main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Visions of Padme's Death

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by enigmaticjedi, Jan 28, 2015.

?

From Palpatine or From The Force Alone?

1. Anakin saw the future through the Force; Palpatine had nothing to do with it

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  2. Palpatine sent the visions to Anakin; That's why he brings up saving Padme from certain death

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    What was the source of Anakin's visions of Padme's death?

(1) The Force

(2) Palpatine

In my opinion, the film leaves it open to interpretation.

(1) The Force -- Anakin could've seen this specific future through the Force as an indirect warning to stay away from Palpatine. Ironically, since Anakin couldn't find help to properly interpret the vision, he ended up causing that future via the actions he took to prevent it.

(2) Palpatine -- Palpatine could've sent these visions to Anakin via the Force. Consider the 2 conversations Palpatine had with Anakin. In the first, he tells about how wielding the Dark Side can result in influencing the midichlorians (allegedly) to create life. He lets this sink in for a while. In the second, he tells how the Dark Side can save his wife from certain death. What if that was his plan? Make him think Padme is in certain peril, claim that only the Dark Side can save people from death, and then make him choose between the Jedi or Padme?

What do you think?

2. Cyreides

Cyreides Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 19, 2014
    I'd say it's quite a stretch for Palpatine to know Padmes future as a result of Anakin seeing the visions and then acting on them, and then more of a stretch for him to be able to give Anakin that vision to kick start the whole thing so he would fall to the dark side and inevitably cause her death so the vision would have a reason to exist.

Soooooo the force.

3. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I think it was a mixture of things. Anakin being able to see the future. A gift, or perhaps curse he had his whole life.

Secondly, I think they also sprang from Anakin's own worst fear. Which was that he would lose Padme.

Now I suppose Sidious may have had something to do with it. Since he conveniently knew, but at the same time he could have foreseen these events or sensed Anakin's fears. Not to mention he knew Anakin pretty well.

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Palpatine knew of Anakin's situation because he can sense his thoughts and feelings. Remember, Obi-wan warned Luke to bury his feelings deep, or that the Sith would use it against him. Which they did. In this case, Anakin didn't protect his feelings around Palpatine because he had no clue that he was a Sith Lord. But he didn't plant those visions. They were the result of Anakin seeing the future based on his actions. Much like his visions of becoming a Jedi and seeing Shmi in pain were separate from the Sith. That doesn't mean that something cannot trigger it, but it isn't a plant, but a premonition. Which is why Luke saw his friends suffering before Vader laid a finger on them.

Cynda, Alienware and enigmaticjedi like this.
  5. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011

I agree with this. I just wanted to see what people here thought about that Palpatine theory. In the past, I had heard about it, and while it was interesting, I thought it wasn't as plausible as the visions simply coming from the force as a premonition

6. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    the force, NOT Palpatine

1) Palp/Sidious is not a Godlike figure, if Palps could do that why not send other Jedi images and dreams to mess with their heads a bit? :p

2) Lucas as far as I know has never even hinted it was Palps, it would change the story slightly if Sidious had done this

3)"he sees things before they happen, Senator Palps likes to do it it's a Jedi trait" QGJ

7. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    While the Sidious theory is interesting and puts an even nastier slant into his manipulating Anakin toward the Dark Side, I think it's Anakin's own fear of losing Padme that produced these visions. I know when I used to obsess over something, it can take over my every thought.

8. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    But if they are Anakin truly seeing the future and not Palpatine induced, then the whole self-fulfilling prophecy makes it, well, just that. A paradox. I kind of like to think it was somehow Palpy...

9. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011
    Well, he didn't see the future; he saw a possible future. As Yoda said in ESTB: "Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future."

thejeditraitor likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    anakin saw the future through the force. the irony is that it was only a possible future and the one anakin ended up causing himself. palps had nothing to do with it.

"always in motion, the future is." yoda

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  11. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    I've always kinda been right down the middle on this question. However, I do believe the force was telling Anakin that basically, he would face his biggest test yet, and the outcome was what he feared most. The outcome also started the "test" to boot. I think Palpataine knew, because he could sense Anakin's feelings and fears and that's why he paid such attention to him, and it's how he knew how to pull every single string to orchestrate Anakin's fall.

12. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I've gone back and forth regarding this issue in my mind. But I think it's likely that the Force was behind the vision, and that Sidious could sense it. Therefore, he exploited it as his final test to reel Anakin in. However, given how Sidious was organizing for the war to draw to a close and for Anakin to do Dooku in, he may have planted the vision in Anakin's mind, knowing his worst fear, and it would have affected the latter's mind even more.

13. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Well, he did see the future, but it changed. Hence Obi-wan isn't wearing his cloak in the actual moment, whereas he was in the vision. Just recently in "Star Wars: Rebels", there was an episode where Ezra Bridger had his first vision of the future. While I won't give away what happened, at the end, he questions Kanan Jarrus about why it turned out the way it did. Kanan had told him to trust the Force, but when he did, it lead him astray. Kanan tells him that his emotions clouded his decisions that he needed to understand that when looking at the future, he must be objective in order to try and figure out the meaning of the visions. Anakin and Luke were not objective, which is why their visions ended as they did. Anakin never considers that what he saw was a result of what he did to Dooku. He just thinks that he has to stop it from coming true because he saw it happen once before.

thejeditraitor and enigmaticjedi like this.