main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Virtual Young Jedi

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Mar 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Who here would support virtual card sets based on Young Jedi? The Players Committee is seriously considering this possibility and we need to see if it would be worth our time to pursue.

2. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    The concept is good, but,well, I don't know Red. On the other hand, imagine the gameplay possibilioties if cards from the earlier sets had game text. The player's committee could think up great new things to do.

My main opinion is that I would rather see the player's committee put their valuable time into the CCG.

3. Yarua Of Kashyyyk

Yarua Of Kashyyyk Jedi Padawan star 4

May 1, 2000
    I would definitely support this venture...imagine finally being able to use Pit Droids for something useful. :)

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    We should devote our resources entirely to the real Star Wars game.

5. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Or the unreal game

From a certain point of view.

[face_mischief]

6. Masterlucas

Masterlucas Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 28, 2002
    I don't know if a virtual set would be enough to renew interest in a game that has been pretty dead for a long time, how about Jedi Knights would there be potentially more interest in continuing that game?

7. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    To answer Bib--Another "sub-division" would be carved out for YJ if we went through with it so nothing would be pulled from the SWCCG. I really don't think it would hurt.

To answer ML--I can't see JK getting resurrected at this point. I don't even know how many players there are for the game.

8. Masterlucas

Feb 28, 2002
    I would definitely give a virtual set a strong look, maybe it would even entice me to dust off my yj binders.

A little off topic, I loved the first v set of swccg, when do you think the next one will be hitting, any guesses?

9. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    You can expect vcard set deux in 2-3 months.

10. Masterlucas

Feb 28, 2002
    Excellant, I'm really looking forward to seeing what else you guys have cooked up, thanks.

11. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    I would be happy to contribute ideas.

12. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I would love a Virtual YJ set. With no character game text on any MODM or JC cards, there is a LOT of potential there. I would love to contribute ideas. LMK...

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Oh definately- the first two sets for YJ had no game text, and Battle For Naboo had very little. Everything should have gametext. You could really totally revamp the game into something much more greater than what it was I think.

You could literally do almost anything- perhaps even the capability for characters to pilot (and add bonuses to) starships for starship battles.

And in regards to JK...at the last tournament i went to, someone said there are only about 50 people worldwide registered for JK tournaments. They were jokingly saying they had considered attending D-con to try and win the prize money, since the odds were in your favor, so they'd end up with the money they spent on the game in the first place back that way::)

14. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Here's something I have thought of...

Some characters should have an attribute of command. If a character has this attribute they may be left out of your battle. However, while they are commanding, other cards benefit.

For example:
    Nute Gunray: Neimoidian Viceroy (The Jedi Council)
    Commander. While commanding, your [non-unique] Battle Driods may add {power Dot]

15. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Which gae mechanic do you feel is the most unbalanced (and why):

Dueling OR
    Podracing

16. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Podracing, I think. A dedicated podracing deck can win in 6 turns, maybe 7.

It's unbalanced because it is non-interactive. There is no "generic" podracer mechanic. At least dueling is interactive.

17. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Just to get some discussion going, here's a handful of virtual cards I thought up. The idea was to make some older common and uncommon cards more useful, spice up gameplay a little, help dueling and podracing decks.

What do you think?

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Padawan ? Deploys for [][][] and DAMAGE = 3 execpt on Tatooine.

Ishi Tib, Warrior ? May lose cards from hand to satisfy his DAMAGE.

Jawa, Thief ? During your Deploy step, may exchange one card from hand for one weapon in discard pile.

Darth Maul, Sith Lord ? Deploys for [][][] and DAMAGE = 3 except on Tatooine.

Pit Droid, Mechanic ? Draw one extra card when you refuel.

Passel Argente, Senator ? Lose three cards from hand to cancel a battle he is in.

Coruscant, Jedi Council Chamber (light) ? Add oo to any Jedi dueling here.

Eirtae, Handmaiden ? When deployed, take one handmaiden (except Padme) into hand from draw deck.

Sci Taria, Chancellor?s Aide ? When deployed, take Coruscant, Galactic Senate into hand from draw deck or discard pile. If your Coruscant, Galactic Senate has been converted, raise it to the top.

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Warrior ? oooo when in a duel.

Darth Maul, Sith Warrior ? oooo when in a duel.

Coruscant, Galactic Senate ? May not be converted.

Aks Moe, Senator ? When deployed, take one senator into hand from draw deck.

Ratts Tyerell ? When deployed, take Tatooine, Podrace Arena into hand from draw deck or discard pile. If your Tatooine, Podrace Arena has been converted, raise it to the top.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Sci Taria, Chancellor?s Aide ? When deployed, take Coruscant, Galactic Senate into hand from draw deck or discard pile. If your Coruscant, Galactic Senate has been converted, raise it to the top.

Coruscant, Galactic Senate ? May not be converted. <<

How can you convert something that cannot be converted?::)

19. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Ha ha! Okay, how about "May not be converted except by opponent's Coruscant, Galactic Senate".

Better? :)

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That'll do[face_batting]

21. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    More ideas, this time looking at rare cards...

Darth Sidious, Lord of the Sith - When on Coruscant, may take him into hand to cancel a battle or duel he is in (before any destinies or duel cards are drawn).

Darth Maul, Sith Apprentice - During battle, if your opponent reveals a weapon card (except a lightsaber), return it to opponent's hand.

Jar Jar Binks, Gungan Chuba Thief - During battle, if your opponent reveals a weapon card (except a lightsaber), return it to opponent's hand.

Yoda, Jedi Council Member - When on Coruscant, may take him into hand (after losing one card from hand) to cancel a battle or duel he is in (before any destinies or duel cards are drawn).

22. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Still more...

Nute Gunray, Neimoidian Viceroy - During battle, if your total power is less than opponent's total power, may play one battle card from your hand.

Rune Haako, Neimoidian Advisor - During battle, may reveal the next card in your battle plan. If it is a battle droid or Neimoidian, they fight together.

Valorum, Supreme Chancellor - During battle, may reveal the next card in your battle plan. If it is a Senator or Republic Guard, they fight together.

Boss Nass, Leader of the Gungans - During battle, if your total power is less than opponent's total power, may play one battle card from your hand.

23. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    There's still a lot of discussion going on over on decipher.com about how to "fix" podracing.

Here are some of my ideas. Numbers in [ ] are open for debate.

If you are podracing...

1. Allow your opponent to play any character with a "generic" podracer to the objective, and give him a generic handling number of [3 or 4].

2. Anytime you lose or surrender a planet, you take damage of [10 or 15].

3. Anytime you lose or surrender a planet, remove [2 or 3] thrust tokens from your podracer.

4. Change the maximum number of thrust tokens to 3.

5. Deny refueling.

6. During your even up step, lose X cards from the top of your draw deck, where X = number of thrust tokens.

#1 makes podracing more interactive and competitive, and would likely be my first choice. #2 makes you pay for being non-interactive in the combat arena.

#3 and #4 will slow you down, drawing the game out longer and giving your opponent a better chance of winning 2-of-3 planets or decking you out.

#5 helps your opponent win the planets faster, since you aren't drawing any cards you are deploying even less.

#6 just makes you pay for podracing. Why should podracing be free?

These don't all have to be rule changes. Most of these could be virtual cards. ("May deploy this character to Boonta Eve Podrace with a 'generic' podracer and a handling number of 3.") ("If your opponent has a podracer at Boonta Eve Classic, he or she must lose 15 cards if you win control of this planet.") ("At the end of your opponent's even up step, your opponent must discard X cards, where X = number of thrust tokens on his or her podracer.")

Any thoughts??

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Can't think of a specific card but perhaps one with gametext along the lines of "When deployed, opponent's Effects at same planet are discarded. Your Effects at same planet may not be discarded."

25. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Some changes to my previous post. Comments are welcomed....

If you are podracing...

1. Allow your opponent to play any unique character with a "generic" podracer to the objective. That character's handling number is determined the same way your pilot's is. A "generic" podracer which wins the race does not win the GAME, it just keeps YOU from winning the game.

2. Anytime you lose or surrender a planet, you take damage of 6.

3. Anytime you lose or surrender a planet, remove 3 thrust tokens from your podracer.

4. Change the maximum number of thrust tokens to 3.

5. Limit refueling to 1 card.

6. During your even up step, lose X cards from the top of your draw deck, where X = number of thrust tokens.

My friend also thinks a mechanic that let you "knock out" your opponent's podracer might work. The only idea we could come up with would be a Tatooine planet victory. If you win Tatooine, your opponent must [idea #1:] remove all thrust tokens and lap tokens, and reshuffle all lap cards back into their deck, or [idea #2:] all of the above PLUS discard your podracer and pilot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.