main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Vision of the Future," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1998]

Discussion in 'Archive: Literature Review Forum' started by dp4m, Feb 7, 2003.

?

"Vision of the Future," by Timothy Zahn [Bantam, 1998]

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. 10 (Excellent)

55.4%
  2. 9

11.5%
  3. 8

15.5%
  4. 7

6.8%
  5. 6 (Average)

0.7%
  6. 5 (Average)

2.0%
  7. 4

1.4%
  8. 3

2.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1 (Poor)

4.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Rolek

Darth_Rolek Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 8, 2001
    I gave this book a 1 and I would give it negative if it had been an option. Luke and Mara are paired here, what more needs to be said? Tiershon_Fett is 100% right.

2. DIVINATIONVI

DIVINATIONVI Jedi Youngling

Jan 26, 2005
    Once again Zhan held me in awe with his masterful visions of Star Wars continuation. Read most all of them now. I know he is working on more and I sooooo can't wait for it. Go Zhan! "And may the force be with you." How many days till May 19th?

3. Serendipity

Serendipity Guest

A really entertaining book. 10 out of 10!

There's no SW book (and very few non-SW btw too) I enjoyed as much as Vision of the Future. I loved every character and particularly enjoyed the charade the Imperials were playing, pretending Thrawn had recovered and all, how all the plotlines were unfolded... I think Zahn invented the most original additional characters to the expanded universe. Too bad most of the things he indicated at the end of the Thrawn trilogy would happen afterwards were mostly screwed up by other authors. I mean I was 10 years old when I finished the Last Command and got the clue with Luke giving his lightsaber to Mara and all... So it's really cool that Zahn made the EU good again and rightened all those wrongs, even if it was a bit hard to hear that all from Mara. But hey! Wouldn't be that bad for you guys who complain about that to take a little critique from a woman too...! ;)

4. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    9 out of 10 Excellent book except for the rushed ending (Brilliant combat soldier beaten in seconds!!) and the usual hero worship of Mara/Thrawn and Karrade.
    but aside that it was a great book and the bantam era at least went out with some dignity.

5. -JediRevan-

-JediRevan- Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    I loved it, there were only a couple things that bugged me about it. First was that everyone was deathly afraid of everything Thrawn did or didnt do. I think he overhyped him a bit much. Also, some of the luke/mara chats were kinda lame, and him proposing to her really should have been done better. It really seemed to come out of no where. I expected that part to be a bit better (i knew it was going to happen because of these stupid forums :p)

overall though another good zahn book, he does a really great job with these

6. -JediRevan-

-JediRevan- Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2005
    o yea, another thing that bothered me that i forgot to mention, is that I think they are taking the 'jedi dont kill' thing too literal. They dont kill when its not necessary, but if there are a bunch of people shooting at you, you kill them, you dont almost get yourself killed trying to spare their lives

7. ProA

ProA Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 6, 2003
    I loved this book. It still remains my favorite SW book to date. Zahn has a very good ear for dialogue (for a sci-fi writer, anyways) and he infuses his knowledge of the SW world almost seamlessly. He manages to keep the various stories going on without a hitch and he keeps us intrigued with all of the characters. The story is working at its best with Luke and Mara and we get some real character development with them and we learn more about them as people while they try to save the galaxy. At nearly 700 pages, it sounds like it would be too much but Zahn makes them fly by.

8. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    I gave it a ten on accident. I thought this was spectre of the past.

Good, but some things didn't klick. People were a little too afraid of Thrawn (which, I just realized, sounds like Zhan) and can 3 star-destroyers really take nearly 200 corvete sized vessels?

Since that topic is locked, I want to say I loved specter of the past. the internal politics of both the empire and the republic. Plus, pirates finally made an impact. (For some reason I just love the Preybird, Corsair and Kaloth ships)

9. P_F_A_F_F

P_F_A_F_F Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    6 out of 10. The whole relationsip between Luke and Miss. Jade seemed kinda...rushed. I really think that it sohuld have been spread out over more than a two book arch after all taht time they spent apart. Also, i really was not a fan of the force-speacky crature things either. I REALLY liked the E.o.t.H. though.

10. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    10/10

this is one of my fav books period.
    the first 1/3 kinda dragged a little but the last 1/2 i read in like 2 days, which is amazing for me cuz i'm a slow reader. (a 250 pg books takes about a month)
    only thing i dislike is the set-up to the NJO in the end

11. STUBRIS

STUBRIS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    9/10 I loved it! Zahn is THE essential SW author.I was engrossed with all the individual plotlines, i especially enjoyed the friction between Flim, Disra & Tierce.I think that Trilogies or duologies work better than stand alone novels or continuing themes (Hello NJO!), & although the ending of VotF was a little rushed, it still felt like a lovely way to end an era.(I love how the end of THoT echoes the ending of TTT..a nice touch!)

12. solokid2

solokid2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 25, 2005
    I like Vision of the Future since now i know that Grand Admiral Thrawn is not the Imperial conqueror we saw in the Heir to the Empire books. But He was seeking to unify the Empire/New Republic to deal with a yet as unknown threat that will be showed in the Outbound Flight book.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.