main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC VISIT PYONGYANG

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rogue_Ten, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Seriously?

I know people who have been. That's not accurate.

Either **** off and shut up, or shut up and **** off, but definitely do both those things one after the other.

It's so obnoxious to make inane and inaccurate statements as if you know what you're talking about when you don't.

3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    really if you dont want beezel to do that you might as well ask him not to post at all

Ender Sai likes this.
  4. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    After spending a year in Korea, with about 9 weeks at the DMZ, I can safely say "cold and sterile" can't begin to describe the country.

What's interesting is that the DPRK is definitely a study in contrasts, all under the managed economy. There are so few resources to go around that while even a city like Pyongyang has some modern conveniences, all the resources go to propping up the image that it is a vibrant city. Outside of the cities, the entire country is something out of a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie. Just some random points in no real order:
    1)There are large swathes of the country where all the trees have been chopped down because they had to be used for fuel. Think Dr. Suess's The Lorax, but spread across hundreds and hundreds of Kms.
    2)There's a city South of Pyongyang where the majority of the population starved to death in the 90's, because the resources were diverted to the party supporters in Pyongyang City. The survivors had to be randomly dispersed to the countryside.
    3) However, along the DMZ there is a village named Kijong-Dong which was created to look like a thriving city from the South's perspective. Some of the buildings have lights that are timed to switch on and off, but the entire town is fake. It's just a facade.
    4)Did everyone notice in that video how many army soldiers were just standing around doing nothing? The military is so large a part of the managed economy that there are more people than there are jobs that need to be filled. As a result, military personnel report every day with the entire duty of standing in specific places.
    5)Also with the military, there is not enough equipment to go around. You can actually observe North Korean soldiers sharing uniforms and equipment. One soldier will be on guard duty, another will show up to relieve him in basically sweats/underwear, and the first soldier will take off his uniform, hand it to the second, who then wears it for his guard shift. There are thousands of troops who don't have bullets for their rifles, or wiho get issued a single bullet which is carried in the pocket of their shirt.

There really is a cult of personality surrounding its leaders. And even more depressing is that citizens of North Korea are told the entire world is like that, and North Korea is actually better off than anywhere else. There are examples of defectors making their way to the South who go into culture shock when they see how thriving South Korea is, and actually have nervous breakdowns and crying fits when they realize how wasted their life was.

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    kim jong-il is teh worst Eternal Leader

just imagine how crazy north korea (and corea generally) will be after the juche government falls

6. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i see this is a thread where we hint that you served your country without mentioning that you were in fact a contractor. okay, ill play along:

what effect do you think the increased asian (and international) tourism and (relatively) open border with china in the last year or so is having? i bet there's a lot of weeping on the hoods of fancy chinese cars

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Rogue, let's be honest here. No Chinese car is fancy.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    In Best Korea, Pyongyang visits you.

9. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I liked how a good third of the whole video focused on the fact that they have a functional subway with at least two stops.

10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I say let's count positives. Good for them!

11. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Rogue stop. Just Stop. I've never reported anyone to the administration because I have a pretty thick skin, but if you keep diminishing something that I am relatively proud about for whatever your perverse reasons are, I will. It's baiting, and it's immature.

And to give you a taste of your own medicine, whenever you post, I'll randomly chime in about how, yes, you forgot to mention how you're a child molester. You know, because I'm just "playing along."

Clear enough?

Ender Sai likes this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's always the people who've never actually served their country in any capacity who have the greatest temerity when telling others who have about the value or nature of their service.

13. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    Well, it's not even that. It would be totally different if I said "I was in the military," and Rogue answered back "eh, I don't like the military because I'm against war." Great. Either one are valid beliefs.

But he has this perverse fantasy where I was some sort of contractor or mercenary or something out of a movie that exists only in his head, and what's even more strange is he continues to believe it despite not talking to me at all nor having any information that would lead him to believe anything like that. I don't know where it came from, but it's insulting and pointless.

It's like if someone here posted about getting their first new car, a Ford, who was excited to buy it, but Rogue just kept coming in a saying, "you didn't buy a Ford, you bought a Isuzu. You don't deserve a Ford..." And it's like " WTF, that's random, but no, I know which car I bought, where did you even come up with crap like that?

14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Stop ruining Ender's hawkish imperial bloodlust.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  15. Mr44

May 21, 2002
    But encouraging Ender's hawkish imperial bloodlust is what I do. Except for the times we're feeling sweet and tender and just want to cuddle.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Ender sigh takes many lovers; no wonder rt doesn't like you.

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i categorically and directly deny that i am a child molester. i will make no attempt to dodge the issue or dance around the question, and, if asked, i will gladly offer any reasonably accessible (for the purposes of a semi-anonymous star wars message board), evidence to the contrary. it is of no concern to me that you have given me the opportunity to affirm my non-child molester status with a simple affirmation or denial of your statement, and indeed, rather than threaten to report you to the mods, i thank you for this opportunity to affirm and celebrate my deep commitment to not molesting children, a fact of my character that i take great pride in and that, though i count modesty among my other virtues, i will always be glad to answer any questions about the nature of my lack of child molestation

good day, sir

Ender Sai i think that's the beezelest post ive ever seen you make

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Maik, in English-speaking countries we would tell you to stop being a a four letter word rhyming with hunt.

I suggest you Google what that word means used in the vernacular by Englishmen, first.

If you were honourable, in the real sense and not whatever passes for standard's in Wocky's world, you'd apologise for being a git.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    It's five letters, and I don't see how he resembles a cake.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    beezel and ender has mind-melded somehow. i never would have thought it possible

Zapdos likes this.
  21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, stop that. No scorched earth retreats. You get in there an apologise now!

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Well, it's not so different when you look at. Beezel only gave up $14,000 to a woman that doesn't care anything about him and never did anything for him, while Ender still sits around making hagiographic message board posts and swearing undying fealty to his.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

I'm sorry, you really want to make that accusation there?

Given you defend a women who had slept with her gay brother and offered to three way him and her king?

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    You are outrageous.

She has never slept with anyone before. At all.

Her comment to Renly was not serious, either. She was just emotionally devastated because her husband was rejecting her for no reason at all. He was a bad person who mistreated her, and she shouldn't be held responsible for being unsure of how to respond to a situation like that. Thankfully, she didn't have to for very long.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    She's had more penis than you've had hot meals, Wocky. And the fact she'd seduce her husband and brother? Not even dp would hit that.

OK, dp would, but I feel that actually underscores my point.