main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Visual Links (Note: Image heavy, may contain Ep VII spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by HevyDevy, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Another good selection here, Samnz.

You're beginning to think quite abstractly about space and character habitation -- I can see.

I tell you what I dig noticing it just now: the red and then blue reflections coming off Amidala and Sidious and Maul respectively in those adjacent images. See it? The sheen of the world of the "Old Republic".

The Sith frames are excellent, too. I've always loved that "hero" shot of Anakin, confidently strutting forward, the wind blowing his garments, walking away from Obi-Wan (irony), his own man. In a child-like gesture, however, that cuts both ways, Artoo remains faithfully at his side, even here, when the guy is looking like an Adonis.

The shot of Padme waiting is delectable. Her sentient gaze is very nearly being cast on Anakin like those eerie light rays in the background. And what a background it is, with those numerous pillars curving into the distance, snaking 'round like some super-sized zoetrope. Padme and pillars. Think back to TPM. She is somehow associated with the lonely grandeur of this period. And black to his black. The blood-red floor is also strikingly suggestive. But I also love the grey and brown floor decals which characterize ROTS.

Luke lives in a world of such grain compared to these smooth, polished, bright, and very controlled shots found in ROTS. It's a pretty sharp contrast: from an enlarged world of dream and illusion to a quotidian recuperation on a dustbowl world. The symbolic challenge to the Republic / Empire comes from the sparest planet in the saga.

ThreadSketch, QuangoFett and Samnz like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Interesting attempted connections via the first page. Though I think some are over reaching and misinterpreted. Particularly regarding Dooku. He never 'asked' Anakin to use his anger. He called the boy out for not using it. There's a difference.

lord_sidious_ likes this.
  3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Well, yeah. He was trying to make Anakin angry though, by taking Kenobi out of the fight for example. The whole encounter was a Sith test for Anakin afterall.

4. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    There are some really good posts in this thread, and a hell of a lot of barrel scraping going on as well.

5. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Star Wars is a very big barrel to scrape around in.

6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Hardly a legitimate link, I know, but just something stupid that came to mind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    First impressions:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    A humorous moment of successful "persuasion"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You know, despite the obvious personality differences, it is remarkable how similar of a role Jar Jar plays in TPM to the one Han plays in ANH.

9. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    I've said this and been pilloried for it -- but it's true.

Though, what's interesting about the shots you've just pulled up, is that Jar Jar is compositionally linked with Threepio.

Great juxtaposition.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    thought i'd put this here as well...

i really love how the rotj death star spire turned into the jedi temple spire.​

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also the emperor's medical center.​

.[​IMG]

the duel in ROTJ is in the throne room spire. also the duel in aotc is in the geonosian spire.​

[​IMG]

rots duel in the invisible hand spire...​

[​IMG]
    after the duel in esb luke also ends up on an inverted spire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TKT, FRAGWAGON, Seagoat and 5 others like this.
  11. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    thejeditraitor

This is terrific. I hadn't thought of this connection before, but it brings to mind the philosophical history of primordial mounds that have been studied extensively by anthropologists.

thejeditraitor and Cryogenic like this.
  12. Cryogenic

Jul 20, 2005
    Indeed. A great insight.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  13. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Ruler of the galaxy arrives:

[​IMG]

Ruler of the galaxy arrives:

[​IMG]

Saga Explorer and Cryogenic like this.
  14. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    I always liked this comparison

[​IMG]

15. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    ^^^
    Nice. Just what this sort of thread should be about.

16. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Interesting how the braids/curls in the painting are mirrored in the Queen's headpiece. Twice, even.

Cryogenic likes this.
  17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    A lot of SW is inspired from religion. George mimicking poses from more well known biblical art doesn't surprise me at all, frankly. I believe he once even directly referred to Palpatine as a sort of "Satan figure"

18. Imperial Reject

Imperial Reject Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    Yes,I remember watching Star Wars: The Legacy Revealed on the History Channel it had a lot of stuff like that, it really opened my eyes about a lot of stuff in the films and I think they even used the painting that I posted as well

19. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I'm thinking there might be use for a thread of non-Star Wars films that have possible connections with Saga, just to disambiguate it from the countless times the series references itself. That being said, I'll throw one out there that looks like a possible influence:
    [​IMG]
    This is Alla Nazimova from the film SALOME (1923). To me, this really had a Queen Amidala feel to it, particularly this gown:
    [​IMG]

From moon gadget, there was a more direct comparison between an earlier dress, and a Mongolian Princess's attire:
    [​IMG]

Between Leia and Amidala, there's a lot to appreciate in the wardrobe department; Lucas didn't go with the cliched 'This is a princess. This is a queen'.

20. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
    One of Padme's costumes is based of Borte, wife of Genghis Khan. I think its the one above. Genghis met her when he was 9. Genghis was also a slave as a child. He became leader of an empire and a villain known for his brutality. Genghis was also not his birth name, he got it when he was proclaimed leader of the Mongols.

[​IMG]
    Grand Duchess Xenia Alexandrovna is the inspiration for her episode 2 outfit.

[​IMG]

Her wedding dress seems to come from Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother

Two of her costumes are inspired by Elizabeth I

[​IMG][​IMG]

Start of episode 2 her high collar senate outfit. Its not a ruff. Its a mix of the high collar and the silhouette of the open ruff

[​IMG]

The end of episode one has the halo favoured by Elizabeth.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  21. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Great stuff. See my previous posts for Seven Samurai visual links.

22. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Yes! This stuff is fascinating. So, years ago there was a similar thread on this very forum which inspired me to go off and make the three part "Star Wars Visual Symphony" on youtube. Years ago I actually finished it, and I'm glad there is still such a thread as this, even if there is the occasional far-fetched and barrel scraping post.

(part 1 is here: )

I've had the idea that the "sequel" should be a montage of Star Wars with other non-Star Wars movies that are directs influences, like Anakin's entrance to the Tusken Village in Episode II compared to the similar sequence in The Searchers, or Jar Jar's Buster Keaton routine with the "dumb droid" in Episode I compared to Buster Keaton's actual routine with the mini cannon. Including paintings and other historical photos would be cool too.

23. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Cool video. A lot of stuff I'd seen but a fair amount of stuff I wouldn't have caught.

24. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Awesome job. Lots of subtle stuff, like Anakin's finger-wagging. Beautiful music choices.

Looking forward to the next video! You could use Across the Stars and juxtapose the meadow scene in AOTC with the juvenile romance in Seven Samurai.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  25. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    That was top notch, Rhane-1138 !

I decided to investigate the LOTR/Star Wars connection as best as I could, seeing as they are both such distinctly important and influential pieces of modern mythmaking. I wanted to center specifically on Mustafar/Mordor, as I've always found it a happy coincidence that two of the most memorable uses of volcanic imagery in the history of cinema were released a mere year and a half apart.

This led me to some fun but simple visual parallels:

Welcome to Hell
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Journeymen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Flipping through these frames led to the discovery of my new favorite "obscure" visual of the saga. I'll leave it to you to analyze this piece of stark beauty):
    [​IMG]

Decision Point
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(continued on next page)

bstnsx704 likes this.