main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Visual Continuity from ROTJ and EVII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Han Yolo, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    How do you think JJ will accomplish this? One of my favorite parts and one of the most well executed editing of the PT/ ROTS was the gradual transition towards a darker, OT feel. By the end of ROTS you have a much grainier, darker picture, much less (or perceived less) CGI, and more OT "level" of picture, and technology. Do you think JJ will do this / how will he do this in E7? Is it needed?

My running theory, is E7 will start on with a darker more OT feel, less CGI more puppets and gradually transition into more advanced tech.

Thoughts?

jc1138, WatTamborWoo and kubricklynch like this.
  2. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006
    Ep 7 needs its own visual language while retaining stuff that makes it look Star Wars. EP 7 is set in a different era, so the last thing I want to see is more X-wings and TIE Fighters. If visual style changes so rapidly in our own planet, a different Star Wars era should look different from all the other Star Wars film we have seen.

3. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I don't think it would feel like a natural progression for Episode VII to keep going the darker route ROTJ went from ESB, which took a darker route from ANH. That visual shift in tone across the OT fit very well with the story arc of those films. 35 years later and presumably at the beginning of a new conflict of some sort, I'd imagine we'll see something on the lighter end.

Death_Jar_Jar likes this.
  4. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    I absolutely want to see more X Wings and TIE Fighters. It's not impossible that the same, or similar, looking equipment would be in use. Just look at the evolution of modern day air superiority fighters. While there have been leaps and bounds in technology, the overall "look" of a modern fighter has been pretty similar since the 80s. The relatively fast evolution between the PT era ships and the OT era ships can easily be attributed to the war, as war is a good motivation to advance technologically. If no major military situations have happened in the last 30 years I could believe the technological progress could slow down and would have no problem seeing XWings/TIE Fighters.

Besides... the OT ships just look so boss compared to what was in the PT.

Mr. K and Force Smuggler like this.
  5. SimitarLikeTusk

SimitarLikeTusk Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2014
    This..isn't true at all.

And yeah I don't really understand someone saying you don't wanna see tie fighters. You may as we'll say you don't wanna see r2d2, go see a non Star Wars movie then..how much have airplanes changed in 30 years? (Not a whole lot)

6. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    We are no doubt going to see the Falcon in there, maybe even more battered than when we last saw it. But do they also follow that with Luke still relying on his X wing with Artoo whilst the rest of the republic or whatever are using more modern equipment?

They could still cameo some of the OT ships like TIE's if there is an element of an old defence on some backwater planet somewhere.

But I don't think they should rely on nostalgia too much in this one with all the ships. They should be changed in their design slightly, (but not too much).

Which gets me thinking, when in the process of making TPM did we start seeing the Naboo fighters? I thought that was quite early on in the process. So hopefully some ship image are revealed at some point.

7. Julian Skywalker-Solo

Julian Skywalker-Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

May 21, 2014
    Does Luke still have his X-Wing? Someone else undoubtedly flew it in the battle of Endor. It could very well have been destroyed. Although it's possible that Luke Skywalker could have flown more missions after Endor.

8. RandomGuardian

RandomGuardian Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    While these movies will be Star Wars, that doesn't mean that the movie looks completely visually the same as the Original Trilogy. We could still have some of the older ships make appearances here and there and we're no doubt getting the Millennium Falcon, but I want to see new ships since the X-Wings will be getting old and the Y-Wings were already obsolete by the Original Trilogy.

We all know that Star Wars takes place a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I always viewed the Original Trilogy as the present and the Prequels as the past since the Originals were the closest movies to our time, but that view is outdated and no longer applies. We're getting Sequels and almost the same amount of time will have passed here and there and quite a few things have changed from then until now; I'd like to see that same kind of change echoed onscreen. The Sequels will now be the present, the Originals will be the past along with the Prequels. That means changes to many things that once would have been considered new and state of the art, but not everything.

Dak Oolron and thejeditraitor like this.
  9. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    A jumbo jet looks the same as it did 40 years ago. A USA aircraft carrier of today looks very similar to the USS Enterprise in fact that particular sea vessel was only retired in 2012 after 50 years of service. So technology can obviously remain static.

My dad has argued that the problem with Star Wars is that the PT looks more advanced than the OT. Well that happens in real life as well. We no longer have supersonic domestic flights since Concorde retired. There is no longer a Space shuttle program in the US. So technology can sometimes regress.

We have also experienced have technology can progress. In real world terms it does all three. I hope that this is what is mirrored in the ST.

For me the visual language of Star Wars includes the crawl, wipes, no slow motion or flashbacks. I hope within those boundaries that JJ can push the envelope a little bit but I also hope that both the PT and OT will influence the ST. I got a distinct PT vibe from the video from JJ on the Tatooine set which was welcome and many have said that Bob is a nod to the OT style.

darkmarc, Graphic, jc1138 and 6 others like this.
  10. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001

I must have missed that part. I thought ROTS had the most CGI. I don't think the PT looked anything like the OT at any given time. The glaring difference between the visuals of the OT and PT are a big part of what turned me off.

11. Han Yolo

Mar 7, 2013

Oh it did have TONS of CGI, but watch the last 10 mintues of ROTS again, it was done exceptionally but it did get darker and the tech seemed to regress. Its sublte, dont get me wrong, but lucas did right and tried to link them just a bit. I'm thinking specifically of the Vader NO scene, thats when, to me. Lucas tries to link them.

12. bleed0range

bleed0range Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 29, 2007
    Really? Because I was always like oh suddenly there are imperial uniforms and star destroyer decks in the last 10 minutes like as soon as Anakin fell into lava they had just finished all the star destroyers and tie fighters so they could pick up his remains and turn him into Vader. Boom. OT. Seemed too sudden to me.

13. Han Yolo

Mar 7, 2013

Yea thats a fair point. Even if it happened in 10 minutes...thats only 10 minutes of a 3 hour movie. Well do you think JJ will do this better? Or is it needed at all?

14. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    IMO the only thing that looked remotely like the OT in the PT was the opening scene of Phantom Menace.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    [face_thinking] I don't think there's any need for Episode VII to basically be a carbon copy of ROTJ. Or the OT for that matter. They are separated by over three decades-an entire lifetime, for many on here, including myself.

In form, special effects, tone and theme, it should IMO be all it's own (as the PT was) while still retaining all continuity of specific things-like the opening crawl, screen wipes, Luke's lightsaber, the Millenium Falcon, sound effects, etc. I don't think foregoing today's great moviemaking technology in favor of puppets and other things that were used decades ago would be necessary for continuity. IMO the little things-how they look, sound, and the overall story are the only things that matter for that. No matter what anyone says, CG IS good enough now to make things look quite realistic onscreen. (In Star Trek Into Darkness, the CG stuff actually looked MORE realistic than the stage sets and prosthetics, IMO)

With it being 30 years later (even more time than what passed between Episodes III and IV, BTW) It would be odd if after all that time we see absolutely NOTHING that has changed or is different. This means a new era, with new...everything, just about. Even Luke's outfit may have changed...There would be no reason to expect him to still be wearing that black outfit. (I suppose now the same argument could be made for the lightsaber, but I think it would be a missed opportunity to at least have THAT be the same-for fan service, if nothing else.)

rdhight and thejeditraitor like this.
  16. Han Yolo

Mar 7, 2013

Perhaps my examples created the wrong path of this thread.

Lets limit PT v OT discussion.

17. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I think it's important to take into consideration how the story effected that visual universe/galaxy.

In the PT, it makes sense that things are lush, and rich, and luxurious. It makes perfect sense that there's a shininess and glamour to ship design and clothing. The Galaxy, although corrupted, had government, has industries, markets, finances, unions, all in place, working within the system.

In the OT, due to the Empire controlling all aspects of life, we see that design is paired down and simplified. This is mostly due to economic constraints put in place by an the Empire, who cares more about military spending, weapon design, then on luxurious clothing, ships, homes, wall decor.

In the ST, I imagine a world continuing that trend. In the vacuum of a fallen dictatorship, what would happen to those, once controlled, marketplaces and industries. Would there be private companies producing ships, clothing, homes, etc. Or, in the chaos from the random powers that vie to take control of the Galaxy would things essentially stagnate and rot.

We could see a world where everything is held together at the seems. Much like the Falcon, we could see the rest of the Galaxy literally rotting and being held together by duct tape. Parts of an X-wing here, parts of an Imperial shuttle there.

It would only be when the heroes and the Galaxy finally rebuild society that the designs would begin to reflect the ideals that go along with rebirth and prosperity.

I never really found grit in the OT. Certainly parts did, the film stock did, the Falcon and Homestead did. But, it was more so that the Galaxy looked lived in. It wasn't grimy and dark like say the Alien or Blade Runner movies were. There was still bright spots and lense flares (yup they had those too). What made the OT real was that it looked lived in. You could see the fingerprints on the chrome. The buttons and knobs looked like they had been turned and flipped a hundred times over.

That's the glue that should connect the trilogies, independent over whatever contemporary design aesthetics exist during each trilogy.

18. Scot Pagel

Scot Pagel Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2014
    The medical frigate will appear. I could see they use that ship as an opening screen shot panning down to the window we are all familiar with.

Revanfan1, DARTH_BELO and Dak Oolron like this.
  19. CarryABigStick

CarryABigStick Jedi Knight star 1

May 10, 2014

This is the only answer that matter!

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    booo! the pt had tons of puppets and real sets and the ships were awesome. go troll somewhere else.

21. Scummy_and_Villainous

Scummy_and_Villainous Jedi Knight star 3

May 13, 2013
    3 hours?

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Does anyone think AOTC had a SW look? It certainly expanded the visual envelope. Maybe Ep7 will do the same.

23. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    all sw movies have a sw look.

24. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
  25. RandomGuardian

RandomGuardian Jedi Knight star 1

May 21, 2014
    The Republic had been using the green uniforms with red and blue markings for rank the entire war, the star destroyers were stripped of their paint, and the fighters seen were V-Wings, the Republic's newest fighter coming into service near the end of the war.

The one thing I've never been able to understand and must question was Vader's armor, though perhaps the armor was already being crafted for Vader and had to have life systems installed when he got burned, otherwise I find it hard to believe that the medical facility puts everybody who needs life support in that evil looking suit.

Darth PJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.