Virus Alert

Discussion in 'Milwaukee, WI' started by TheWampas1138, Apr 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheWampas1138 Jedi Master

star 4
    Last week I received an email from Wizards of the Coast that included two attachments that were supposed to be surveys. Hoping that it was a survey about their always outdated celebration website, I clicked on it. I only open attachments from people I know, and I am on Wizards email list, so I figured it was safe. Then the fun started. After that, every time I started the computer, a text box would pop up saying "Not enough memory to run (random program name)." And it was a program that did not exist. Later, some of these fake programs would show up in C:\Windows\Temp. The computer would also have a hard time shutting down, leading to a monster amount of temporary files with inticing names like fffe34~.tmp (Is it me, or does the tilda only show up as a character when things are horribly wrong?). I tried to delete the problem, going through and removing the temp files, the fake programs, etc. Well apparently this thing started emailing itself to people in the address book (and it doesn't show up in sent mail). As I was looking around on the Celebration II message board, I discovered a thread about the same problem, and someone posted the website to find the cure.
    If any of you have this problem it's: www.symantec.com. Or, you can contact me, I still have the clean up program saved.
    Oddly enough, the virus program has several file names, but one of them was luke.scr. On the good note, at least Wizards of the Coast finally sent me something exciting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.