main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Visual Links (Note: Image heavy, may contain Ep VII spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
  2. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

Uh. That's a conspiracy website. Looking for symbolism in films is certainly valid, but if you're getting to the point where you think the Illuminati is using film imagery to foreshadow 9/11, you've gone too far.

Darthmaul208 and darklordoftech like this.
  3. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Sure but it's fun anyway and Lucas has his own "conspiracy" with the ring structure and imagery.

A conspiracy of one.

4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Stuff from the new TFA trailer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Darthmaul208 likes this.
  5. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    "I will come back and free you, mom. I promise"/"I´m here mom."

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    A gif from Star Wars and a gif from The Force Awakens
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

MarcJordan and Jedi-Gambino like this.
  7. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Thought I'd bump this thread to suggest input from anyone who can add TFA parallels.

Thanks for all group collaboration on this thread so far.

MarcJordan and Darthmaul208 like this.
  8. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I can't find the actual images necessary (this will be easier once TFA is on BR), but for anyone who can:

• Han and Leia hugging in RotJ, the "hold me" scene/their parting farewell hug in TFA
    • Darth Vader blocking Han's blaster bolts/Kylo Ren extending his hand to freeze Poe's
    • Luke, Obi-Wan, and the droids looking out on Mos Eisley from a cliff/Finn looking at Niima Outpost from a heightened sand dune
    • The trench run from ANH/the brief trench run shot from TFA
    • Leia putting the Death Star plans in R2/Poe putting the Jedi Temple map inside BB-8
    • Millennium Falcon navigating the interior of the Death Star II in RotJ/Millennium Falcon navigating the interior of the Super Star Destroyer in TFA
    • Darth Maul impaling Qui-Gon in TPM/Darth Vader slicing through Obi-Wanin ANH/Kylo Ren running through Han in TFA
    • Obi-Wan using the Force to grab Qui-Gon's lightsaber in TPM/Luke using the Force to grab his lightsaber in RotJ/Rey using the Force to grab the lightsaber out of the snow in TFA
    • Luke taking his stormtrooper helmet off to rescue Leia in ANH/Finn doing the same to rescue Poe in TFA
    • Obi-Wan opening his chest to retriever Anakin's ligthsaber in ANH/Rey opening Maz's chest to retrieve the same lightsaber in TFA
    • Rebel fleet leaving the Death Star before it explodes/Rebel fleet leaving the Death Star II before it explodes/Resistance fleet leaving the Starkiller Base before it implodes
    • Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan lowering their hoods in TPM/Obi-Wan lowering his hood in ANH/Luke lowering his hood in RotJ/Luke lowering his hood in TFA
    • 3PO interrupting Han and Leia's kiss in TESB/3PO interrupting Han and Leia's reunion in TFA.
    I believe Jakku has twin moons, in contrast to Tatooine's twin suns. It's almost like the bright lights of Luke's dreams in ANH have dimmed somewhat, as the harsh realities of life have set in and the cruel years have gone by. Also, Vader confronting Leia at the start of ANH pairs nicely with Kylo confronting a freshly captured Poe, but so does Tarkin/Leia since both she and Poe are flat out rude to their captor's face. Also, Vader and Kylo having their helmets removed; each reveals their true vulnerability in doing so. Vader is this broken, scarred husk of a man, whereas Kylo is really just a scared, insecure kid playing pretend. Kylo wishes he had Vader's scars, so Rey leaves him with one. OH, also Vader exiting his Imperial shuttle and Kylo exiting his command shuttle, with all the fog and whatnot. And of course, the opening shots of ANH, TESB, RotJ, and TFA utilize Star Destroyers. Um, the first characters we meet in ANH are 3PO and R2, and in TFA it's BB-8. Vader Force choking people whereas Kylo wrecks stuff with his lightsaber.
    That's all I've got for right now. Go nuts.

EDIT: Hang on, one more. Luke refuses to kill his father, so his father saves him. Kylo's father tries to save him, but Kylo refuses salvation and kills him.

9. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    Vader's burned face vs. Kylo Ren's facial scar from the TFA duel. This link is easier to understand if you know that a big inspiration for Darth Vader was Jack Kirby's Doctor Doom from Fantastic Four.

10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm also pretty sure the Phantom from Brian de Palma's Phantom of the Paradise had some influence as well (seriously, think about it), especially as de Palma and Lucas are friends.

MarcJordan and ATMachine like this.
  11. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Came across this video today that has a lot of the visual links between A New Hope and The Force Awakens. Really cool, and I kind of got chills at the end.

12. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Some shoots were so similar, I forgot which movie was on the left and which on the right.

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  13. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Not a visual link, but...

ROTS (Mustafar)
    Nute Gunray: Welcome, Lord Vader. We've been expecting you. (gets killed by Vader)

ROTJ (Death Star II)
    Palpatine: Welcome, young Skywalker. I have been expecting you. (Luke the catalyst for Anakin killing Palpatine).

14. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    In TPM, Amidala arrives surrounded by handmaidens who wear red and Palpatine bows to her. In ROTJ, Palpatine arrives surrounded by guards whi wear red and Vader bows to him.

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
  16. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I was thinking about how Episode I connects or parallels to Episode IV recently. What I noticed is The Naboo Security is the only military we see on screen for most of the film. Yes there are Judicials in the beginning but they get killed off. Anyway, I was trying to see if there was a parallel between Naboo Forces and Imperial soldiers and what I noticed is some of the helmets look similar.

Hell even the Judicials and Imperials have a parallel.
    [​IMG]
    Opening scene of The Phantom Menace

[​IMG]

Opening scene of Return of the Jedi

Of course, we know this is still a far cry from the militant Republic we see in Episode III but the parallels between the unorganized Republic militias and the overwhelming Imperial war machine is still there. It makes me wonder if Lucas maybe thought of having the Republic "come together" originally when the Clone Wars came. Having the Republic militias and security forces unite under one banner to form a military force against a threat.

Just something I noticed. :p

17. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    That was probably part of his original idea for the Rebel Alliance, actually - the 1973 Journal of the Whills mentions the "Alliance of Independent Systems" which seems to be a coalition ranged against the Galactic Empire.

Deliveranze likes this.
  18. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

Ohhh. That could be it too :D Quite interesting either way.

19. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    [​IMG]

One is seeking counsel from a living being and he ignores it because it's something he doesn't want to hear

the other other is seeking counsel from someone long dead and has to assume he is doing what they would have wanted (even though we all know it's not)

20. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
  21. Pyrogenic

Pyrogenic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2006
  22. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Forgive my ignorance, but what movie are those stills from?

23. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Second image is Tron: Legacy.

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    yeah i think he knows that. i don't know what the second image is from but it isn't sw.

25. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013

That may just be the safe way to hand someone a Lightsaber. I was alway told as a kid to hand kitchen knives to Mom handle first.