main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Visual Effect=Special Effect?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by RIPLEY426, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Redicolous

Darth_Redicolous Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2002
    And how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

How much wood would woodchuck chuck if woodchuck would chuck wood? :p

sorry :)

2. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    CHUCK Norris.

3. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Sicne this obviously is a query about "how to credit yourself", I suggest you watch my film Intermezzo Dualis (link in .sig below) for proper crediting of self. :)

/Z

4. DeadEyesSmiling

DeadEyesSmiling Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 4, 2003
    And how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

How much wood would woodchuck chuck if woodchuck would chuck wood?

A woodchuck could chuck as much wood as a woodchuck could chuck wood, if a woodchuck could chuck wood.

A woodchuck would chuck as much wood as a woodchuck would chuck wood, if a woodchuck would chuck wood.

Respectively.

-DeadEyesSmiling

5. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    ok, here's the rundown on puppeteering effects in films.....

generally puppets and puppeteering are considered in the special effects section of the credit rool, meaning that when you get down to the area where they list special effects, visual effects, make up effects and the like, that's where you find it. it usually runs in a sequence like this:

a) Make up (and/or) creature effects by: either the effects house responsible or the administrator of said house; i.e. Stan Winston Studios or Steve Johnson EFX group or Chris Wallas or Rob Bottin.

B) Creature design: this would be the guy who designed the beastie in your flick.

C) in this portion you list all who were involved in making said beastie. Sculptor, Armature, Casting (as in plaster casting), runners and such...

D) Puppeteers: this is, of course, where you credit the guy who had his hand up the backside of the beastie on set (or the people working the cable controls/radio control rigs/rope and pulleys, etc.

the only exception to this might be if the puppet in question is actually an integral part of your story, then when you list the cast, you'd list the puppeteers directly under the actor who played the voice... then list the makers of the puppet in the aforementioned effects category...

6. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Thanks!

I´ve got another question:

When you had someone playing a role in your movie- who was cut out- because of any reason- and the role has been replayed by someone else later- Is the first guy worth being metioned in the credtis? or particualarly in the cast?

7. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    if the role becomes recast, the original actor is generally not mentioned in the credits.

here's an example:

in Aliens, the role of Hicks was originally cast to another actor, but he was later replaced by Michael Bein. due to difficulties with reshoots (and a destroyed set piece) one scene featuring the original actor remains in the film (though the scene only shows his back) that actor was not listed in the credits.

however, if it's simply a performance that is ultimately cut from the film entirely, that actor may or may not be listed in the credits at the filmmaker's discretion

example:

in the film The Last Starfighter, Wil Weaton, who you may know from Star Trek: The Next Generation, was cast as a friend of the main character's little brother. his scene(s) were ultimately cut from the film, but his name remains in the credits.

8. RIPLEY426

Apr 28, 2003
    Oh really? Hicks has originally been played by someone else? Why didn´t they take him, what´s the scene (shot) you talked about, how many scenes were allready done with that guy and is there any info about this on one of the "Alien Quadrilogy" box set?

9. FX_guy

FX_guy Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2002
    It was James Remar, who was the main bad guy in 48 Hours, among other films. Let the IMDB'ing begin...

10. dvcameraworld

dvcameraworld Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2004
    hi guys, I have adobes after effects 6 pro with the keylight plugin. Ive decided to use combustion 3 instead. so if any of you guys are interested email me at dvcameraworld@yahoo.com , im not sure how much I want for it but its been registered so $400us may sound like a good price but I am open to a sugested price. if you are interested contact me, shipping will be free cause it isnt that heavey to send threw the post. this is the full version not an upgrade for windows 2000 and XP

11. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    dvcameraworld .....
    Your multi-thread New-York-Cart-Vendor posts are really getting on my nerves.

GET LOST !!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.