main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Visual links between the trilogies.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by StoneRiver, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    This is just a fun discussion while we wait, and I haven't seen any threads where I think this will fit. Of course, if this convo is already happening, please lock/merge. Thank you. :)

With regard to the OT and the PT, there were several visual links to join RotS to ANH, even though there is an in universe 19 year gap, and a 28 year gap between movie release dates.

The first link(and it's a big one for me), the corridors of the Tantive IV, placed deliberately at the end of RotS to link the to the beginning of ANH.
    Another example is the binary sunset scene at the end of RotS which is very reminiscent of the binary sunset in ANH.
    Bail gives the droids to Captain Antilles at the end of RotS, and C-3PO mentions his last master was Captain Antilles in ANH.

I'm sure there are a few more, but I hope you get what I mean using the above examples. Feel free to add more if you are so inclined.

Now to the actual EPVII question - Do you think there will be anything visual towards the beginning of TFA that will be a direct link to the end of RotJ?
    With a possible 30 year in universe gap, I think we, the audience, will need one or two

For example, we may have a scene with Kylo Ren in an abandonded ewok village where he finds the Vader helmet. (Yes, I am aware that this is not included in any spoilers but I'm just spitballing here).
    Maybe the desert planet is Tattooine (one of the suns has been destroyed by one of these super weapons) and we fly past a derelict Jabba's palace.

Regardless of spoilers, are there any visual links you think would be fitting?
    Using the spoilers, are there any visual links you have an idea about?
    Whatever, are there any visual links you would like to see?

Oh, and please do not use returning actors as a visual link, that's not what I mean. [face_peace]

2. Karl0413

Karl0413 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2015
    Don't forget the Millennium Falcon, which is probably the biggest visual link between the two trilogies. Also TIE fighters and Star Destroyers, especially the hangars and bridges.

3. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    The ships themselves wasn't really what I was aiming at, but hangers and bridges, sure. Although the obvious 100% guaranteed one will be the MF cockpit.

And maybe a scene set in the Rebel conference room from RotJ? But this time it's not as full and there isn't actually a crowd watching a presentation. Just ideas for the sake of discussion....

4. Wildcatbarry

Wildcatbarry Jedi Master star 4

Jan 23, 2015
    Beautiful tie in by GL IMO.

JJ may very well do the same for TFA.

We had the ending of ROTJ with our heroes celebrating on Endor.

Here's my Speculative Opening (below idea only) to TFA which I posted some time ago:

Would make good link to the end of ROTJ.

StoneRiver likes this.
  5. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Totally, 100% agree on the GL tie in. And your trilogy end/start linking scene is a good un. I think I would go with the ship approaching Endor and landing. Screenwipe to grave robber in abandoned ewok village, picking up the charred helmet from a pile of ashes...
    Would make good link to the end of ROTJ.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  6. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I think the charred helmet alone is enough of a cue, retrieving it on screen could come across as clunky and unnecessary.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. KitsterAKABobaFett

KitsterAKABobaFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 31, 2007
    Think we'll see a bunch of dorky 80's haircuts a la ROTJ, or are we to assume the hairstyles of the GFFA evolved in real time like ours?

8. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    It would be something if the downed AT-AT were actually in the Jundland Wastes.

9. Vehgah

Vehgah Jedi Knight star 4

May 8, 2014
    I think there's a bigger chance of TFA having a visual tie in to ANH.

Messi likes this.
  10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    visual link? everything i saw in that teaser trailer was OT Falcon, OT Tie Fighter's, OT X-Wing's. The question at this point is whether there's anything New.

11. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Those OT props had the New actors.

We will see the OT actors accompanied with new props. (Hopefully in the next trailer)

StoneRiver likes this.
  12. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    They weren't OT X-wings either... it's a new design... an evolution [face_peace]

thejeditraitor, EHT and Wildcatbarry like this.
  13. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    And the Falcon's new Radar Dish.

14. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    lol , okay new colors for the X-wing's equal new.
    i'll let the auto companies know that :p

Andy Wylde and Wildcatbarry like this.
  15. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    I work in the commercial truck markets.

I won't mention names but there are commercial truck companies that use this equation : new colors=new model year.

LOL

I think the TFA X-wings have a refined engine design if I'm not mistaken.

16. JEDI-RISING

Apr 15, 2005
    oh i know. i don't know how many car ad's i've seen that said "New" , when i knew it was the same old chassis underneath.

Wildcatbarry likes this.
  17. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    they are the mcquarrie concept split engine x wings and they are very different in length and lines.

Luke'sSeveredHand and StoneRiver like this.
  18. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, the X-wing change is a lot more than just new colors.

19. Nando

Nando Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2014
    My opinion. Episodes 1-6 was about Anakin Skywalker. Now begins another story, no thematic link with the other films. Now visually. It seems that there are connections.

20. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Can't agree with this. Episodes 1 - 3 were about Anakin, but 4 - 6 were clearly focused on Luke and how he redeems his father.

danmcken and Wildcatbarry like this.
  21. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    I think you may need to do a closer comparison between OT X-wing and ST X-wing. Colour has nothing to do with it. Compare the wings more closely

22. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Here we go:
    [​IMG]

thejeditraitor, EHT and StoneRiver like this.
  23. Wildcatbarry

Jan 23, 2015
    Those pictures are taken form very similar perspective angles.

Intentional by JJ?

24. StoneRiver

Oct 6, 2004
    Nice. Is there a comparison pic of the wings open? That's how I first noticed the difference.
    So X-wings are a visual link between trilogies, but they have changed.
    Other than the Kylo/Endor/Vader helmet scenario, are there any more that could be done without being forced, in the same way GL got the visual links to ANH from RotS?

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I think all of the details and differences got pretty well documented within THIS thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.