1. Dinos4Ever Jedi Master

star 2
    Something I definitely liked about Abram's Trek movies was the recognition about it. The technology, despite being CGI, had a definitive 1960's feel to it.
    FRAGWAGON likes this.
  2. Bobatron Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  3. Aaronaman Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Episode VII is Disneys chance to make a 'first impression' on SWs fans, meaning this film can either send the SW franchise to the skys or heading to the gutter.

What I think they'll serve up is a film very close the the look and feel of ROTS and the OT....VII will be a very 'Star Wars' Star Wars film!
    Julius Vernon likes this.
  4. KenobiSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    Abrams used quite a few practical sets in Trek, I imagine he'll do the same with Star Wars.
    Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  5. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    I think Trek shows us what his approach will be.
  6. KenobiSkywalker Force Ghost

star 4
    As long as the lens flairs are dialed back a bit I think he'll do great.
  7. Placeholder Force Ghost

star 4
    I don't think we'll see the lens flares. I actually think we're going to see something that resembles the OT, but with a larger scope using the power of CGI.
    Last edited by Captain Tom Coughlin, Oct 22, 2013
    Julius Vernon likes this.
  8. Bobatron Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    There are lens flares in STAR WARS movies, but I'm sure the mere sight of one will make some say "AH LENS FLARE! Damn you Abrams!" as if he's the only one to use it. The more I think about stuff like that, the less I want to see this in a theater opening night.
    FRAGWAGON likes this.
  9. GGrievous Prequel Trilogy Trivia Version 2.0

Game Host
    star 5
    Yeah, those are common light reflections. But imo, JJ Abrams's lens flares are much worse. ;)
  10. TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight

There is a difference in style of lens flare Abrams uses that he has become famous for that is different from the lens flare used in the current films. I think that is what people are wanting to avoid seeing.

This is something I worry about. I have no doubts they will try to make it as close as possible, but when you change the people involved you will inevitable change how it will look. The question is only how much will it change?
  11. Arawn_Fenn Chosen One

star 7
    Yeah, if Han steps into the cockpit of the Falcon and it looks like an Apple store with makeup mirror lighting...

...that's when you'll know.
    SlashMan, Ananta Chetan and Sarge like this.
  12. TheNewEmpire Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Yeah, Lucas clearly lost the plot at some point. It still bugs me when I see that actors head not fitting right on the CGI troopers body.
  13. TheNewEmpire Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    You mean like Chris Nolan?
  14. DarthWilliams Force Ghost

star 4
    Abrams has proven he can take a director's style and replicate it without it being flat. Super 8 was essentially a love letter to early-era Spielberg and felt like watching an early-era Spielberg. I imagine he's more than capable of channeling his SW love and giving us a film that looks and feels like a SW movie.
  15. Han Yolo Jedi Grand Master

star 2

Exactly, and I dont think lens flare will be an issue at all. Abrams has stated multiple times that he knows he went overboard with them in trek. Not to mention, he has also stated that he used them to convey a point in Trek. Trek as we all know is more about exploration, the flares give that idea. New frontiers, new horizons, state of the art equipment.

Now granted he did, "action up" trek...but if anything that should be a great sign for us. I believe Abrams was aiming for a SW Esq film with Trek in terms of action, and we will get tons of it with SW.
  16. Anakin Solo Revanchist Jedi Grand Master

star 4
    What's this "lens flare" people keep bringing up?
  17. Bobatron Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    That wouldn't really be STAR WARS though and Episode VII would get laughed out of the theater if it were made "like the old days". The films have always been innovative in their use of visual effects. It would be ridiculous to purposely dial back just to say they did. People are going to have a more heightened critical perspective on these movies than they do on everything else they flock to seeing. While an Avengers movie or a Harry Potter movie could be stuffed with CGI visual effects work without complaint, a Star Wars movie doing the same gets bashed for not being made with models and matte paintings...and the only reason for that is because people will associate that CGI usage with being the primary problem of the prequels when it was not.
    Thoix Heoro, SlashMan and FRAGWAGON like this.
  18. TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight

[IMG]

I think this looks great. They look like they are actually wearing real armor instead of plastic.
  19. Julius Vernon Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I think these are excellent questions.

Crawl: Definitely
    First shot: Yes, I think it is a star field and pans down to a planet or starship.
    Wipes/Disolves: I strongly think so. I think Abrams is a master of imitation (see Super 8 re: Spielberg), and that's part of why I think Kennedy wanted him so badly.
    Shaky cam/Lens Flare: I don't think so, at least not as overtly as Star Trek, Super 8, et al.
    Practical effects: Some definitely, I hope we get a worn down looking universe that is on the uptick economically and conditionally since the Empire hasn't been in control (to show the success of an unrestrained society).
  20. Julius Vernon Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    "
    You are spot on here. There's a difference between a "light flash" and a "lens flare." Some of the examples that fans try to point to are lightsaber duels. Those a flares from saber battles. A lens flare is the light reflection on the lens of the camera. They can be used well (and sometimes JJ does that), but sometimes they are over the top.
  21. Julius Vernon Jedi Grand Master

star 3

While I don't think this looks as bad as the large groupings of troopers (particularly on Geonosis sands) I still prefer the OT look shone in the other pic. I'm not a PT hater, by any means but I felt much more invested in the OT.

(For what it's worth, I rank the films: V, IV, III, VI, I, II).
  22. Julius Vernon Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm actually a huge fan of the wipes. It always feels very Kurosawa-esque to me. To acknowledge the distraction you felt though; if a viewer feels like it is a distraction then it could be a problem. I'm not sure, is that more common for viewers (I imagine particularly younger viewers) to feel distracted by that?
  23. Ice Jedi Force Ghost

star 3

I couldn't disagree with you more. Being a director is about being able to convey your vision of the script onto the the screen. Working with restrictions is something that every director has to deal with but you shouldn't force them on someone. Besides, sometimes "what you have" is a green screen studio and ILM at your disposal.
    Last edited by Ice Jedi, May 10, 2014