the tri-mester) any way i am here now!

2. Shewski

Shewski Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Ah, I guess we will have to finish our games later. Anyways, what's up, Producer man?

3. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    ok, here i am, in character:

whats going on? we have to play a game! it's not a baby game is it? hopefully not, i am too tired to play a game, no sleep is not fun...

4. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    Producer man, does the game have anything to do with that dead cat and a Chinese restaurant?

5. Kate_VRW

Kate_VRW Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2003
    "Dead cat???" :( :_|

6. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    I guess Dan let the cat out of the bag.. da da dump (rimshot) thank you I'll be here all week. Tip your waitress. Okay sorry moment of silliness.

So ends episode 4 and now...

Episode 5 "The Contest"

As previously mentioned on the last show, this will be a question of Men against Women

It's a Pittsburgh trivia contest. Viewers can play along at home.

To play each team must submit the answers to the following questions in order 1-10. Whichever team gets the most right or in the case of a tie gets it to me first wins. The team must select a "leader" and that person must PM me with the answers. (Viewers, special prize to the one who gets them all right as well. You have to PM me too.)

Question 1:
    Why is it in Pittsburgh history that for a time we spelled it without the "h" at the end?

Question 2:
    What well known strip district restaraunt is known for serving sandwiches with french fries and coleslaw on them?

Question 3:
    The Steel Tower is officially called what?

Question 4:
    What were the original team colors for the Penguins?

Question 5:
    How many times have the Steelers gone to the Superbowl? and out of those how many were wins?

Question 6:
    Pittsburgh is named for who? Give a brief bio please.

Question 7:
    Were there ever bridges where Point State Park now stands?

Question 8:
    What is the name of the submarine docked at the Carnegie Science Center?

Question 9:
    The 7th inning stretch was made famous here in Pittsburgh. Which President was known for "creating" it? (This is not a trick question)

Question 10:
    The North Side used to be its own incorporated city. What was its name then as a city?

Okay some VERY easy ones and some tough ones.

Which team will answer the most first. DEADLINE for answers is Thursday March 13th.

Prizes will be awarded at the next meeting (for real) to the team that wins. Allie if your team wins, I hold onto your prize until you can make it to an event or I can mail it to you, if you like.

Okay, roomates readdyyyyyy, GO!

7. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    G'day, mates!

Oy! Bein' from Oz, I don' know none of this tripe! I won't be of any use, fellas... 'Ope you know some of this stuff... I 'ate losin'!

8. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    We need to have a fella sit out, right?

9. Jedigirl514

Sep 22, 2002
    who's on what team? but I know some of the easy questions...

10. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    ::Notices that Allie is a bit confused::

Allie, your teammates are meeting at the coffee shop down the street to discuss the answers

::Allie leaves to go find them::

PERSONAL INTERVIEW
    "HAHAHA. Divide and conquer. She actually fell for it. Now we shall quicky finish the quiz and submit the answers before the girls even start to work on it.

::Fluke is seen placing the answer sheet in the submission box.::

11. DarthDahc

DarthDahc Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 4, 2002
    "uh, guys i already submit my answers, but the producer said i could do it over so.. we needs to chat."

12. Kate_VRW

Kate_VRW Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2003
    "Hey Fluke, Allie's teammake is standing right here!" Kate says, waving a hand in his face.

"Wait up, Allie. The teams are guys vs. girls. We girls will head on down to the coffee shop to work on our answers. See you guys later! Think about what you all want to do tonight." Grin and off Kate goes with Allie and Whitney.

13. Saberpilot

Saberpilot Jedi Padawan star 4

May 16, 2002
    *smiles*
    Well, I am definately at a loss here, because I know none of the answers.. *eep*
    Come on, girls- we can beat them!

14. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Stop. please put your pencils down. I said stop Allie. (j/k)

The guys have come up with all of the correct answers. I never even heard from the ladies.

Here are the answers.

Question 1:
    Why is it in Pittsburgh history that for a time we spelled it without the "h" at the end?

Pittsburgh, named by General John Forbes in honor of Sir William Pitt, has officially ended in an 'h' since its founding in 1758 with the exception of the time period from 1890-1911. In 1890, President Benjamin Harrison established the t10-man U.S. Board on Geographic Names to help restore order to the naming of cities, towns, rivers, lakes, mountains and other places throughout the U.S. At the time, some states actually had as many as five different towns with the same name which, understandably, caused confusion.
    One of the first codes established by the new Board to help restore order to U.S. place names was that the final 'h' should be dropped from the names of all cities and towns ending in 'burgh.' The proud citizens of Pittsburgh, considering their town an obvious historical exception to this ruling, refused to give in to the Board's ruling and mounted a campaign to keep the traditional spelling. Twenty years later, in 1911, the Board finally relented and restored the 'h' to Pittsburgh.

Question 2:
    What well known strip district restaraunt is known for serving sandwiches with french fries and coleslaw on them?

Primanti Brothers (They started putting the fries and slaw on at the request of truck drivers, as a matter of convience so the drivers didn't have to have a plate and could drive while eating)

Question 3:
    The Steel Tower is officially called what?

United States Steel Building (USX Tower)

Question 4:
    What were the original team colors for the Penguins? Light Blue and White

Question 5:
    How many times have the Steelers gone to the Superbowl? and out of those how many were wins? 5 with 4 of those as wins. Only San Francisco and Dallas have more wins with 5 apiece.

Question 6:
    Pittsburgh is named for who? Give a brief bio please.

WILLIAM PITT, the second son of the Earl of Chatham, was born May 28th,
    1759. His genius and ambition displayed themselves with an almost unexampled
    precocity. In 1773, he was sent to the university of Cambridge, where his
    knowledge of the classics seems to have astonished veteran critics. Pitt, at
    the age of 23, became Chancellor of the Exchequer. Pitt became First Lord of
    the Treasury and Chancellor of the Exchequer. But parliament was dead
    against him; between December 17th, 1783 and March 8th, 1784, he was beaten
    in sixteen divisions. The nation, however, was in his favor, both on account
    of his policy, and from admiration of his private character. He ruled
    absolutely over the cabinet, and was at once the favorite of the sovereign,
    of the parliament, and of the nation; and from this date, the life of Pitt
    becomes the history of England and of the world. For seventeen eventful
    years, he held his great position without a break. The year 1793 saw the
    beginning of the great war with France. In 1799, he effected a union with
    Ireland. In 1804, he returned again to the head of the treasury, which
    position he continued to hold till his death on the 23rd of January, 1806.

Question 7:
    Were there ever bridges where Point State Park now stands?

YES, THERE WERE 2 ? ONE ON EACH SIDE OF THE POINT

Question 8:
    What is the name of the submarine docked at the Carnegie Science Center?

USS Requin SS-481

Question 9:
    The 7th inning stretch was made famous here in Pittsburgh. Which President was known for "creating" it? (This is not a trick question)

PRESIDENT HOWARD TAFT VISITED PITTSBURGH IN 1910. HE WENT TO A PIRATE GAME. DURING THE 7TH INNING HE STOOD TO STRETCH. EVERYONE IN THE STANDS THOUGHT HE WAS LEAVING AND OUT OF RESPECT FOR HIM, THEY ALL STOOD ALSO.

Question 10:
    The North Side used to be its own incorporated city. What was its name then as a city? Allegheny. sometimes referred as Old Alleghe

15. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    ::the ladies sulkily return to the loft::

Sorry girls, looks like you lost our little contest. I guess the better team won! ;)

How about we make a little side bet on these contests, if they continue to happen in the future... maybe something involving massages?

16. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Producer's note: This coming from the guy who didn't even give any answers and won through the hard work and dedication of the rest of his team.....

(And now he wants a massage out of it) J/K :)

17. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Don't hate the playa, hate the game ;)

18. DarthDahc

Sep 4, 2002
    Hey I got about 6 of those right, i couldn't find the rest.

"Ok, i'm going down to the middle of the ppg palace to ice skate anyone coming?"

19. Kate_VRW

Kate_VRW Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2003
    "NOT FAIR! Sal said we had until Thursday to turn in our answers. Its still Thursday! No particular time was given as a deadline on Thursday! Just because I had a busy day and didn't manage to get to a computer until Thursday evening the girls lose!?!?!?! NOT FAIR!"

Kate sits on the couch, pouting. :(

20. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I did say whomever got all the answers right first though and the guys did just that. You had last night or were you too busy with Shewski in the hot tub? That would explain why he didn't answer the questions as well.

Perhaps we better go to the tape.

Garbled rewind sounds.......

Still rewinding.......

Ah, there it is. Proof! Kate and Shewski both were in the hot tub until 3 am no wonder neither posted.

[some portions of this video have been edited out]
    I'll leave you the viewers to guess what happened.......

21. Kate_VRW

Kate_VRW Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2003
    "Shewski?? You need to get those glasses replaced, Mr. Producer. It was Ethus and me in the hot tub. Shewski was with Whitney. And I still think you were unfair."

Kate sits on the couch, looking sad. :(

22. DarthDahc

Sep 4, 2002
    "Ha ha ha loser! WOO HOO! WHOS LOFT... GUYS LOFT, WHOS LOFT GUYS LOFT.... i SAID MARTIN! MARTIN!"

::aside::
    guys rule girls druel... and smell
    ::end::

23. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    *sidles up next to Kate on couch*
    *throws arm around her to help comfort her*

Is all right, love. Get im nixt time.

*aside*
    I'm glad me new mates were able to pull out a win without me help. As much as I fancy Kate, I'd hate to lose to a bunch of sheilas...
    *wonders what prize will be*
    *hopes he might be able to attend meeting to receive it*

*end aside*

24. Fluke_Groundrunner

Jun 1, 2001
    Just for the record, Shewski did help with some of the answers. I just compiled and sent them.

::pERSONAL INTERVIEW::
    "Looks like the girls are whining when they clearly had the time to work on the answers but were just outsmarted by our superior intellects. The instant replay showed proof of what happened, and also that Kate is going after both Mike and Dundee at the same time! Between her, Mike's handcuffs, Allies item in her bag, and *beeeeeep*'s the black mask, there is no telling what is going to happen in this nut house."

25. Shewski

Jul 12, 2002
    Ice Skating sounds fun! Count me in!

C'mon girls, just to show that I'm a good winner, I'll buy a round of Hot Cocoa for everyone down there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.