Virtual Sequel discussion

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Darth_FarDawg, Feb 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Everybody I know thinks that this Virtual Sequel stuff is CRAP.

JaJar146, calling it crap is a flame. Do it again and you'll get a ban. You don't have to like it, but don't insult it. Am I clear?

If you don't like it...take a hike!

Urban, I've warned you guys about being pissy regarding criticism. I don't want to have to do it again.
  2. Jedime Jedi Padawan

star 4
    What;d you expect from the guy. I mean c'mon - he is EVIL!
  3. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    Maybe, but I'm an evil and cruel moderator, so -- you know.
  4. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Being evil and cruel is in the moderator's job description. ;) [face_devil]

Too bad this old icon of mine didn't get uploaded...

[image=http://www.geocities.com/darthie_girl/Ultimate_evil.gif]

:D
  5. UrbanJedi Jedi Master

star 4
    Point taken, Stryphe. I was just adapting the old adage, if you don't like what you're watching, turn the channel. I'd happy to accept some criticism, if it was totally a bash against everything these folks have worked hard on.

Thanks for looking out, my friend.
  6. darthduko Jedi Youngling

I have a few questions regarding the VS.

There had been talk about the main bad guy in the VS being a character we knew from the OT. Obviously, this wasn't revealed in EFP and I was wondering if this was still a part of the story and if that character is Darth Secutos? Is his name a play on his OT name? Will this be revealed in EpVIII like Darth Vader revealing he's Luke's father in ESB?

Where is Lando in all of this? I'm guessing he's an old man like Han or is he possibly dead?

Concept art for Leia shows her still rather youthful in my opnion, but if Han is in his 80's, wouldn't she be in her 60's and rather old looking like Luke?

Are coalition troopers clones or has the entire stormtrooper army been eradicated (i don't follow the EU)?

thanks
  7. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    There had been talk about the main bad guy in the VS being a character we knew from the OT.

That was in VS version 1.0 and therefore is not valid any more. :) It was actually a character called Golemun (yes, we took only the name from there), and he was a sort of anti-Luke - grown (not cloned) from Luke's hand that he had lost on Bespin and trained in ways of the Dark Side (he was supposed to be something like a backup plan of Palpatine in case Luke didn't turn in ROTJ and he'd be forced to kill him. Of course, he didn't expect he'd die. ;)).
  8. darthduko Jedi Youngling

Thanks for the info Mars. I'm glad that concept wasn't used because it sounds very hacky. I did read the original Zahn trilogy and isn't this something that Zahn already did in The Last Command or something? I'd like to know more about the VS 1.0 if that's possible. PM me if you have the time about this. I don't want to litter this board with discussions about non-current storylines.

BTW, the name Golemun suits your new character much better and his Flash Gordon Ming-like appearance is pretty cool. The Force was with you on that decision.
  9. GenMadine Jedi Knight

star 6
    Darth duko

All the information you requested has already been posted here on these boards and on the VS site. Read all 90+ pages of this thread, and you will get you answers. They are somewhere in here. I would start by going back to page 50 and reading from there.

Madine out
  10. Jedime Jedi Padawan

star 4
    I think we have a report on the VS 1.0 on the VS site. I know we did a story on it as one of our updates, though I remeber when exactly. Check through our archives though.
  11. DarthBane77 Jedi Master

star 4
    I don't understand why calling the VS crap is flaming. It actually isn't. Flaming is made against a person, not a piece of fanfic. This is getting out of hand. If someone has an opinion about a fanfic, they should be allowed to post it.

For instance, if someone makes a fanfilm, a viewer is allowed to call it crap, so long as they provide why they think so. Its an opinion, and if no one's allowed to voice an opinion, then there's no point in discussing anything on a discussion board.

The poster, JarJar, even said that it was 'no offense' to the creators, so to warn them with a ban seems to me to be a bit too far, and well, wrong.

If they said something bad about the creators, then I would understand, but if its about a script someone wrote, and they even say "Nothing against the folks who made it", then I think its fine.

This rule needs to be reversed.

That's all from me. I'd like you to explain why you have the authority to ban someone for posting an opinion about a fanfic.

And this explaination: Its okay to say 'I don't like it' doesn't work for me, because 'crap' is just a discriptive word, and it isn't against the TOS.

This would be a good one for COMMS I think, but I'll leave it for you to justify first.

Just my opinion(If that's allowed here anymore)

-Bane
  12. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    I don't understand why calling the VS crap is flaming. It actually isn't. Flaming is made against a person, not a piece of fanfic. This is getting out of hand. If someone has an opinion about a fanfic, they should be allowed to post it.

Well, if you went to the Fanfic forum and posted a reply to some story, no matter how badly written, and said "This is crap", you'd probably get banned, or sternly warned, at the least.

Even negative opinion can be stated politely. I'd consider "crap" a rather rude word.

(this coming from a former mod and a regular Fanfic visitor)
  13. Jedime Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Exactly. If he said he didn't like it, really didn't like it or even absolutely hated it, and said it in those words, or something like them, then that would be fine. But saying it's "crap" is rude and uncalled for. I'm not big on forum use, I only post in this thread and our private one, and even I can tell you that if people can't handle themselves with the slightest bit of maturity or respect for others, then they shouldn't have the right to post.
  14. DarthBane77 Jedi Master

star 4
    Wouldn't saying "I hate it" imply that you thought it was crap? :confused:

Oh well.
  15. darthduko Jedi Youngling

If I'm understanding this conversation correctly, DarthBane77 would name Episodes 7-9:

Episode 7
    Get a Load of this Crap!

Episode 8
    The Crap Hits the Fan

Episode 9
    The Crap to End all Craps

Please bear in mind I wrote this as a joke concerning the recent discussion of the word crap and would appreciate not getting banned for making light of this. I do think that crap is a harsh term for something these people spent a lot of time on, but it's not a true obscenity and shouldn't be treated as such. Opinions should be allowed to be voiced according to the First Amendment.

I don't think that Episode 7 is crap, I think it could use some well thought out improvements, but that's all. I'm really hoping Episode 8 blows us away.
  16. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    I don't understand why calling the VS crap is flaming. It actually isn't.

Deconstructive criticism and tasteless negative comments about a piece of fanfic is flaming, so sayeth the JC fan fic policies. Saying something is bad and you don't like it is an honest opinion. Using the term crap is wording that honest opinion in a tasteless manner. That is rude and unnecessary and thus a flame.

That's all from me. I'd like you to explain why you have the authority to ban someone for posting an opinion about a fanfic.

Because it's the policy and I am mean and cruel?

But seriously, feel free to contest this in Comms if you wish. If the fanfic forum changes their policy, so will I.
  17. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Wouldn't saying "I hate it" imply that you thought it was crap?

Saying "I hate it" is clearly your subjective view. Saying "It's crap" implies that you take it as the objective truth. The difference is astronomical.

Opinions should be allowed to be voiced according to the First Amendment.

Nobody is denying you the right to voice your opinion, but you can do it politely and without being rude.

I don't think that Episode 7 is crap, I think it could use some well thought out improvements, but that's all. I'm really hoping Episode 8 blows us away.

Well, if things continue to go the way they're going now ("now" as in "now that UJ is back in charge" ;)), I think the difference in quality between Episodes 7 and 8 will be quite big. ;) :)

I'd like you to explain why you have the authority to ban someone for posting an opinion about a fanfic.

Because he's a mod. Mods are mean and cruel by default. :p
  18. Gillespee Jedi Youngling

star 1
    I'm not weighing in on either side of this disagreement, but in JarJar146's defense, he did not post that the VS is crap as objective truth Mar. He said, "Everybody I know thinks that this Virtual Sequel stuff is CRAP," which to me looks like he's affirming the subjectivity of the statement.

Edit: And the first amendment allows you free public speech. This is not the public. Just like any piece of private property, the owners have the right to have complete control over what goes on here. It's their BBS, they make the rules. If you want to excercise your freedom of speech, head out on the street corner and start protesting how horrible the VS are.
  19. DarthBane77 Jedi Master

star 4
    If I'm understanding this conversation correctly, DarthBane77 would name Episodes 7-9:

Episode 7
    Get a Load of this Crap!

Episode 8
    The Crap Hits the Fan

Episode 9
    The Crap to End all Craps

Actually, I never said I thought it was crap. I was sticking up for people who did though. This is the first I've posted since it was released. I didn't like Episode VII. I hope VIII is better, but I would also like to see Episode VII re-done.
  20. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    And the first amendment allows you free public speech. This is not the public. Just like any piece of private property, the owners have the right to have complete control over what goes on here. It's their BBS, they make the rules. If you want to excercise your freedom of speech, head out on the street corner and start protesting how horrible the VS are.

*claps* Bravo! :)

OK, guys, can we put this debate behind? It leads to nowhere.

Um, how about starting a discussion about Ep.8? How do you think things are going to be like in there? :)
  21. darthduko Jedi Youngling

This conversation cracks me up! It would be ridiculous to keep this going since it really takes away from the discussion that this board is about. Since EFP was released, I think enough negative comments have been posted and we should all move on to figuring out ways to inspire the VS team to make it better the next time around. This might be hard to do though since the story seems locked down in some ways. Having the story be so secretive really makes it pointless for non-VS team members to say anything at all and we should just wait for the next one like we are waiting for EpIII.

Looking forward to the spoilers already VS team!

Gillespie, any speech is public speech, no matter if it's on a street corner or in some net forum owned by someone. As long as something you say is heard or read or perceived by another, then that makes it public. Sure, moderators and owners can censor what they want on their own, but that doesn't mean that it's necessarily right. Rude or P.C., opinions should be allowed; however, individuals should take into account that negative things they say don't really help. I think that's a topic for a Communications/Relating to Others forum though.

later
  22. darthduko Jedi Youngling

Here's what I'd like to see and think would work in EpVIII, any and all are free to say my ideas are "crap". LOL

1. You have to have a big revelation in this second act to keep people wondering if it's true and how deep it goes. Like Dooku/Obi-Wan in AOTC and Vader/Luke in ESB. I guess the best way to do this would be to exploit that strange Nyx/Kane connection.

2. Even though the prequels are bogged down with politics, now that you have this great Golemun character who is a politician, you've got to exploit that side of it more (especially since so many of us thought those were the best parts of EFP). Also, hint at what he's up to. Save the great stuff for EpIX.

3. I'm big on having major characters die, it adds much more emotion to the story. Having someone important knocked off in EpVIII would be great as long as it helped make a great story and you didn't kill someone just to kill them. Drekka's death in EFP didn't do anything for me because we barely got to know him IMHO. I've said before I would like to have seen Master Talja be the one to die instead. So knocking her off in the beginning of EpVIII would make Thenna parentless and pretty damn bitter throughout the story.

4. I assume there will be some sort of love story between Thenna and one of the Skywalker kids, looks like Ben to me. Would be cool if he accidentally causes the death of Thenna's mom. The resolution of this through the plot of the story brings them even closer because he finally gets to tell her the truth about what happened at the end when he ends up saving Thenna's life. Through most of the movie though she is ready to slit his throat, but he's trying to get close to her and show her that regardless of what happened he still loves her.

5. Of course you've gotta have a great battle. The one in EFP wasn't that moving to me. Whatever plans you have for the Coalition, make sure it is really, really bad ass. Some major form of genocide is always terrible and makes for a great story.

6. Lastly, the lightsaber duels. Once again, EFP's didn't do much for me, Mara should have gotten killed during it. I'm thinking that EpIX will have a fight between the brothers, so I guess you need to save that for the end. I guess it has to be between Nyx and one of the Skywalkers or Thenna or a major Jedi beast like Dal-Kon. Again, I think someone should get killed during this fight. I loved AOTC, but when Anakin and Obi-Wan only got hurt and Dooku got away scot free.....that didn't do much for me. But when Darth Maul and Qui-Gon were killed, that was cool. When Obi-Wan died it was great, when Luke basically attempts suicide rather than become his Dad's b***h in ESB is great, and the final battle in ROTJ is money. So have Nyx fight Thenna and Thenna gets hurt but not killed. Then another Jedi comes in and gets killed, right before Nyx turns to slay Thenna once and for all, Ben kills Nyx. Do NOT cut off a Skywalker kids hand, 3 generations in a row of that sorta thing is just too lame.

lemme know what ya think
  23. Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep

star 6
    OK, guys, can we put this debate behind? It leads to nowhere.

No, let's argue until we've flamed everyone! :p
  24. Mar17swgirl Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    No, let's argue until we've flamed everyone!

*puts on a fireproof suit*

Flame away! :D
  25. Viceroy_Wagar Jedi Master

star 1
    Hey lads, in total how many "Sith" are there in Escape From Peril? Also, who is going to be the new villain in Episode Eight? In each Star Wars film there is a new villain introduced. Thanks, peace out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.