main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Visual Continuity from ROTJ and EVII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Han Yolo, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Um . . . I don't see how I've posted anything to imply I'm, "gullible." If your implying that my saying that Abrams changed much of the Trek aesthetic to both modernize it and make it clear his movies are set in an alternate reality is somehow contradictory, then you're obviously wrong. Embarrassingly so.

It's the same thing with Lucas. With CGI, he can put to screen any random thing he wants to in his films depending on his random whims regardless of purpose or taste. He also can play with all the new toys he likes in lieu of caring about creating compelling characters and stories.

See what I mean?

In any case, this is just a diversionary tactic of yours that your side of things likes to employ instead of actually addressing the content of my reply to you. What other distracting tactic will you use next? I think you should use the, "The PT used more models than all of the OT," fallacy. That's always good for a laugh.

Qui-Riv-Brid likes this.
  2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    stop fighting. nerds.

3. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    E7 is in a unique position of being made in a time where dark stories are standard, so its hard for me to imagine it will start light in tone. I reckon the beats will mimic IV. When that movie got dark it got dark. Sure Luke lost his hand and Han was carbonited in Empire, but IV had Luke's family burned to a crisp and an entire planet being destroyed. They just didn't dwell on it that much. In this, I think they will. (Leia chilling after her home and all the people on it blew up made little sense to me.)

Also I think the word "gritty" will be relevant like nobodies business. This SW will look like a junk yard in some places.

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    You stated that the 'rules' don't apply to Star Trek because it takes place in an 'alternate reality' (an 'alternate reality' where all the same characters are in the same roles on the same ship) and that it's a reboot - which I infer means, from an aesthetic sense, anything goes'. So it shouldn't adhere to the rules that Star Wars does. Does that sum up your view? I stated that citing 'alternate reality' was a lazy excuse to explain more advanced technology and an Enterprise that's twice the size of the original... and asked if a reboot 'why is Leornard Nimoy in it then'? You had no response.

And to again make it clear... I don't have a problem that JJ felt the need to update Star Trek... I think it, in the main, worked for the better. My beef is thinking that this can't be applied to SW - it's exactly the same principle. Look forwards and not backwards.

5. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    I thought I addressed the Leanard Nimoy thing in my comment about Nero traveling back in time. Spock and Nero clearly are from the old timeline and it's explicitly stated that his world is different from the one in JJTrek. He was included because they thought it'd be a fun pass the torch moment nothing more. You're attempting to muddle up something that's simple and explicit in order to make... Whatever point.

6. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    You addressed NOTHING. You are trying to justify why Star Trek can be forward thinking, but Star Wars should look backwards because it has to look and feel exactly like the OT. If that isn't the point you are making then please state otherwise.

ray243 likes this.
  7. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    Actually, I addressed every one of your points. You're just avoiding the issue by creating distraction arguments in lieu of anything substancial. You've been the one who hasn't been making any sense in this thread. Stop arguing emotionally.

8. ray243

ray243 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 26, 2006

So why can't EP 7 look different from all the previous SW movies?

9. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Is that the best you can muster mister? You can't even address the points in a rational and coherent manner. What's this 'issue' you keep blurting on about?

10. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    I did address each and every one of your points. I even asked you to elaborate so I'd have a better understanding of where your coming from. Don't get pissy at me just because I exposed a flaw in your premise which started this whole debate. That's why I saw you're arguing emotionally.

Really, you seem to be the one who doesn't have much of a point.

And I've stated in other threads that I fully expect the ST to have its own unique look. It'll have its new vehicles and vessels all it's own. No one's stated otherwise so why are you so insecurely trying to make to do about nothing. That said, it's set in the same universe so things WILL need to be kept the same as the OT. As such, they likely won't change say, the Falcon without good reason in universe. Luke'll have his same green lightsaber, the Jedi Temple will likely be the same ( though more real looking), etc.

I already explained why I think they shouldn't rely as heavily on CGI as the PT. You embarrassed yourself with an equivilant of, "no u." To be fair, I should have elaborated that I was moreso referring to the Battle of Endor and the like as opposed to the Ewoks and puppets, so I apologize for not being clearer. I also should mention again that I never said the ST should have no CGI at all. Still, I maintain the best practical effect will hold up longer than the best digital effect. Every time.

11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    My point was to highlight your fallacious ones.

12. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    My friend, you are not going to get ahead in this discussion if the premise of your arguments is telling people they are wrong. You may passionately disagree but I respectfully recommend you take it less seriously, specially in matters that involve high levels of subjectivity. I say all of this with good intentions because I understand how defending something passionately may cause a bit of blindness and agression which ultimately is unnecessary and offensive. You make really good and engaging arguments but they suffer when you blatantly disregard those coming from others as "fallacious".

13. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    it's not a fallacy. and please change that profile pic. it makes my stomach hurt.

Darth PJ likes this.
  14. TheFoot

TheFoot Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2011
    Does anyone doubt that we're going to get a good mix of things? We will have things carry over, but new things as well. It's not that difficult to imagine and I don't know why you guys are arguing over it so passionately.

I'd like to see the Falcon, but maybe have it modified just a little bit, so that a few little details here and there have changed (in the interior as well). This would be pretty cool...give you something fresh without it just being the same old ship.

15. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    It IS a fallacy because it deliberately misrepresents and misunderstands the points of those who were critical of the overt use of CGI in the prequels.

And I like my profile pic just fine, thank you very much.

16. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    nooooo! please change it for the good of the community.

17. Heero_Yuy

Nov 28, 2000
    ^
    [​IMG]
    Problem?

18. StrikerKOJ

StrikerKOJ Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2014
    Yes...

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. thejeditraitor

Aug 19, 2003
    ughh my bowels!

20. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    le sigh

21. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I do try and respond in kind... this reponse (the one you quoted) related to a particular bullish post... and where I'd been called 'son'. I don't warm to that... :)

22. Darth_Lilapso

Darth_Lilapso Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    When it comes to the Star Wars saga my first love is the starship designs. So here my thoughts on Episode VII's starships. It has been thirty years or so since the Battle of Endor. We know that the post-BOE era depicted in the old EU is no longer valid. My guess is that despite the best efforts of Imperial Inquisitors, Imperial Admirals and Imperial Generals most of the major ship-building companies quickly aligned themselves with the New Galactic Republic. Industry tends to back or follow a winner. The Galactic Empire is the loser. Plus the fear that Palpatine and Vader inspired is gone. So I'd say that the restored Republic quickly gained access to both old and new Star Destroyer designs. The need for Mon Cal designs will fade with full access to Kuat Engineering products (only one of many examples). However I'm sure this wasn't without controversy. I'd imagine many beings were dismayed by the New Galactic Republic embracing Star Destroyer designs. Their protests were likely heard and compromises were made to limit how and when weapons of war could be used. After all the Republic is not the Empire. Meanwhile the Imperials are declared war criminals and they found themselves having to do what the Rebel Alliance once did - rely on recycled tech and stolen tech. As for starfighter designs - the Republic now has many big motherships at its beck and call. The need for starfighters with hyperdrive would fade somewhat. So starfighters that rely on a mothersip are likely to become the standard for the Republic space navy. Meanwhile the Imperial hold-outs will start to grab up hyperdrive capable starfighters.

23. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Everyone please play nice in here.

24. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    As always there are a lot more things going on in the Star Wars universe than just what is going on the screen. They are only 2 hour plus movies not TV series.

As SF Fantasy films transitions from one thing to another can seem quick and in-universe explanations are held off for only the most important things.

With Lucas it's not random and always has purpose. I don't see how taste applies except to each his own. He did create compelling characters and stories as far as I'm concerned.

Well that is true. It's really not at all close.

Darth PJ likes this.
  25. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    There will be a lot of visual continuity with the OT, I'm sure. I mean they've built a Millennium Falcon and are shooting with 35mm film. JJ won't disappoint!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.