main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Visiting the first week of August

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by Dark Lady Mara, Jul 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Hello all,
    I'm going to be in LA from August 2nd through August 9th (or thereabouts) and was wondering if you all have any suggestions for some good nerdy things to do in the area. I guess non-nerdy suggestions are interesting too, but I wanted to hear a bit of a Star Wars geek's-eye view of the area and learn some things I wouldn't find in guidebooks. :p Thanks!

2. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    If you didn't make it to Comic Con & you have access to a car, Frank & Sons is a place with geekdom galore: http://www.fs-collectibles.com/

For something semi-geeky, you could check out the exhibit in the PULLING BACK THE DRAPES THREAD &/or the Venice Boardwalk.

For non-geeky but awesome, L A is chock full of and surrounded by Museums, Botanical Gardens, Theme Parks, colorful neighborhoods etc.

Were you looking for someplace in particular?

3. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Beth!!!!!!!!!!

We must meet up. Also, there is a special showing of all three LotR Extended Editions at the Aero theater in Santa Monica on the 2nd. It starts at 5 PM, so you should be here by then. Tickets are $3, and it's being introduced by the guy who helped design the posters for the movies! I'll be there, and so will GForce.

Come visit me!!!!!!!:D

4. GFORCE13

GFORCE13 Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2007
    Opps MZ did I give you the wrong date?? It was originally August 2nd but it will be on Saturday August 5th. Here is the Link: http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2008/Aero/SciFi-Fantasy_Horror_Aero_2008.htm#RETURN%20OF%20THE%20KING,
    Also people who don't there is a special premiere screening of Clone Wars August 10th at the Egyptian: http://www.americancinematheque.com/archive1999/2008/Egyptian/specialevent_August_ET2008.htm#STARS%20WARS:%20THE%20CLONE%20WARS

5. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    Oh, I didn't know that. Thanks GForce.

EDIT: Uhhhh...the 5th is a Tuesday. The 2nd is a Saturday.

6. Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo Jedi Master star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    I always wondered why people would travel to another city and spend time seeing a movie while there.

Seems counter productive to the idea of seeing a new city.

7. MrZAP

Jun 2, 2007
    But it's LotR!!!!!!!!!!

8. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    And it is being introduced by the guy who helped design the posters for the movies!!!!!

That in itself is beyond lame.

9. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Hmm, yeah, I'll think about the LotR thing. We can totally watch those at home, though. :p

The Frank & Son site looks cool!

10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, the Chinese theatre has some good nerd stuff going for it, but is also a big touristy thing so I figure taht might not need mentioning.

I'm obligated to plug Griffith Observatory, as it overlooks L.A. and with optimum conditions you can see 60 miles or so. Its free to go to the observatory itself, (although the planetarium show is $7) plus its a fairly iconic building, as seen in Terminator, Rebel Without a Cause, Transformers, Charlie's Angels, and more.

There's also studio tours for the movie studios scattered around. If you've got other particular interests, that can help a lot with suggestions though. Or a specific area of L.A. you'll be in.

11. crazybirdman

crazybirdman Jedi Master star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    eat at In & Out and/or Tommy's

12. Varekei

Varekei Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 5, 2005
    And Philipe's and The Hat.

13. Sol_Jedi

Sol_Jedi LA Chapter Rep star 4

Oct 8, 2005
    In the spirit of being in L.A., come on down to East L.A. and I'll take you to some real authentic Mexican food. Non of that Hollywood or West L.A. stuff.

14. Jiltedtoo

Nov 18, 2002
    I miss good mexican food. :(

Someone mentioned studio tours. Warner Bros. has a pretty decent studio tour worth seeing.

I would also suggest for shopping spots, Melrose, 3rd street, old town pasadena, and venice beach.

Also stop by a Jerry's famouse deli for some over priced food.

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well, there are a few film festivals taking place near that time. Holly Shorts Film Festival is from August 7-10 I believe, that's in and around Hollywood mainly, and there is the Hermosa Shorts Film Festival August 8-10 with opening ceremonies on the 7th. I'll be at that one, but not Holly Shorts (didn't get in). Hermosa should be fun, beach screenings and parties, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.